1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toni Elias wants to race in MotoAmerica

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Aug 14, 2015.

1. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

:stupid:

The concept of a Moto2 World Champion being called stupid and slow by a racer posting on the WERA BBS is mind-blowing. Martin Cardenas did a wild card in Moto2 when he rode for me--and didn't get very good results. Josh Herrin won the AMA Pro (DMG) Superbike Championship, then went to Moto2--and didn't get very good results.

My theory is that watching a guy on TV doesn't give anybody the right to call a World Champion stupid and/or slow. Save that for after you grid up and compete with him in multiple races and kick his ass multiple times at multiple racetracks in an assortment of conditions...

Your results may vary...and BTW, having actually met and spoken to Elias, I can report that he seems pretty far from being stupid...

V5 Racer and oilslinger like this.
  2. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

You have to remember that this is the same crowd that said Sheridan Morais wasn't going to be worth a damn when he took over the Aprilia SSTK ride.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:
    I'm with JU. Makes me laugh when guys on here are running down WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP caliber riders. Kinda like armchair quarterbacks.

4. John29

Excellent point! I love that racing reality doesn't depend upon online predictions, and anything can happen!

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sorry, there are a few on the stage that AT TIMES don't look like they could win a track day.

Mladin put all the weight back on and looking like Chopper or is he lean and mean again?

6. John29

I don't get the stage comment but the last time I saw Mat he was looking pretty heavy!

7. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

And their sponsors.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was talking about a few of the buy a rides that keep holding on. Fonsi Nieto when he was shopping around in the US a few years back is one I'll throw out.

But still, I want to see the riders in come in and if a few, with giant sponsorship wallets that some teams need happen to come along, I'll kiss them on the lips (and squeeze a butt or two).

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

LOL! elias = no fan base. wonder why shoei offered and sold so many of his replica helmets? :D

ski

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Fonsi Nieto wore it once as a favor to Shoei to clear out the warehouse.

11. 418

418 Expert #59

Elias is so fast somebody forgot to give him a ride in 2015.

He looked equally unremarkable in this years Suzuka 8 Hours compared to other MotoGP stars in that race. But hey, he's faster than me so I can't rate him as a rider from a fans point of view.

12. ped

ped Banned

by reading the beeb motoamerica is by far the fastest series the world has ever seen.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Link to this? or you're full of shit.

14. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Hell we have a couple competitive bikes sitting on tables at the shop.

Not sure I could convince the boss to write that check though.

15. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

John, this a forum full of racers who talk about racing and everyone here has an opinion.

So if all riders from world championships that have done well could come to the US and be on top, then why couldn't Hodgson? I mean a WSB champion with a factory ride in AMA and he was an also ran. He was healthy before his shoulder damage so why didn't he do better? Hell, he was even on the same bike (different prep I know) that he won the world title on.

And one race from Cardenas is enough to judge his potential in another series?

I look at it this way. Elias has been on Euro style tracks his whole career and not raced on American tracks or superbikes right? (maybe I'm wrong) I don't think he can just waltz in here and be fighting for podiums that easy. And from what I remember, he was never that popular before Moto2 and a lot of riders did not like him. (someone posted about some of his notorious crash causes) I don't think that he would bring in fans here so it would be a shame if sponsorship went his way instead of to some of our American talent that we could be developing.

16. ped

ped Banned

talking about AMA yesteryear has no bearing on what it is right now. A rider like Elias would totally dominate.

17. He was on Michelins that year, but did have his own soft carcass tire that suited his style.

People disparaging Elias's riding skills are crazy. He's a damn good rider.

18. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Bang on. It has to rebuild itself back up again

19. John29

This is America. Everbody has the right to express their own opinion, no matter what it is. But that's no excuse to call a World Champion they don't know except from watching TV, slow and stupid.

20. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Elias vs Rossi, 2006 Estoril.

oilslinger likes this.