1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking a fellow club racer out?

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Oct 31, 2018.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

You could always cut them off as they attempt to lap you.:beer:

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well i'll tell ya'll what ta do. You come into the pits, tell the rubber monkeys and Harry to "change my tires", then streak shit out of the pits and hit the first guy you see in the left rear quarter panel. It made me feel better! :D

3. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Hypothetical situation - what if one were to very obviously blow an engine, then proceed to limp the bike around 3/4 of the track oiling up a big part of the track; thus causing a 7 bike pile up. Would one apologize to all 7 riders, or just the one with a broken femur?

SuddenBraking and rcarson15 like this.
  4. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Because two multi million dollar race budget teams is so similar to the expense budget of a club racer. Honda probably has more money in spares on the truck than the Suzuki AMA team has in all of their equipment. Honda does employ Crutchlow so that's not too far fetched.

5. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Did this hypothetical person know they were dropping hypothetical oil?

6. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

In this hypothetical example, lets say the bike was down on power, and split the cases so hard it blew the starter off. One can't know for sure if the oiling was known. But *if* this scenario happened, one could lend an apology in either case.

cav115 and SuddenBraking like this.
  7. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

If they apologize I’d be ok with it, shit happens man. You could be the guy making a dumb mistake like that. Plus my long term and short term disability plus FMLA is pretty good so I’m pretty easy going. If I get hurt it’s like a mini vacation with 70% pay.

Pixelator likes this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Mastered that already.

9. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

the engine builder should be sanctioned and required to apologize in the form of compensation for any damages.

this is why all engine builders and mechanics must be licensed.

yes, I was victimized by an oil slick too. it could work though but then it would surely kill what little racing we have left so. nevermind.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

If the bike rolled right out of the shop and on to the track, you might have a point. But I have bikes come back into the shop for mid-season services and I'm perplexed by how so much stuff got beat up in such a relatively short amount of time.

And I'd be fine with the engine builder and mechanics being certified or vetted in some way in theory, but do you think the handful of dedicated race shops traveling all over the country supporting racers are the problem, or the shade tree guys putting their race bikes together over a case of beer with their buddies? How do you propose to police them?

The shops that do shit work or have bad reputations eventually go away. But there's always gonna be that guy that hammers his bike or motor together that ain't gonna pay no rip off shop to screw him over on work who experiences a failure that could potentially ruin someone else's day.

Along the same lines, you have no idea how many dudes would accuse you of "just trying to sell me pads" when you'd point out that they were nearly down to the backing material during track day tech. Yeah, man. My own private island all funded by the sale of a single set of brake pads...

11. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

definitely MDM, I was using the term 'engine builder' and 'mechanic' in the most liberal sense. we've all seen it Im sure but it kinda sux knowing your on the same track as some of their finest work is.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Guess I better get off my ass and rewire my drain plug.

Pixelator and metricdevilmoto like this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Never apologize for shit!

That’s your line and they can kiss your ass.

Then go either punch their girlfriend or wife just for thinking they were getting an apology.

This is chess, not checkers!

turner38 and Pixelator like this.
  14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've been on both sides of this discussion for a while. I've been cleaned out by another racer in an incident that completely wasn't my fault that totaled an R6 that was the crown jewel of my capabilities and I've taken out a guy (while lapping him; if I could go back, I would have waited) who is still a customer to this day because I fully owned it.

cav115 and Pixelator like this.
  15. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

We had something just like that happen at Blackhawk in 2011. Guy started smoking bad around T3, debris flag wave off at T5, ignored, got it again at main gate, again ignored, T6a, again ignored, T7 (workers nearly hit him in the helmet with the flag), ignored, ignored the tower as he went by and ignored the workers at the edge of the track in T1 also. I was in the tower, headed down the stairs since I knew what was coming. As soon as I got out the door I heard "Bike down T2" then "2 more bikes down, stop the race". Results of the crash, oil guy got flown out, another racer went to the hospital in the bus, the 3rd guy was lucky and just got his bell rung a bit. All due to one guy IGNORING the flags. Workers at 7 and 1 said he looked right at them and just kept going.

Also had a guy around 2008 or 09 do the limp around the track dropping oil. Wonderful 2.5hr cleanup. A lot of racers were NOT happy. Then again we didn't get a lot of racers to even go out and help us clean the track either when we asked over the PA.

16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

2015! Yea got the fuck wiped out in turn 2 at dega. From behind by at the time a 1st year 1st weekend WERA so called expert. Yea it didn’t end well for me in 3rd place at the time in a holly grail wera sbk expert race on the fuckin 2nd lap. Idiot .!. Fool pile drove me into another time or dimension. Fucking idiot! Race was fucking done by lap two anyway this is a sprint race you rookie no need to kill the whole ficking grid for 4rh.

I didn’t call him out then and I won’t now he’s a douche though and makes a killing robbing you illiterates here who have a pos R1.

Yea he came to my toy hauler crying and all that BS. Fuck that, the real people knew I was really hurt at the moment and took action.

Moral is I watched this pos go to tech the next morning unhurt, and NEVER, even looked at me in all sorts of bandages to figure out how’s he getting all that Shit loaded up and home.

Good people from where I live in MS stopped their weekend and took me home.

I can add much more here but really what does it really matter? He’s a pos his company is a pos and I ain’t ever buying a fuckn pos Yamaha to race anyway so y’all go figure it out on your one.

He is still a pos in my book and I was pretty much done after that mentally KO from his NOVICE ASS!

Hope you enjoy reading this you pos!

#49 and yea I just did that fuck you!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Suzi likes this.
  17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I was never taken out,but had some bad shit happen in front of me that put me down.
    One crash I wish had been filmed,was Grant Lopez dropping oil going into turn 6 at Road atlanta
    morning practice.Took half the field out,me Rocky Gravley,Joey Gilleand,(got ran over and dragged)
    countless other riders,it was nuts!!
    We had a parking lot,and guys heads popping up everywhere.
    Also had a guy fall in front of me in turn 2 at the gnf at road atlanta,I crashed my balls off to avoid him,
    had my own bike hit me in the face,and the guy that crashed got up and finished the race.

Had a rider at tally decide he couldn't make a turn in the carousel while I was outside of him,and took us both
    off into a new profession of grass cutting...memories

18. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I made a strong conscious effort to stay completely out of the sometimes heated discussions about incidents that occurred when my kid was on the track. He roadraced for 10 years, from 50cc minis to 600 superbike at the pointy end at AFM, so there were plenty of individual occurrences from all sides over the years. I hope in retrospect that I acquitted myself well in this regard, though sometimes it was difficult stepping back into the trailer and letting my 12 year old kid defend himself against an angry 45 year old man accusing him of passing under yellow in Portland on a 125, or seeing him deal awkwardly with the fallout of a botched pass at Thunderhill's T5 that resulted in a multiple bike pile-up, a red flag and another kid's broken leg.
    I was lucky enough to have clearheaded guidance from good friends on the role of parents in racing, and I took it seriously. Given the sort of person he is now, I can guess I didn't screw it up too badly.

Pixelator and SuddenBraking like this.
  19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Hot damn Roy's back.:D

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

If only you could see the smile on my face!

roy826ex and TurboBlew like this.