1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a jeep...

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, Jun 22, 2017.

1. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Replaced drag link and track bar. Ball joints are next. Prolly going with Dana Spicer. Tough to decide cause it seems someone already says brand failed in two months.

2. Ya there’s many opinions and many reasons why they failed too. I went with Synergy but a lot of that was convenience related as I was ordering other stuff from them, plus I like dealing with them as they’ve always been helpful. I think I have a new set of spicer ones I bought off a guy that were new. Bought them for spares but the synergy ones have held up well.

3. I also know 2 guys that both beat the crap out of their jeeps, one has dynatrac (not cheap) and the other with g2. Both are happy with them. I’ve heard nothing good about the teraflex ones. Personally seen 2 snapped but as I said lots of other factors and possibilities as to why they snapped.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If/when the usual suspects check out, consider the mounting bolts. Synergy has a kit that replaces all the undersized OEM mounting bolts with proper sized bolts...no hole wallowing - $165 for the whole kit. I look at it as a one-time insurance premium.
    Don't overlook your caster angle. If you're lifted, the extended suspension will reduce the angle and turn the front end into a wonky grocery cart. Adjustable control arms, repositioned axle-side control arm mounts or geometry drop brackets are the cure.

5. I think I mentioned that one previously or in a different thread, first thing that should be done to any jeep. If you can get someone with an account or can get good pricing just buy them from fastenel or the like. Get 2 or 3 sets of extra stover nuts while you are ordering them as well.

6. fastfreddie

I have a vague recollection of that.

7. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Yeah holes looked good when I replaced track bar, but I will order anyway.

If ball joints don't fix it, adjustable lower control arms are next.

I am lifted 2.5, but it's been that way for a long time and this just started. Very frustrating.

I have synergy tie rod and drag link. I like their stuff.

8. fastfreddie

Prolly the ball joints then. How many miles?

9. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

10. khill

khill Well-Known Member

What are the best used years to look at for one that I want to keep basically stock?

11. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

If you want the newest body style (besides the 2018), the one with the 3.6 engine is probably the best to get. I think they started putting that engine in it in 2012.

12. fastfreddie

Could be...get someone to turn the wheel back and forth a bit while you take a peek at all your joints. If anything is bad you'll see it, but just cuz you don't see anything doesn't mean it's all good. Follow up with some pry bars and physically try to separate any joints.

Wheel balance and unit bearings can also play the death wobble game.

13. fastfreddie

khill, if you find a 2012, check that the heads have been warrantied. 2013 and up you should be good, but be prepared for Wrangler resale sticker shock.
    I would not opt for an '07-'11, dog motor. Nothing mechanically wrong with it, it's just gutless.

The bodies on everything prior to '07 are basically the old CJ body. It's shorter/narrower than the '07+ JKs and comes with the bulletproof 4.0 inline six. Stay away from the 2.5 four cylinder...it's as gutless as the '07-'11 3.8.

The older models, '97-'06, would be TJs. Coil spring suspension so it's not too bad of a ride. If you can find an '04-'06 LJ, it's the somewhat desirable long wheelbase version...less pitching over bumps and more cargo space.

Anything '96 and before is for masochists...leafsprings, but you still get the good 4.0 engines from '87 on up.

Before '87? Real Jeeps...for real men. About as simple-stupid as a vehicle can be. Drop a V8 in it. :D

14. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Got it...just happened to see a local 2008 with 90k miles uber clean for 13k private party....

15. fastfreddie

That's not a bad price at all. Take it for a spin to see if you can live with its lackluster acceleration.
    I know they ain't sports cars, but you do sometimes want the ability to get out of your own way. ;)

16. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Ha! I get to drive so many bitchin' track cars that unless it has 500hp, it doesn't raise an eyebrow. This would be for cruising around as well as some minor off road use including maybe...maybe one time a year rubicon.

Ken

17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Ken, a buddy of mine has one all fixed up he'll sell pretty cheap. Silver 2 door, 2015 I think, lift kit, bigger tires, bumpers, air lockers, He was asking 27 but I know he'll take less. I'd buy it but my wife wants a 4 dr and a prettier color. :)

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't hate my 2010 at all. If you really don't like the motor just drop in a V8 and you're set, then when it's too slow supercharge it.

19. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I didn't read the whole thread, so this may have been pointed out before, but the resale value is retarded. I'm on my 4th Jeep, currently rolling a 2013 2-door. I can daily drive a JK for 3 years, do a few of the usual cheap mods, and then sell it for damn near what I have into it. Yes, they're quirky as fuck and occasionally your floor pans will be full of water after a hard rain (hardtop and soft top), but for me, they're like buying a Rolex Submariner. You can beat the piss out of them, enjoy them while you have them, clean them up with some Scotch-Brite and then sell them for about what you paid for them.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Floorpans stay dry if you pull the plugs :D