1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracks and greedy power costs

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Feb 21, 2017.

1. :crackup:

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  2. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Rates will vary by geographical area, here in my city, in the summer, which is about the highest rate in the state, it costs 9 cents per kwh. So assuming a set of tire warmers is 1000 W, and that the average person runs their warmers for 8 hours a day, that cost would be 72 CENTS per day to run a set of warmers. So say a bunch of people have 2 bikes or 3, and the average for the paddock is 2 sets per person. That would be about $1.44 of electricity used per person. EVERY single track overcharges, which makes sense because 1) they're making money, it's a business, 2) they have to make up the money that it cost to set up all the power....but you can't tell me that $20-30 a day charge is fair. That is way overpriced. But in the end...it's a convenience fee. They'll charge as much as people are willing to pay for it, and people like me who don't want to spend $1000+ on a generator are sucking it up and are willing to pay for it. I like the tracks that have car ports/garages or amenities like that and you rent a spot and it includes power. My local track charges $20/day for a spot like that. That I'm willing to do because I get power, I get a light and I get a roof over the bikes and myself which is nice to have.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It is a bit ironic for someone that buys pallets of bottled water, driving a 6 figure rig, with a paid mechanic/mentor to bish about $25 :D

Boman Forklift and Sabre699 like this.
  4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I get what he's saying, it's the principle. I particularly like the fee for blue jeans in the theater example :D

5. [​IMG]

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Come race out at AAA in Fontana, Comnifornia

We get free garages and free power hookups. No extra charge for your deathstar either. I have to say that still surprises me, but it has been that way ever since I started going there in 2010.

WERA always has a January race out here. Bring your wife and kids, go see Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm, universal studios, 6 Flags, go skiing, wine country or the beach.

If I know you from here, I can even put up one or two of you knuckleheads if you don't bring your own deathstar.

Then you could also race at chuckwalla, but they change you 25 or 50 to bring in your camper and don't even have electricity to buy. But they did build bathrooms and showers in the past couple years.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Gorilla George likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

3000 mile round trip in the Deathstar for free hookups...that there is sound financial logic.

Gorilla George and DucatiBomber like this.
  8. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

We're talking about the guy that goes through hundreds of shields because he didn't want to use tear-offs.

GixxerBlade and DucatiBomber like this.
  9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I was recently at Homestead in Miami. Same thing. Your race entry gets you a garage and power. No idea about RV costs, but it was nice for a fly in round to not have to sweat power and some cover from the sun.

Boman Forklift and DucatiBomber like this.
  10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

It's the principal of the situation.
    What are you not understanding?
    :D

Ride safe,
    AAron

Gorilla George and V5 Racer like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

you gotta start somewhere...

how do you want to rack up gazillions of $ without starting to save somewhere? :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What does a principal have to do with a non-school dilemma.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  13. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Nice catch!

Ride safe,
    AAron

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You should hear the complaints about gate fees :D

crashman likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I got gigged on that one a couple weeks ago. :D

DucatiBomber likes this.
  16. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

So you haven't bought a coach seat on a domestic flight recently have you?

Leg Room Fee
    Check In Fee
    Checked Bag Fee
    Overhead Bin Fee
    and on and on....

Or had a checking account. They have extra fees for everything!

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh, did that at Jennings in a flood. Could tell when I was walking near the extension cords because the water got warmer :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Wait a minute, is this the idtio of 2017? I still have a few minutes to edit...

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's funny to me it's taken this long for people to bitch about the track add ons.

FWIW - most or all of the gate fee for rider/crew goes to us to help pay the bills and keep the entry fees down while still paying the bills.

None of the other fees go to us.

We've had tracks charge us for an RV spot even though we had a check for 30 grand to hand them....

helicopter99 and ekraft84 like this.
  20. Nope, I haven't. My company arranges all of my travel through Amex. But if I did have too, I would be bitching about that too. :D

I can see paying the difference between regular economy and economy comfort (or plus, or executive, or whatever each airline calls it). And obviously I can see the difference between flying economy and flying Business. In all honesty, even though it is kind of a stretch, I can even see the justification for them charging extra for heavy bags (require more fuel).

But I wouldn't be ok with "you are in seat 6B, that will be $250....................unless your carry on luggage is blue, then it will be an additional $20".