1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

It is the most fun, impractical vehicle we've ever owned. We have a 2012 Rubicon, and it gets exercised a lot. Its not a pavement princess like most of them seem to be. We bought ours to go off road, and there is nothing even close to matching its abilities in the dirt. Ours remains dirty...I wash and wax once a year with occasional pressure washing. We don't beat the hell out of it, just let it take us where regular vehicles won't go.

If you do get one, don't be in the mindset that this is just a SUV. It's not and never will be. It's a very focused vehicle towards off road, use it as it's intended and it's brilliant, put it in traffic and at the mall you got the wrong thing.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

If you buy vehicles to keep them like I do, yes. Resale means nothing when you don't sell. Another way to interpit that statement would be that buying a used one doesn't make much sence if you can afford new as they loose little value while loosing all the new car goodness.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's a thought, haven't looked at the adapter kits for any other motors mainly because I know a guy who has done a bunch of the 5.7l hemis.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't sell mine unless something like the 4 door comes along - not sure what it matters how much they cost or they're worth if you keep them.

5. condon66

condon66 Member well known

This I can understand. I don't doubt that they are great off-road but most never even come close to being utilized that way. I just wouldn't buy one as an on-road only daily driver.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why not? That's the main purpose of mine. Can't put the top down and take the doors off and not worry about getting rain in it because you have drain holes in many if any other vehicles. Kicks ass in the snow and ice. The JK models will cruise 80 easily even with 33's and relatively easily with 35's (granted I do have 4.10's). The newer ones are much more car like in the interior. My only issue currently is a small leak depending on how I'm parked because I got lazy on wiring the light bar so it runs between the top and the windshield, if it ever bothers me I'll run the wires properly. The tires are also horrifically loud due to putting off rotation for WAY too long, getting better though now the weird wear ones are on the rear. I do need to double check balance all the way around though, got a vibration at 45 that makes me think I threw a weight.

That's it. AC kicks ass even with the t-tops off. Heat is better than any car I've owned. Rides great for a tall relatively short wheelbase. Handles well enough to have fun around race tracks and so on.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've also had 98 and 01 TJs as daily drivers.

8. condon66

Maybe if I ever tried one I'd feel the same way. It's just a different take on the intial commitment I guess.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wait a sec - you have such a heartfelt opinion on a vehicle you've never owned?

:crackup:

10. condon66

Based on the fact that I wouldn't use it for what it's truly built for, yes. I've been in them that friends have owned and I've borrowed and driven them. I just don't like them as an every day vehichle. Simple as that.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing wrong with that. I'll never own an econo box for example. I just figured as much as you seem to dislike them you'd have owned one at some point :D

12. condon66

If I was buying one to really do a lot of off-roading, sure it would be an option. But I don't do that so I don't need to give one a try. It's the idea of owning one as a driver that I just can't get past. There are better options for that from my point of view.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've thought about every type of car possible and there aren't any for that money that are more fun - even on road. To me at least. But I like top down and doors off. My first vehicle was a Thing so that's just been a part of cool cars for me since the beginning.

crashman likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

My personal problem with Jeeps is that I wont be able to keep it stock...lol. Last one I had was a 2003 YJ.. then a 96 TJ before that. I had about as much in "upgrades & accessories" as I paid for them...lol.
    Suspension, tires, intake/exhaust, bumpers, winches, axles, etc.
    Never ending UPS deliveries...lol.
    If you have the terrain to drive it... sure. Some how I dont see someone dropping 40+ grand on a jeep then scraping it up on trails or slick rock...lol
    How do the airbags work if you have an "incident" wheeling?

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

That's what I love about Jeeps, it was impossible for me to drive mine and not smile. On the other hand, that's exactly what I don't care for about the JK - it's too car like. I want it be be a Jeep, not a homogenized car/Jeep. For a daily driven, only vehicle owned I get it though.

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Dude, seriously? Since when is that a problem? :p

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Huh?

Did you mean a 2003 TJ? There was no 1996 model Jeep. They skipped a year when they went front the YJ to TJ in 97....

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Could have been a 95. Definitely was a leaf spring model. Later one was a coil. Also previous one had square headlights vs roundys.

19. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Squares are yj's.... and those leaf springs were miserable!

20. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

And put the LS3 in the Wrangler? WTF is wrong with you?