1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas Church Shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by condon66, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I haven't been angling for anything here other than acknowledgement from "gun experts" on design intent and how those design characteristics made it the tool that it is. I'm not prepping some manifesto on the evil of assault rifles, just asking for people to be honest about what my untrained self can understand and personal experiences. Even right down to the fact that it allows a shitty shooter to be more generally accurate while keeping a high rate of fire. Going back to ROTC, I can still vividly remember how few targets (small notebook paper sized) were touched by all of us amateur shooters at 20m with a .22 cal pistol. When we swapped to the M16, nearly every single round fired from our group hit the paper if not the target somewhere.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Your untrained self is trying to educate trained people...don't you see something a little odd about that? :crackup:

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

So you are basically saying that a longer barrel increases accuracy? That is not exactly a ground breaking observation, and would hold equally true if you had been shooting flintlocks.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Here's your "acknowledgement".

The AR platform has design characteristics that make it a more versatile weapon, easier to fire consistently and easily serviced.

Nothing about these design characteristics were made in the sole interest of increased lethality with strictly human targets.

Dipshit.

XFBO and G 97 like this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

SO much talk about this weapon's characteristics...
    There are dedicated forums for that shit.

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Can we all just admit guns are made for Killing Shit... geez
    People, Animals,TinCans, Targets... whatever.

XFBO likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh, so now humans are shit, huh? :Poke:

Yeah, you're right. :D

crashman and Britt like this.
  8. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Drudge Report has links to just about every news organization in the world. The headlined stories are what's trending at that moment but one can go beyond those links and go directly to the news organizations for all that they have too. I find it one of the most informative sites on the web when it comes to news of any kind.

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. They are mutually exclusive.

10. fastfreddie

Yup. Different ballistics, that's all.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Through this whole "discussion" on what a firearm is designed for I've wondered why. I will be the first to say it.* Yes, a firearm is designed to be an instrument (tool?) that will project a killing blow to an enemy from a safe distance plus it can be used to secure food, shoot tin cans, targets on a post, rabid squirrels, or the tire of a nuisance neighbor. So?
    You have to look at it's use in total though. A screwdriver for example, can kill a person PLUS it can remove a screw. Have you ever tried to remove a screw with a firearm? See how limited a firearm is?

OK, yeah, you can take careful aim and remove a screw with a firearm but it leaves the secured object unusable. :D

*Ok Britt beat me to it.

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Careful there girl. Remember what happened when you took part it that before. :eek:

:D

13. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Sometimes shorter barrels are marginally more accurate due to being stiffer thus less barrel whip. But that's only sometimes, depends on the harmonics which are variable based on barrel material, barrel profile, caliber, load, free float, length, etc.

But basically you know you are talking to someone that has no idea what they are talking about when they say longer barrels are more accurate. The opposite is true and only rarely.

14. fastfreddie

PM-ed ya something good on the subject.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yadda Yadda Yadda the AR15 was never designed explicitly to kill people. Even so, who cares. It is what It is.

There are far more effective objects readily available to kill people.

16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Love my 5-1/2" barrel SniperRifle .

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't you start too.

18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I check it out daily as well and only talk about the curation because it's one man who has been supremely successful in creating trends. He links to every outlet and in the same way any of us might, but has gotten to a point where he has been influencing main stream news and politicians talking points. My admiration doesn't extend to the commenters that follow his links however.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  19. In Your Corner

Any picture of Dern is a dick pic.

20. In Your Corner

How do feel about being on top? I tire easily these days.