1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toni Elias wants to race in MotoAmerica

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Aug 14, 2015.

1. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

After a surprisingly positive showing at Indianapolis as a stand in for Karel Abraham, Toni Elias has mentioned that he wants to find a ride somewhere, including in MotoAmerica.

"I will be open if it's MotoGP, if it's Superbike. If it's Moto America or BSB. All will be good for me. Just I need this opportunity to continue showing my potential. Of course, my phone will be open 24 hours a day!"

Having a former MotoGP/WSBK racer on our grid would certainly be cool. It's pretty awesome that he called out MotoAmerica specifically :up:

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/221949/1/elias-my-phone-is-open-24-hours-a-day.html

2. That would be awesome and would bring more credibility to the series.

The only problem (for him) is the Dunlops. I am sure he would prefer to be on Pirelli's.

3. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Not wanting to start a tire war here but my thought is that a rider of his caliber would just adapt and carry on without the tires phasing him too much. I could be wrong though who knows.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Good, "we" could use him and twenty more like him.

5. It isn't a tire war or even a debate on which tire is better. He has proven (and has openly admitted) that he goes much better on the softer compound tires. He has a relatively difficult time with feel and coming to grips with harder tires. Hence going into WSBK (Pirelli) a year or two ago and immediately performing well.

So yes, the tires do "phase him".

But with that being said, in MA he would be racing against the USA's best, not the World's best, so it is likely he would do just fine regardless of the tires.

6. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

He openly admitted he could never get along with the Bridgestones, not the Dunlops that he won a Moto2 championship on.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He won a world championship on Dunlops.

Are you talking carcass construction, or compound?

8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Construction as per his comments. And I think they were mostly directed at the Moto GP tires that he could never wrap his head around.

9. Yeah, that is true. The MA tires will be a lot softer than the MotoGP tires.

10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Unless he brings personal sponsor money with him then I'd say fat chance...but it would be awesome regardless, especially if a team actually paid him to come.

Sad truth is even Sheridan Morais paid for his ride this year with Aprilia with personal sponsor money.

11. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Will he be bringing sponsors with him or is he counting on a fat paid ride in MotoAmerica?

(Reality check.)

Edit: gpstar748 beat me by a minute but I'll leave this up as backup.

12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

As did most (all?) of the riders on the BSB grid.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't you remember Moto2? Elias was GOD on the Dunlops in Moto2. It was the jump up to the Bridgestones in GP that he couldn't handle.

14. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

He was on the soft carcass bridgestones in 06 when he was a minor threat to win MotoGP races. It was the Hard carcass "Rossi Spec" Stones that didnt suit him.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

He sucked regardless what tire he was on.

He was getting beat by the EVO bike when riding the near factory Red Devils Aprillia last year.

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

He has officially jumped the shark

17. The Great One

Whatever you're smoking must be some potent stuff. He had 9 top 6 finishes out of 24 starts while on satellite machinery. He was riding the wheels off of that bike last year.

JustaNobody likes this.
  18. 418

418 Expert #59

9th in points on factory RSV4, yup. Killing it. :rolleyes:

That wasn't a satellite bike btw.

19. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Toni Elias is going to Purdue University??

20. The Great One

The Red Devil's team was on the brink of collapse going into 2014. They couldn't have supported a "factory" bike even if they wanted to. Feel free to send more information about his "factory" bike that he was on though.

I'm curious as to where you'd expect to see a rider on a one-man privateer team finishing since you're clearly not impressed by several top 6's.