1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Problem With Vintage Racing...

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by STAN LIPERT, Nov 26, 2003.

1. racertex

racertex vintage dude

this thread belongs in the smithsonian!

happy holidays.

tex

2. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Ill second that!Hell i got tired of trying to outrun daddys money and kids half my age!Hell im racing my streetbike!LOL!And E-Boz is right we spread the money over longer time.Dosent piss the wife of so bad!OH I got rid of her,she didnt like racing!!Hell im working on my vfr today trying to get some weight of her!But i want it to look like Bubbas and freds vfr!Its tough for thr older bikes there getting harder to get parts for,my Vfr id mostly hand made cause there arent any parts that wont break the bank and no one make parts for them! So feel your pain on that one!Im having to make molds for the body work!There always have to be some leaway on the old bikes!I have found that vintage guy are like old muscle car guys,they like it the way it was when they were growing up and they knew some one who had one,know thwy can afford one or made up there mind they were going to ride and race one!thats great!Were here to have FUN!Better than fishing for me!I hope we can make it so everyone has a great and safe time with vintage!But whats really great for me if i cant race for a year my bike will still be able to run with the best for many years to come,dont have to buy a new bike every year!Thats why i vintage race,and to give everyone a hard time!LOL! Have a good holiday,looking forward to racing with you next year!

Steven VFR #52 vintage 6-7

3. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

...which is part of where I was leading to.You can buy 3 good V7mw bikes for the price of one Vesrah bike (well,close enough,almost:) ).

Superstock rules wouldn't work for us.It's HARD to find a somewhat fresh F2/3motor (trust me,I'm STILL looking),therefore they may need to be cut to freshen them up.Once you cut it,then comes headwork,yadda yadda.Where do you stop it? You can't enforce all of it,so might as well do superbike rules.Things are good the way they are.The build quality of hybrids is what makes me cringe a bit.

It's not up to Sean to keep it cheap,it's up to us.That went out the window by the end of '05.I got the cheapest win of the 21st century :p .But once I joined the ranks,most everyone went and got really good motors.But,if you spend 3-5k on one motor,it'll still last you a while and is still cheaper than the modern classes.So comparitively speaking,it's still cheap to go Vintage.

If your bike has fuel injection,bully for you Aaron.But Ducs ain't cheap to fly,FI or carbs.That's what you like,then go get it,I ain't got no qualms with you.Go do it,lemme know how good it runs when we finally meet.:beer:

I have never said that.Going faster costs more,regardless of what you race (bicycles,dogs,horses,RC cars yaddayadda blah blah:p ).We need to meet.Then you may relax a bit.

Happy Holidays to all from Mom's house :D

4. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Racing has made alot of rich people poor an a few poor guys rich. No matter how you cut it its expensive. My son is starting to roadrace this season so do i cut back...proablly not, we have all the bikes, its just the extra entry fees. I like V7 because of the mostly older people that race the class. its not cut throat....unless you are racing with Stickster..:) , it is fun to race the bikes that i couldnt afford to race when they were first built. its fun to have really no rules, I really like building the hybrid stuff. double make sure you intoduce yerself and grab a few cool ones out of our cooler next time you get a chance

Ab

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I'd bet I still have less in mine that you do in yours. At that point I had about $500 in the bike in three years of racing. It wouldn't have been that much, but I had to put it back together after a crash.

6. stickboy274

I always play nice, unless someone changes the rules mid race.

You know anybody like that?

7. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

And that could have been prevented by a 2 dollar rivet link

:D

8. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

can i get back to you on that'

:moon:

9. stickboy274

Damn chains. I'm thinking shaft drive for '07.

Yes you can get back to me, as long as I can change my reply as things go.

10. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

we were down by your place last weekend, did a track day at the famous palmetto kartway, riding the Aprillia arond that place was like flying a F16 in a cereal bowl....spencer only crashed his 450 3 times, totalin 2 sets of my leathers

it was a blast

:D

11. stickboy274

Yup, that one got a soem of you in him for sure.

I was cleaning pine straw off my moms roof. That sounds like it was almost as fun.

12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

well i offered to sponser the motor!But nooo!LOL!But really you guys forget that i raced them when they were new!6R and F2s had both!Well now you know how i learned what i know!I could not afford to pay someone who knew less than i did!LOL! I still have the set up notes for both!I even have a F2 motor sitting in peices from 97 that we were freshing up.im going to port the head and photo it so maybe i can make some $ so i can travel and race!Well everone have a good holiday and be safe!

Steven VFR #52

13. stickboy274

I was racing when the F3 came out. I just knew if I could get someone to give me the bike, and if I could get a tire deal. I would do well.

It seems I was right. Of course I had to wait for all the fast guys to move on to other bikes. Did any of you see how fast they rode these things back then? Scary

14. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Dude i started on a hurricane!But im an asshole so nobody wants to help me! Now you know the real me!LOL!Hell i went through riders school with colan edwards!LOL! Look were hes at.But iv had fun then been mad at the world till vintage!Changed my whole outlook on racing! it Is FUN! wasnt before!I am going to start a racer school to help old farts and fat guys go fast or faster with no effort!well have a good one!Hell iv lost more championship than iv won!But i am going racing next year so you will see my smiling face!C-YA

Steven VFR #52

15. stickboy274

Two of my first sportbikes were Hurrincanes. And they were still making them at the time. I remember when they came out. I rode over to the dealership to have a look

16. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

You've already done that by stretching the eligibility of the ZX6R and the F3.For that I thank you.CCS needs to follow suit.More people are wanting to come play now.

I paid 1650 for that bike I ride.Unless you got your nice 2mil motor for free,and the Ohlins (that I was supposed to get :mad: ),maybe you're in the ballpark.And I have zero in my bodywork .

17. stickboy274

The first 3 years were less than $500. I may be close to where you are now. I'm bedy bedy sneaky

18. The problem with vintage raceing is that the the bikes are old, slow, and they oil down the track:Poke:

19. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

"I'm bedy bedy sneaky" - Stickboy

and veddy veddy cheap!!

20. stickboy274

:up:

You can't do this as long as I have if you spend all your money the first year.