1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Job on SV

Discussion in 'Tech' started by etemplet, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Your bias. I never said I was a professional motor builder. You did. Don't assert your bias on me and then call me a troll.

And your example of "pistons touch" is simplistic so if I want to act like how you are acting right now, you are giving out misleading and oversimplified examples.

Again I ask...am I to give out the entire details of a motor build when speaking only about one aspect of it? You don't and you are a pro....so why should I?

Should I say that once you start above 13.5:1 you need to be careful about everything you do with the motor including how you warm it up and what fuel you run? You don't.

So again stop projecting your bias on me.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

my sv650 revs faster than my 675R. Not so slow revving now is it?

3. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Yes, it is.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No.

5. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

That's me. 80HP pump gas. :up: My first one was 74.3SAE hp and it was great for me ! Up about 9-10hp from when we first measured it.

As for compression, I more or less figured 12:1. I never got serious with that as I'm kinda skeered of compression. Getting it to breath better is more my goals but I am certainly no engine builder. I use my butt calculator to determine real HP gains.

I'm no engine builder but I work on them, any kind, any where. :D Just don't know how to make them go fast so I try to make them go a lil faster and not go BOOM ! I can't exploit HP, suspension set up and treachery are my main assets. Riding ability keeps out of the ditch :eek: but doesn't make my lap times faster. Ha ha.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Is that the $25K 675R?:Poke::D

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

We need Ed Who to join in on this cat fight...

8. benprobst

I was just going to say, we have 3 of the top 10 BBS ass holes in here. Where is Eric/Ed, Mongo, and Mad Brad. :crackup:

9. etemplet

Yes and now I am totally confused. :confused: Happens evvah time. :D

Oh well, going to pull the heads off. :up:

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I thought I said $22k.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

pictures! :)

12. etemplet

I had to go bowling.... so I'll get on it tomorrow. :D

13. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Rick from RM Racing straight up knows his stuff and will help you get it back together right the first time. I'd go with whatever he recommends.

14. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

This can only be settled in Thunderdome.

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Just don't hurt RM's hands, I need him to do some motor work for me.

15. etemplet

What's the fun in that ??? It's the adventure not the destination that is important. LOL :rock: It's gonna run, it has no choice. :up:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  16. etemplet

Pulled the heads off today and checked the deck height. What is all this black stuff on the head and cylinder? Kinda rubbery but not to difficult to remove. Almost looks like Teflon.

Front cylinder .013 - .017"

Rear cylinder .019" - .022"

So it begins. LOL I didn't want to do all this but..

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

how did you measure?

18. benprobst

+1. Also how did you hold the cylinder down? 36ft lb?

The black stuff is head gasket material.

19. etemplet

I made spacers years ago for the head bolts. Oddly enough, when I was looking around for something, I found them. LOL

How did I measure ? - I am a machinist (my trade skillz) with a lathe and such at home (I used depth Mics). I am dangerous to any mechanical device. 10 years ago I made an angle block to machine the head surfaces in the lathe. The block has been sitting there waiting for me to use it again but since I don't have adjustable cam gears.... I probably won't touch the head, unless some knowledgeable person tells me it is OK (I reserve the right to determine who that knowledgeable person is. LOL)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  20. etemplet

So Ben I measured the head gasket thickness and it was .017" I did not see where it was a 2 part gasket. It looked to be "one piece" to me. Could that be some kind of aftermarket gasket ?

I am also wondering why the deck height is at a variance (roughly .006" - or 2 cunt hairs)