1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Problem With Vintage Racing...

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by STAN LIPERT, Nov 26, 2003.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

4 Pie GI! Me so hungry, Me love you longgg time...

2. CBstocker

CBstocker Member

Vintage Racing

I have campaigned a stock CL350 (apparently much to the doubt and dismay of certain WERA and AHRMA racers), fairly competitively over the last 5 years without doing any major repair/maintenance work to the bike.

I decided to set up the honda after numerous years of fustration trying to keep a B50 BSA together, and then a Triumph 500 Tiger. The Triumph was better than the Bser, but not by much.

The stock Honda concept was, for me, a cheap platform in which i could enjoy racing a bike that would be eligable for numerous classes through the various organizations.

There is alot to be said for having some "stock" classes mixed in with modified classes, as it allows more bikes to get on the grid which im my mind means more revenues for the clubs (much needed), and potentially more riders (newbies) getting involved to keep the sport growing.

I believe the value of production based classes is that, like me, it allows people to get lots of track time and thus up to speed affordably. In the case of the CL350 it also allows you to enter a variety of races too.

Most importantly (i think), it will generate "the bug" in enough people to choose to "build a true race bike" and continue to be more involved in this great sport...like me, who ordered all the cool go-fast parts for my CL from Buff, so that i can be competitive now.

Rabbie

3. cspargo

cspargo Well-Known Member

4. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

Ok, that'll pull a two rail trailer...simple. How about a three...:D

5. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

well, in the three years or so I production raced my RD400 with WERA and AMA/CCS, I had one broken throttle cable -on the warm up lap, and one holed piston when I neglected to even bother to check the points after 6 months or so. It still ran but I parked it anyway.

They are stone-axe reliable when they are built right to start with. Unless you spin it to the "H" in Yamaha on the tach....

Shoes for Industry

6. charles

charles The Transporter

Wow, Chief, that is some VIXEN ! I think it is the "ultimate in executive transport" that makes you "look smart in more ways than one." That's gonna help you substantially, that right there is good for several wins this season, when your competition sees you pitting in your "executive transport" !

Reading further, we find that it "delivers the comfort and accomodations you'd expect from a significantly larger motor home," and with "individual reading lamps" for eight people! This could make you popular in smuggling 'illegals' from Mexico, they can read their phony IDs on the way in so they know who they are pretending to be.

What is the 0-60 time? Do you double-clutch your shifts? Have you had it flat out yet, what'll it do top end? Have you been on a trip yet, say, to Anchorage or Tierra Del Fuego? There are so many questions waiting to be answered! :clap:

7. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

My point is that the Kawi triple is just as reliable as the RD when properly prepared even with the the extra cylinder. The only DNF was not a mechanical - it was the rider being stupid and low siding the front end.

Horsepower ? I haven't encountered an RD that could pass the triple on the back straight at Road A in the last two years. Perhaps Mr. Spargo's trusty scooter will be the exception.

I look forward to finding out. :D

8. Super Dave

I don't care about the RD's with the triple. I was always gunning for the CR750's.

9. cspargo

cspargo Well-Known Member

Dave - do it. That'll get HB fired up about the secret weapon we've always talked of building. We should both be able to get in there (you'll blow a big hole in the air for me... :).

We only need another 10 mph to be in the hunt - I'm thinking of actually putting a fairing on the bike next year.

Do you need me to come over and help you finish that thing? :up:

10. Super Dave

If you're offering, yes. Need to sell a special caliper so I can buy a trans.

Crank is back. Wheels, done. Frame, done. Need to make a caliper mount and space out a rotor. Probably a front axle. Rear swinger is done, with axle, etc.

You can finish my SV, or start it, and put the motor in my R6 while you're here. I'll come back when you're done. :up:

11. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

getting in kinda late here....I'm teammate to Videojack, rode a stock CL350 in 350GP and 500GP in 2006.....did OK, had a blast!

I bought the running streetbike from Jack for $500, put tires on it, bearings in the neck, dampner, take-offs, and went racing. Leathers and assoc gear cost more than the bike, but still very reasonable....EBRS was also an excellent investment...ALL well worth it!

Later, I bought an EX500 at GNF, and plan on running both in 2007. Is this the logical progression after introduction being discussed here?.....It works.

Just my 2c...........also...

After racing CL 350 all year, I think the only variation to the rules should be to allow a slight overbore, with stock pistons....no high compression, etc, Honda makes the overbore pistons....

Literally interpreted, if the jugs require ANY work, they are not allowed....Am I reading the "no material added or removed" correctly?....or was this more intended towards headwork / porting?

I've gone into a couple motors to build a spare (2 spare bikes = $100 or so), and have found jugs that will require boring.

Basically, these 30-35 yr old bikes, I'm expecting to find stuff like this....should I not be?

in stock form, with allowed ignition, exh, AND a slight overbore, would allow me, and possibly others, to use the parts they have (COST)....a slight bore is what I would do to a "Stock / Street Bike".....is that the intent?

12. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Charlie:
    You can bore the cylinder and fit new pistons. That's normal maintenance. What the rules are talking about is doing port work. I am a two stroke guy but I think you can also do three and five angle valve jobs. Read the Superstock Rules carefully; I think they apply.
    Lyn Garland