1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Job on SV

Discussion in 'Tech' started by etemplet, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I'm sorry but I showed you a picture of a brand new stock gasket. The proof of what I have at hand is in there. If its not in agreement with what you have then that's fine, one of our instruments is out of calibration. Attacking me because of that though is a shit head thing to do.

That said a used head gasket measured .030 which agrees with your statement so what's to say that you have ever measured a new gasket and are just going off what you found on the internet?

See I can do it too.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You tell me cause you know everything about the SV and through the magic of not being here you can tell me I'm wrong.

3. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

I have measured a new gasket. It measures .030. Your tool is accurate. Your abilitiy to measure correctly is not. Im not attacking you. Im stating an actual fact. You dont know what youre talking about. So stop sharing it.

4. benprobst

looks like old stock Spears or Zlock.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

"you have no fucking idea".

Your entire post was an attack on me. Never once did you say or hint at, "you tool is out of wack.". instead you attacked me, me personally, in your post.

Then you deny it. :rolleyes:

edit: read again. Wanna tell me how I measured incorrectly?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Not Spears.

Zlock, stock bore

It has been coated by performance coatings though....which is why it lasted so long.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

If I keep the how the same but change the where I can get .024, .030 or .039 thickness. So which one is right?

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I dont give a rats arse, just keep fighting about it

9. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

What's right is what Probst is telling you. (edit a comma and descriptive term) You may have a picture of calipers on a brand new gasket showing .039", but that is not what engine builders call the "thickness" of the gasket. Is that the thickness of the gasket as it exists installed in the engine? You know, when it really matters? No. You've posted two pictures that suggest you need to back away from providing information here. Why do I feel like I'm repeating what many others have stated over time? Because I am, I guess.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Measure near the edge away from the raised portion of the gasket. That part gets flattened out when you torque the head down to 500 ft lbs....:p

11. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were measuring anything wrong, just that the .006" variance was worth another look. It's odd, and you should figure out why. If you sift the chaff out of this thread I think you'll find the answers you need, and you can carry on from there. Running a 3-layer or 2-layer gasket setup is fine either way, it's up to you. There's machine work in your future more than likely. :beer:

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The installed thickness isn't .030 either.

13. benprobst

Someone find me a brick wall, quick.

14. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

That depends on the manufacturer of the gasket, Suzuki or Cometic. .030" is in the ballpark for a 3-layer and a lot closer to correct than .039." That's a "fact."

More fodder for fence yellers.

15. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I didn't take it in a bad way and I really appreciate your input. Hope I didn't sound to pompous. I measure stuff way to much and I'll measure it all again before I do anything. I am a perfectionist when it comes to mechanical equipment.

I have an issue with more than .002" variance on the deck height, so I have to cut them. I just need to decide exactly where I am going to go with the deck which means I need a really accurate number for a specific head gasket. I'd like to use OEM or something as good.

The mechanical stuff is where I excel. I'm no tuner or HP getter. :D and I'm not fast either. Ed Bargy says guys like me have a long career in racing. :crackup:

16. benprobst

Stock base gasket. Set deck height to .010 and use a stock head gasket. Done. No concerns. Touch up the seats and head, cam swap, and fresh rings 79-82hp with your flat slides.

17. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

That's why I purchased the flat slides.... cuz "you told me to." LOL :up:

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I about shit when I saw both of these..

Please please Please Keep going. ET Ask some more questions of Mr. Sunny. Don't follow them but he has to be like a level 56 Troll.

I love it when people tell Guys like Rick and JD stuff about what they do for a living and have been for years.

This is great!! Hey Hey... Guys can I run Rotella in my 90hp SV??

Oh yeah ET you gonna come make the WERA round at NOLA? Thats a serious question. I gotta get some time on mine.

Oh resume please!

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What is the level range?

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

So what is it, Mr. Science? Let' see your deck height measurement tools and squish measurement tools. I can't wait for the comedy.