1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on V6HW V7HW class structure

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Outsider V6 V7, Nov 21, 2019.

1. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Well if i'm heading all the way to SP in June, I'll bring the FZR750 and the RZ. It'll be like my first year of racing as I took school there in September 1988 on a RZ350 and lusted over the 750 class bikes ridden by Joe Nelson, Bruce Nield, Jeff Atwell and Glen Szarek.

2. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing an FZR 750 on the track.

Dyle, yamageezer and RRP like this.
  3. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Mongo. Are the past bikes in the list for V6 heavy no longer allowed? I sure hope you are keeping the bikes from the current rules list. I have ridden my older TZ250 there but it is no longer in the list. It used to say "TZ 250 up to 1990". Also the list no longer includes "FZR600 regardless of year" like the rule book says. This may also kick out another of my bikes!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  4. yamageezer

I just need to find a full fairing with oil containment tat is legal for WERA (I have a YZF750 one that may work) and AHRMA (I believe it has to be period correct 87/88). I also have a exup motor built to 1040 with full porting, YZF cams and smoothbores if I really want to die.

5. yamageezer

So in V7 I have to run the stock frame but can be modified to superbike specs as far as bracing?

V 7 machines must run the stock frame. Modernized bodywork may be used to incorporate a required belly pan. V7 machines are run per Superbike rules in Chapter 9.

6. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

I've been bumping to v6hw since I was running my kz1075 along with Sam Williams,Jake Coye,Broderick walker,and Bruce Egan.Recently I've been bumping with my h2 along with steve baker on his gpz750 with a 810 motor.
    I always thought that bumping from a lower class(v5-v6,v6-v7) was a given

7. Outsider V6 V7

Dean, bikes previously legal in V7 can run per the existing rules which allow modifications to bodywork and bracing as they were superbike rules. So if your plan is to only run WERA then make the modifications. If you plan to do a few of each then get the period correct bodywork. I've got an 88 FZR 750 superbike tail and race upper never mounted or painted. Ten gazillion dollars for you; or $200 if you want to meet me halfway. The 1040 was a popular in V6 and V7 several years ago but haven't seen anyone on any type of FZR for the last 15 years since Chip Mayfield retired. Tommy D, I think you guys mostly race at the Vintage Fest as that's the last time I'd seen Egan on his 750F supersport and I believe that was probably 7 years ago. I'm good with the KZ, and the GPZ bumping up as those are V5 bikes, but am curious how the H2 has ever been legal for V6HW. Isn't an H2 a V4 bike? I remember seeing the GPZ, Egans Honda and Mark Junge's GSXR once but other than that it's been pretty lonely these last few years. Dave 3593 do you also race V7MW against the other 600's? Seems that might be a better match than racing against Ray and I's 7/11's, in the past. So for your first race you register in V7MW which is on track the same time as V6HW and then you bump up to V7HW and it will be just like old times plus both the FZR 600 and the 1990 two stroke are legal for V7HW so if you have a problem with the 600 you've got a backup. Realistically you were eligible for 2 classes and you're still eligible for 2 classes. The reason for the change is to try and increase the grids to include bikes that are already built and raced in other organizations. The previous rules weren't as friendly to cross over so this will make it easier to do so. The V6HW national championship has been won by Ray or I for the last 10 years. If it was about me winning championships, I surely wouldn't have made the class winning bike ineligible. So I encourage all to continue to show up and race. I don't expect the first race this weekend to have a lot of competitors but I'm willing to bet the average grid size for V6HW and V7HW will increase throughout the year.

Dyle likes this.
  8. dave3593

Outsider, I don't think eliminating bikes from classes they used to ride in is a way to increase grids. I already gave up V6MW. Now my bikes may be forced to ride with even newer and bigger bikes by eliminating the list of allowed bikes in V6HW which forces me to V7.

Mongo, please respond to my post #343 where I asked if many current bikes that are allowed to run in V6 will no longer be allowed.

9. dave3593

Well Mongo, I guess I got my answer. I went back and reread the V6HW rules and the eligible bikes list of V6HW has been modified to eliminate the "TZ 250 up to 1990" and "FZR600 regardless of year". I believe it was very recently still there. I had recently read the rules so this change happened recently. This change was made even though the major changes that allows stuff up to 1992 and 750/1000 has not been implemented yet. So my old TZ got kicked out.

I have to say with regard to my 1989 TZ250 this really stings. I just put $2000 into the motor but can no longer run it in V6HW. I have seen that the more modern the vintage bike class, the more competitiveness and desire to win the classes are. V6HW was kind of a stretch for me but if I want to run it in WERA, V7HW is now where my old TZ goes.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I think you are reading this wrong.
    No bikes that have been legal are tossed out at all.
    Sean just hasn't done the rule book stuff yet or he just assumed that everyone knows bikes that have been legal still are.
    So bring your bikes out and race.
    What Eboz has done is try and get people who race other organizations to come run Wera and try to get rules the same so that more bikes can go race.
    But your TZ and FZR are still legal as they always has been.
    They just added bikes that used to not be allowed in these classes and opened what bikes can now race.
    Trust me you have a place to race your bikes.
    Not sure how competitive in V7HW I will be on my Turd F3 but I will be racing also.

Steven

Dyle likes this.
  11. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

The H2 is a V5 bike and can bump to V6LW.
    crankcase.

Vintage 6 Lightweight
    Pre 1990 Air Cooled multi’s up to 600cc.
    Pre 1990 Liquid Cooled multi’s up to 490cc
    Pre 1990 Air Cooled twins up to 750cc.
    Pre 1990 Air Cooled pushrod twins up to 1000cc.
    Pre 1990 Liquid Cooled twins up to 650cc.
    Pre 1990 Air Cooled 2-stroke multis up to 750cc.
    Pre 1990 Liquid Cooled 2-stroke twins up to 410cc. (250cc GP machines must run HW.)

12. Outsider V6 V7

Thanks for the clarification Scott on the H2. So if I'm correct you can only bump up one class so the H2 bump up is V6LW only? Steve, read the rule as Mongo wrote for V6HW. No mention of any bike previously legal for V6HW from existing rules in V6HW, the statement you're referring to is in the V7HW rules and is the last statement written. So the big bore bikes, TZ's and such are now V7HW.

13. dave3593

Steven, bikes were tossed out. Up until a recently (maybe as little as a few days) the list of bikes allowed in V6HW has changed even though the new 1992 750/1000 stuff has not been implemented yet.

Just look at any rules that were downloaded more than a week or two ago and you will see it used to include "TZ 250 up to 1990" and others but is does not anymore. Another racer privately email me and agreed. I hope he posts here.

Look guys, I know it is what it is. But I am telling you, stuff was changed with no mention of it. Once again I know WERA can do whatever they want with their rules. I still support racing here.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I had to totally rewrite the V6HW rule, sorry if I made some mistakes but 7 hours after your initial question is a bit quick to get upset over things...

Yes the change is new, it's what this entire thread has been talking about and the 2020 rules didn't go on the site until yesterday afternoon. Give me a bit to fix anything that needs to go back in there.

So while I figure all that out I have a question - when did you run last year? I don't remember a TZ out in V6 HW at any event and only 5 people ran the class all year. Only 4 in 2018.

VFR#52 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm still totally lost - what do you mean the 92 stuff hasn't been implemented yet? I just posted the new rules yesterday and it's in there.

No the rules you downloaded 2 weeks ago are not the 2020 rules, those were the 2018 rules and stayed the same for 2019. That's why they were labeled as such. Yes, they changed yesterday, that has been the entire point of all the discussion is the changes. Yes it is February and I do apologize for the delay but it was pretty major changes and we've been discussing them since November to make sure we got it right.

I can indeed do what I want with the rules but something important to always remember is I don't care what the rules are. As long as they work and make for good racing the specifics are a moot point to me. I have no problem fixing the TZ issue in V6HW, I don't see it being a problem to let the older ones run with 750's. Just give me a minute to fix it...

Dyle and VFR#52 like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only real thing that has changed for V6 HW is the GSXR1100 and FZR1000 have been removed. I don't mind allowing the FZR600 or TZ's in it still, not like anyone ran them anyway. If it's an issue in the future I'll address it then. All of the 750 and smaller V6HW bikes are STILL V6HW bikes. There is no reason they wouldn't be.

Outsider V6 V7 and VFR#52 like this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

See it all worked out.
    So come on out and race.
    Let's see how this all works this yr and go from there.

Steven

Dyle and yamageezer like this.
  18. dave3593

Sorry, I didn't run the TZ in 2019 due to motor problems and thus the $2000 spent. I did run the TZ in 2018 and 2017. I ran a different bike in V6MW in 2019 once.

I plan on running my 1989 TZ250 in V6HW in 2020 if it is allowed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    VFR#52 likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like I said, no issues with it on my end. I'll get it fixed but it may not be before I head out for Talladega so if the rulebook online hasn't changed next week remind me.

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. dave3593

Thanks Mongo, I am relieved. But like I said even when I thought my TZ was no longer in V6 "I still support racing here". Then or now.