1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team USA?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lee#144, Jun 27, 2019.

1. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

The fear getting Kavenaughed is a real thing.

Though in the case of Pence and others (dude from Mississippi running for Governor for example) it may stem from a more philosophical point of view, namely being a devout Christian. Especially one from the south. At least that has been my experience. The men I know that have taken this position are typically Southern Baptists and it stems from a pledge or promise they have made to their wives. My younger brother being one of them. He has had this position for as long as he has been married. It is nothing new. It only seems new.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even then it still stems from not wanting to be thought of as doing something illicit with the person of the other sex (women have the same rule too) and nothing to do with respect for the other person. Don't need the church ladies making up rumors :D

3. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

TRUTH!

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Funny how overall things like that never change even if the groups of people doing them do :D

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bull

Shit

What’s that old saying? Avoid improprieties or the appearance of impropriety?

TurboBlew and G 97 like this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m just relieved that I now know for certain that I didn’t disrespect Evelyn for canceling our meeting. :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, you do that by existing but she forgives you, she's nice like that :D

G 97 likes this.
  8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Exactly my point...what improprieties come loaded into a business meeting? Anything beyond the appearance of an impropriety which no one is being strung up for requires action by one of the participants. Unless the person backing out questions their own motives, they have cast doubt upon the other person. Casting that doubt means they believe the other person could be there for something other than business. Once that has been put out there, you can't control how that message is interpreted even if you had the most pure intentions in cancelling the meeting. Just because you didn't mean it to be disrespectful...you don't get to judge that on the other end.
    That's a very practical response choosing to accept that this is the climate and move forward with your business. As I mentioned above, it's fully any individuals choice as to whether or not they feel disrespected in the scenario I posed.

It really sounds like most of you guys are trying to argue whether or not a woman should feel disrespected in this current #metoo climate totally from a man's POV where women are compelled to understand that men's careers are being ruined en masse. I have worked in and around the ad industry for 20 years. Ad industry was/is second only to Hollywood in the #metoo fallout. You know what you'd hear from women every single day in corporate offices if you were to listen: "Fuck off! You don't get to harass us then exclude us or create personal policies of protection when called out on your bullshit." But keep on thinking that all of these career focused female executives - many with quite polished chips on their shoulder - wouldn't take a failure to meet one on one as disrespect

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I totally missed you saying it's up to the individual but that is still a moot point. Not wanting to meet with a person of the opposite sex while alone is not in and of itself disrespectful.

If the women take it as such that is their problem. People take all sorts of shit as disrespect when that isn't the case. If they're that stupid that is on them. Doesn't make the policy itself disrespectful which is what you keep/kept insisting.

10. Chino52405

Apologies for repeatedly misspelling Evelyne. No disrespect :D :beer:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I didn't even notice.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

She can feel as disrespected as she likes and I don't give a flying fuck. If it weren't currently the case that mere allegations are enough to ruin careers then I'd give her a little leeway but I bet she wasn't standing up in front of camera to tell the world how wrong being fired before anything is proven was at the time.

crashman likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bull to the motherfucking shit.

It’s an across the board policy. There’s no casting of doubt, fucktard, it’s the elimination of all doubt.

Boo fucking hoo.

Not my responsibility to police your “feelz” and put myself at risk to placate you.

14. Chino52405

I'd suspect that your presence is not being requested at any of these tables, so keep on doing you. Should work out just fine. But along those same lines, where is your experience and information coming from? What are these "across the board" policies you speak of?

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uhh, Mike Pence?

You know, that epitome of sexist evil misogyny. :rolleyes:

Try to keep up with your own arguments.

16. Chino52405

You were speaking about his personal policy - I mistook it for inferring that there are corp policies as such.

I don't disagree with what you or Venom are saying would be/is your personal policy not being implicitly evil or a completely out of line reaction. My entire lines of debate here are along an individuals perspective of being disrespected and corporate policies addressing #metoo (akshually...more #timesup to get pedantic).

17. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

It can also be a sign of respect. We had a family friend who would not come by when dad was out of town. I laughed knowing both for my entire life and asked why?
    1) Best way to avoid trouble is don't be where it can happen
    2) He did not want anyone to talk bad about Mom, even if it would have been 100% wrong as he thought to highly of her and dad both.

G 97 likes this.
  18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Libs are always demanding that conservatives resign
    or recuse themselves just to prevent the appearance
    of impropriety and then when conservatives act in
    such a way as to ensure that there can be no appearance
    of impropriety (or any opportunity), they are accused of being cowards for
    not throwing caution to the wind.
    Or accused of insulting the other person for acting with caution.
    There just is no ferking way to win with libs.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

You see, I honestly don't think it's being disrespectful.

20. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

Is this real life? Pick an industry, Government, Education, Healthcare...very common to have no 1 on 1 with opposite gender without a witness or stand in present.