1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Contingency News....Shocker

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

well, this sucks, i just talked to brian, as we had speculated in some other thread, used 08 and 09 model bikes will NOT be eligible for contingency this year. only bikes bought new from dealerships will be eligible. i understand the reasoning behind it is to sell new bikes, but with it being such a drastic change from the previous years, it would have been nice to have some advance warning.

:down:

2. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

their argument might hold water THEY actually race 09 bikes. With this plan, their own superbike team is not eligible.

3. Wow that sucks.

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

daaaamn

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

why not? Yosh went to a dealer and bought the 08's that they were running for the first part of the year.

6. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

wow.......this is worthy of BOMBSHELL!

i totally understand the thought process for Suzuki...........im suprised more manufacturers dont do it

7. I understand the thought process, but they should have given at least a years warning before they started enforcing it. That way they wouldn't be screwing a bunch of racers who bought year old bikes. This might also hurt teams like RRW, M4, and Vesrah who sell their bikes in the fall. This eliminates any expert contingency chasers from buying their bikes.

8. raceon2

raceon2 Timmay!!!!!!

Well stick a fork in me...

Well if this is true, I'm done!! You guys have fun because I dropped a ton of money buying a used 08 model that was race prepped and now I can't get contingency!!!!

If they are going to do this they should just say use 09's only!!! Fack!!!

Tim

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

well its true. straight from the horse's mouth.

10. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

should have been grandfathered in

11. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

What Kris said is true....We got the news today from Brian also, so this is a huge kick in the teeth. Wonder if Yamaha pays for stunten...

12. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

Its true Tim, you know I did the same thing. THey told me over the phone if you registered with the VIN of your 08 and won money.....then bought an 09 within the first 30 days of your dealership having one, you would be due the winnings you won with your 08 when you provide the VIN of your new 09. Make sense?

13. aaronson

14. Edorn

Edorn Trouble...

15. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

16. raceon2

raceon2 Timmay!!!!!!

Sucking doesn't even begin..

to expain how this is going to affect club level racing.......take this line of thinking along it's path and you tell me if there will be club level racing in 12 months.....

1. People go out and buy an 08 and pay top dollar because it is good for contingency, then it's not good for contingency, it's worth squat. Plus they have spent tons of money already this year trying to make contengency that won't come now.

2. Then those people can't afford to buy an 09 because they now have an 08 that is worthless, they stop racing.

3. Teams who have purchased 09's this year can't sell them next year because they are no longer any good for contingnecy, so they can't afford to buy their 2010's. a 20K bike is worth 5K!!

4. If you think grids are small now, wait until all of those people are gone, then if you don't have 5 people on the grid, manufactureres don't pay for contingency at all, so those people can't afford to race without getting paid either. WERA is screaming now that grids are small and they can't make any money, just wait until all of the people not getting suzuki contingency are gone, then the people who can't get paid with kawasaki and Yamaha because grids are too small and you have about 3 experts and lots of novice guys.

6. Don't think that sponsors are going to hang around with no one on grids to buy parts on both new bikes and on wrecked bikes because the grids are too small to get contingency.

7. Also, how many Novice guys feed off of the spoils of the expert guys?? I know what I was a novice I purchased old parts, bikes and tires from fast expert guys and those for the most part are now going to be gone.

This could go on for ever but I honestly don't think people are seeing the full effect of this move by Suzuki. There are so many support companies that will whither and die because of this.

If Suzuki honestly thinks that this will "Boost" sales which is what Brian Noah at Suzuki told me, they have lost their freaking mind!!!! It will not only hurt sales but it is my contention that it is going to kill the club racing scene in the US as we know it....hide and watch.

I pray I am wrong.....you should pray with me!

17. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

18. aaronson

I think your wrong Jay Leno getting a free bike did wonders for Suzuki and the Industries...:D Then again Suzuki has the highest prices on OEM parts...R6 frame under a thousand dollars, $1800 or more for a GSXR 600 frame. This is from a on-line OEM parts website. I depend on used parts to keep my race program going. This contingency issue just set us back quite a bit.

19. aaronson

Contingency will be paid to the Warranty Registered owner. If the motorcycle raced is not owned by the racer, a sponsor affidavit must be completed and submitted before the rider is eligible for payment

20. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

more 1st gen SVs on the track :beer: