1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Job on SV

Discussion in 'Tech' started by etemplet, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I run a 2006 gsxr600 front end on my 03 and I like it. For the rear wheel I run a 06 gsxr600 wheel. Since you are going SBK then with that 02 you can just do the cam swap and there is no need for an FI bike unless you like FI.

2. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I don't know how you guys do the GSXR rear wheel but it was a heck of a lot of work for me. I didn't like cutting so much off the sprocket carrier and didn't like the bolts so close to the swingarm so I took a little off of the carrier and the rim for a better fit space wise.

How do you guys get the cush drive rubbers to fit properly ?? That is a true pain in the @zz. I had to cut the rubbers and then grind the rim a bit to get the drive to fit neatly in to the wheel.

I have the second rear rim and sprocket carrier machined but I need to fit the rubbers and make a set of captive spacers for it.

I will also look for some cool looking body work. I don't like the SV look but it may end up on there.

Thanks for all the input !! :up:

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What I did is send my carrier to Zoran and gave him some money. The rest was magic. :)

4. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

You forgot to turn the countrer shaft sprocket around didnt you.

5. etemplet

I actually have not installed it yet other than just to look at the wheel spacing and clearance. I did the machine work on the first rim a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the reminder though. :up:

6. etemplet

Oh Yes, I take the difficult route often. I spent a lot of time on Zoran's site before I made my decision. :bow:

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You done yet? Pictures?

8. benprobst

Yeah speed it up buddy. Ive built 6 motors since you started this thread. :D

9. etemplet

I'm thinking I am not managing my retirement all too well with regard to motorcycles. They always seem to be LAST on my priority list. I tried to start my R6 and it ran like crap (pulled the injectors and have to send them off).

Everything IS apart. LOL I just need to do some packaging and parts ordering.

Sunshine, I am ultra slow when working on motorcycles unless I need IT. Picturewise might be November. I have a rather Large backhoe that needs some attention as well and THAT machine gets my work done quick fast and in a hurry. LOL

10. etemplet

You want a picture.... you got it !! :beer:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  11. etemplet

I pulled the valves out of the head. Looks like they need some attention. More than I can do at home for sure.

12. etemplet

Okie Dokie, I suck so bad, I am just now beginning work on the SV after I pulled the heads and measured the deck height and such. Then of course, I pick a night when it is frosty cold to start machining the heads. I faced off .010". I am sending the heads to Ben this week and in the meantime I'm gonna deck the cylinders, which doesn't take long.

I am thinking of doing some kind of Dash for the SV. I just don't know what. It has an autometer tack. (1st Gen bike). We'll see. I want to make it a really nice track bike.

13. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I've had both a MyChron dash as well as the Spa tach/temp gauge. I preferred the MyChron, but the Spa is much better than the autometer. I had one briefly and found it didn't like the vibration all that much.

14. etemplet

I had an autometer on my F3.... broke the needle off the tach every other race weekend.

Which Mychron did you have ?? I have a lap timer that I am going to mount some place. Got any pics ??

15. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I'd have to try and dig up some old photos. It was a MyChron 3 Gold.

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

BenProbst, I finally remembered to come back and ask this question. As per your post back in August, you suggested that a new valve in an SV not be lapped or seated in when replacing them. Why is that? What is the coating that you mentioned? What material are the valves made of?

Just curious.

17. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

It's a stellite coating. So If you do choose to lap them in, buy 18 valves 1 Extra Intake and 1 Extra Exhaust. It should be a steel valve.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  18. benprobst

Where did you find V4 SV? :D

But yep T is right. Lap with properly shaped old valve or buy one to put in tool box and use multiple times.

19. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry, I mostly build 4 cylinders, was working on a 1000 when I posted this. Please change said number to 10.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Stellite is not a coating. It is an alloy. Titanium valves are coated.