1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End of the World

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Feb 7, 2019.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it is the session right after lunch, always a good time.

2. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

when i raced cars i choose a class that had a good amount of competition at all events. Winning a trophy or saying you came in 1, 2, 3 with 4 racers , whatever floats your boat. All i am saying is trackdays are trackdays. If they want to do some sort of competition, do a Time trial at the end of the event.I can only see bad coming from handing out trophies at a track day be it a car or motorcycle.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Agreed. The tracks are surviving just fine.

4. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

If the day is sold out - yes, the trackday company is winning. What about those days where hardly anybody shows up? Still gotta pay the track at the end of the day.

Nobody who’s running trackdays is getting rich... and few (if any) make a living from it these days.

Pitmom42, BigBird and drop like this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Didn't the Beeb used to have some kind of yearly awards like the Dundies?

[​IMG]

Murcielago311, ajcjr and SpeedyE like this.
  6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Think you missed the point. How many tracks could your organization solely support. My guess is there is no one race .org that could keep tracks open. You are having trouble getting dates because it takes numerous organizations to keep tracks open. I’ve seen this narrow mindedness in every hobby I’ve been a part of. Not saying your narrow minded but the people complaining are. Hunters bitchin that only one type of hunting is correct. Shooters wanting certain types of shooting not allowed at the range and so on. Meanwhile none of us would have the ability to pursue many things if it were not for the others helping to support the clubs , tracks , ranges , manufactures etc. I’ve never understood any of the infighting but it’s so common for no other reason than “ my way is right and your way is wrong” . But yet these same people will say in a heartbeat if you don’t like it turn the channel. Again I support those that support my hobbies directly or indirectly. Which means if I was looking to have a track day and your org was racing that day then I’ll find another track and wish you guys the best and thank you for your support.

Yzasserina likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm lost - what is your point? There are plenty of car and motorcycle events out there to keeps the tracks open and profitable. Saying there shouldn't be trophies for track days and not supporting orgs that do so will not have any effect on the tracks viability.

I totally agree if you don't like it turn the channel - or in this case don't ride with a given group.

Supporting things blindly because they happen to be similar to something you like has never done anything but hurt this sport. Way too many groups and orgs over the years have gotten support and long term killed in entire regions of the country for racing or kept bikes out of tracks because of bad decisions they made. Blind support is more harmful than being critical. Way more harmful.

badmoon692008, SpeedyE and JBraun like this.
  8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

They’re called “likes”. It’s the little blue word you’ve never clicked. :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So I missed what TD org is doing this :crackup: I am old and slow and out of shape but have done TD and racing. Different beasts that I enjoyed for different reasons. Kind of like skiing and snowboarding, same hill different thing. And like this some are anti one or the other. I liked both for different reasons (though was better on skis so did it more).

Only TD trophy I have has a sheep on it and was first (of two). Oh and a joke.....also still have the leopard skin thong for my umbrella duties at the same event... And no you cannot unsee some things from what I have been told :beer:

10. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I understand your point but I hardly think I’m blind supporting anybody. And I know you understand my point that it’s not worth crying about an org that helps keep a track open giving out trophies. It’s a track day group giving out trophies. Who gives a shit. Next it will be a race org that doesn’t give out trophies. Then maybe only a VTwiwn org. Where will the madness end. Supporting any group that only thinks they’re way is the only way is blindly supporting. There are some extremes I may see that I wouldn’t support but giving or not giving trophies is just silly. You run a fine org and wish you the best.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To you it's silly, to others it isn't, to each their own.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just don't get having to validate someone's post. It's like a participation trophy or a $20 gift card because you came in last but showed good spirit.

and I have "liked" a few posts. :D But they had to be more than winning a trackday type of post.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Meh, some guys want to use stuff like that for bragging rights at the bar, as they point to the MotoGP broadcast on the flat screen and tell their friends "yeah, that's what I do. I'm a racer too." Who cares? Just have a good laugh about it and move on.

The more interesting and important point to me is this, though: do they give points for body position and riding style?

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Hell, racing itself doesn't mean anything, except to the winners. Nobody cares who came in second, let alone 23rd. I accepted a long time ago that what I do is for me and me only. Otherwise, what would be the point?

This is to please the new generation that needs exciting photos to share on social media. Right next to a picture of their dinner.

I have had fun at track days, and I might even do so again in the future, but I'd much rather finish dead last in a novice 300 race than win a track day trophy. To each his own. Besides, this is hardly new, they've been doing the "mock race" at Jennings for 10+ years?

badmoon692008, drop and SpeedyE like this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

You see, I disagree. I guess it all depends on your outlook. But no doubt a rider who works on their skill sets and becomes a safer faster rider and turns faster lap times is winning in my eyes. I’ve seen a ton of riders winning in this aspect.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When I retire I'm gonna buy one of those pull behind hotdog carts.

Gonna name it Trackday Weiner!

Bah, dumpt dah dumpt! Tip your hotdog vendor and be sure to try the bratwurst.

05Yamabomber and SpeedyE like this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

No man, it’s Alan Feddersen. A naturally gifted rider and a good dude. And fast. Regularly turning top ten AMA times. No bs.

Steady T and beac83 like this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

As long as that gets riders fired up and go real racing, what’s the bashing worth?

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well, I for one will never like any of your post again, so there. :moon:

In Your Corner and SpeedyE like this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Good! It's about time to reset my "likes" to zero again. I'm on the front page again and might qualify for a trophy or some shit. :D