1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. I'm going to pull the hardtop off today at the beach, no time before I left. 70-85 range most of the way here, 17.1mpg. I have 35 MT's on steel wheels as well but these AT's are shockingly good.

Attached Files:

2. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Please define awesome.

3. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Define "stupid stuff"?

I've done some very hard trails in Moab. A stock rubi wouldn't have made it. I'm not tearing anything up either.

The more capable you make these vehicles, and the more capable you become driving them, the more I enjoy it.

4. Everything I've tore up was my stupidity, mainly impatience. Get heavy footed a things break

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. wsmc 589

Oh yeah. I've seen that first hand.

Winching my buddies 6500lb JK with snapped axles and blown front diff. For 4 hours out of Moab.

Because he was impatient and decided to try and hammer up something when he could have just picked a better line and make sure his rear locker was engaged.

6. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

If you drive your Jeep within it's capabilities I'd say you are not doing stupid stuff. Not sure what your point is...so you've got a built rig that can outperform a stock Rubi....ok. :beer:

7. wsmc 589

Your idea of doing stupid things isn't the same for everybody and saying you don't need much more than a stock rubicon might fit into your idea of off roading, but not mine.

That's my point.

8. Exactly what I've done over rocks, just got way too impatient. It's almost like that feeling before you make a bad golf swing but can't stop it. Jeep starts bouncing and just say f it. Snap. Funny part of axles was brought new chromoly ones as spares :). Front driveshaft same thing.

9. Yes for sure. Mines true 3.5", about as good as you can get from a short arm kit.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. The Mickeys I have on it are really just wider than the stocker Rubi tires than they are larger diameter. I did a Rubicon Express spacer lift with shocks. I don't need anything better than that.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Greater than 10mpg :D

12. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Possibly. Thankfully, things have improved 200%. We sat down with someone and had some really productive conversation that resulted in both of us changing behaviors and communication styles.

We are currently flying home from a week long vacation she planned for all of us to the keys and Miami. Even scheduled some time to go to little Havana and have a few cigars rolled for me.

The jeep was something I mentioned in passing and was tasked on getting feedback as a potential daily for me once I'm done with school. She even asked if it could pull our 5x10 trailer with the bike on it or if it needed a motor swap.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's great news, man. I really hope you guys make it. But keep your eyes wide open. Don't get blindsided. This is unsolicited advice based on your own description of her.

bleacht and BrianC636 like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A JK will pull a 5x10 easily. I towed 3 bikes to Indy one year and it worked great.

15. BrianC636

With 35's or 37's?

16. Very easily. I have a 6" drop hitch on mine which is not great on light loaded trailers but even with a lift it's pretty good.

17. Mines 5's.

18. BrianC636

Fearing choice?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stock tires - Rubicon so they were 32's and 4:10 gearing, 2010 with the 3.8l V6. New ones have something like 40% more power (285 to 202) in the 3.6l.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds