1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toni Elias wants to race in MotoAmerica

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Aug 14, 2015.

1. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Sheridan Morais acclimated pretty well and is doing extremely well on a bike that hasn't really been raced here before. I wouldn't call him the same level as Elias either...close though.

2. ew422

ew422 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

3. I seriously doubt that (assuming he was on a good team/bike). I think you are either drastically underestimating his talent, or overestimating the talent of the mid-pack US guys.

We have some good riders sure. But to think a relatively recent Moto2 Champion would be mid-pack in a US National series is a little silly. Do you remember how our Superbike Champion did in Moto2?

Of course there were other factors involved in that situation/lack of results. But to think our series Champion can't crack the Moto2 top 20, but the Moto2 Champion would be mid-pack in our series, that just doesn't add up.

In order for our series to be seen as a premier series, we need premier riders. And having a long time World competitor and former Moto2 Champion on our grid would bring more credibility to the series...which helps everyone.

4. :stupid:

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Surely you jest.

6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Ok fine, let's say he wins like crazy. Do you think that will bring in new and returning fans? because to build the series back to it's former glory, that's what it will take. I don't think he can. It will take a real popular rider. This is the heart of the issue to me, don't support someone that is not helping draw in fans.

You guys will watch either way...think bigger picture and about the long game. That guy could win every race but he ain't gonna pack the stands. We need people excited to watch again and those people are not watching now...they might come back (or start watching) if a very popular rider jumps in.

Hayes is pretty dang popular and he's not quite enough to get the fan draw...no way in hell would Elias do better than Hayes at bringing in the fans.

Argue all day about Elias winning or not...I don't care. I'm looking bigger picture. We need another Nicky or Mladin, or Duhamel...a racer that will have posters on everyone's wall and people will go to races hoping to catch a glimpse of them. Elias is not that racer.

7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

The biggest problem was that Hodsdon was trying to run an AMA special pile 999 against full legit factory yosh bikes.

I'm confident that on equal equipment, in his prime hodgson would have faired better.

The 999 was good for what it was but it was no yosh bike.

And no, it wasn't on par with the wsbk 999 either:(

8. So because Elias doesn't fit YOUR idea of what a popular racer is, we shouldn't offer him support?

Did you ever stop to think that he might be popular in other countries, thereby bringing an International draw to the MotoAmerica races?

We need as many big names on the grids as possible. And I see nothing negative about a rider with the background of Elias on the grids in the US.

V5 Racer likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What guys like Elias bring to the series isn't popularity, it's legitimacy. During the DMG days, AMA was barely more than a glorified club race. In most cases, it was the same guys you'd see at a WERA national (nothing against WERA). Hanging world champions in the paddock says THIS IS PRO RACING, which brings in sponsors, who have money, which means more paid rides, which grows the sport, etc, etc, etc.

10. :stupid:

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Is this a reference to his report card from a prominent university? I heard he had some good marks. ;)
    Two words, TV coverage.
    I think it's safe to say not all fans attend the races. There are plenty of Hayes fans, as witnessed, perhaps, by the number of riders wearing white boots at your local trackday.
    While Elias may not draw the shallow fans, the astute fan knows who he is and that may fair well, but I would hardly put the popularity of the series' future on any one rider, save Rossi.

When Ferracci raced the MV with Lynn and Scassa, he had a choice to make...Lynn or Hodgson. I'd like to think my voice had something to do with his choice. I repeated something Eraldo already knew...Lynn placed 5th overall on a SS bike at a track no one had raced before, Miller. The other thing I said, and this is kinda messed up, he wouldn't have to pay Matt as much as he'd have to pay Neil.

The bottom line for Ferracci going racing again was the two words I've said to RD, TV coverage. When I rode with BEI/Maxxis, any approach for sponsorship, regardless of the caliber of riders, the team's history and the paddock presence of the team's rig, magazine ads, etc., was met with one question, "Is there TV coverage?"

The TV fans have enough to do with the health of the sport that they can be a catalyst for aspiring teams. It's not just fans in the stands.

Any rider of Elias's caliber could also be a catalyst.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I don't know what years you guys are reflecting on but for as long as I can remember, it always seemed as if OUR premier series has always suffered from lack of SPONSORS more than any other thing, big name racers included.

To suggest that a top 10 finisher (w/ no sponsor) on the world stage, will definitely equate to a positive draw here is a stretch IMHO. Over the years, we've had a few no? None of which I believe to have made a huge impact on ticket sales.

Lastly, for as long as I can remember....the performance comparison between our racers and those on the world stage ALWAYS came down to US tracks lacking the flow of those from overseas, therefore making it more difficult for our racers to adapt quickly enough. Essentially giving Euro racers the upper hand on those style of tracks. I don't recall anyone here EVER giving that rationale a shit storm of negative opinion, so why when applied to Euro racers coming here and NOT necessarily dominating we get a different argument?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  13. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Gotta start somewhere. As Broome said, just because you don't like him, you're going to not support him. Fine, but his name is recognized in paddocks everywhere. Having him here won't hurt the series in any way, shape or form. It can only help. First Morias then Elias, then who knows. The more the merrier, especially if they've got a motogp resume and a world championship attached to their name.

14. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

:stupid: I was thinking the same thing that Elias has fans in other countries who would follow him and possibly bring foreign sponsors to MA

15. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Dammit!! They saw us arguing over the internet and snagged him up! Shit!

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How much money did he come with?

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

I guess enough not to sit on his couch and wonder about the real-time streaming and timing issues of MA

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

20. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Hey hey hey mother fuckers, anyone else enjoy the taste of their feet in their own mouths? I skimmed the thread quickly so I might have missed a few ;)

oilslinger likes this.