1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracks and greedy power costs

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Feb 21, 2017.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

One time, at a track I won't name, I had some (what I thought were) very valid concerns over the relatively low amp draw that was tripping a breaker. After bringing this up more than a few times, I witnessed someone pull said 15A breaker out of the box and put a 20A breaker in with, to my knowledge, no other changes. I'm far from a professionally trained electrician, but I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. I started using my genny after that.

The power costs at Summit are reasonable. The power, however, is not. I get that the power demands of today are significantly higher than they were when those boxes were put in, but just because something has a 30A plug on it doesn't mean there's 30A coming out of it. With a tire machine and a compressor and air con making the trailer a lot more pleasant to be in during the summer months, I still have to use a genny at Summit even when I'm on 30A.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Summits power boxes aren't that old :D

I think the issue there might be when people are using the all of the outlets in one box.

With AC and a compressor I'm surprised you aren't wired up for 50.

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I fly enough that I am Diamond so I am in Economy Comfort at the very worst. I am only 6' but I can barely squeeze in to the standard seats. When I add everything I get up and try to maintain the same flying experience the "low cost" airlines really are not low cost at all.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

haha... its not like the staff doesnt know this either & how they keep a straight face charging
    to use the pedestals is beyond belief.

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, I run the numbers pretty regularly on other airlines and with us being in ATL they're usually not cheaper or not enough to matter.

We're just lowly silvers although lately I've been able to arrange our times so we can get first for only a couple hundred more than comfort plus and use miles to make up the difference so it's the same cost for the company. It's nice to have some leeway on flight times, just have to make sure I get enough sleep to drive wherever I need to and/or work the event.

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I am. But a 30A plug is what's available and it's an issue even when I'm on my own box.

And even if that wasn't the case, if a box has a 30A plug and two sets of 15A or 20A outlets, there should be enough juice running to that box to provide adequate power to all 3, right? Again, I'm no electrician, but having to switch the AC off when the compressor is running or making sure I don't put a load on the turntable when the compressor is cycling got old real fast.

7. Oh yeah, and for the record, I didn't want to buy pallets of water. I didn't need it nor want it. It was the principle of the thing. She made me do it. Not to mention that I could say some shit like that, then not follow through. :D

Boman Forklift and crashman like this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Just make sure you dont bump my drink as you walk past on your way to Coach...:D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why not use one of the 50 amp boxes? They're the tall ones, I think there are two per group of boxes there - even more if you want to go back under the trees.

I agree there should be enough power for all three - however I also think that may not be how it's wired. I could see someone not having a clue assuming if you're using the 30 you wouldn't use the others - so when the normal Summit thing happens and you plug into the 30 and someone else snags the other outlets you're drawing more than the 30 they have allocated for that box as a whole. Not saying that's how it is, just that it wouldn't surprise me any.

10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

That depends on how they wired it up. The 30 amp is only a 120 volt feed, and if they fed the 15 or 20 amp receptacle(s) from the same 120 volt line (off of the load side of the 30 amp breaker) you are limited to 30 amps total, not 30 + the 15 or 20

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Doesn't your brother run that org?

[​IMG]

12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow. I just love shortsighted crap like that.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's my evil twin Skippy :D

He runs NASCAR, the tracks we've all talked about are owned by themselves as a corp and all those corps are owned by ISC - which is public but run by the France family.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it weren't for our customers there are some we'd never go back to. Then again there are some we won't go back to because of other things but they've got to push really far into safety and the like for us to go that route. Normally we just suck it up and pay.

15. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

This thread has just encouraged me to bring BOTH my generators with me on all trips....

r6boater and TLR67 like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

$25 a day is still less than I'd pay to run my genset for 24 hours doing both AC units and other stuff. I use more than half a gallon of diesel an hour.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I could care less about the $25-$100.... I don't want to burn my camper down or fry a set of warmers.... I know the power output of my stuff......

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally understand that.

I need to research more on what protection the RV has.

Also need to figure out the power controls, it should fire up the genset at a certain point to recharge the batteries but doesn't (sure it' on my end) also don't see the solar panels charging the house batteries either.

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Oh no you don't, I've been pissing and moaning about camping fees and the like for years :D

20. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Like xrated said earlier, Progressive Industries EMS system is the real deal. Microprocessor controlled, cuts power to rig for almost any issue imaginable.