1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Contingency News....Shocker

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Average racer? Not a penny.

2. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Hey I won about $750 one year on a SV. I knew I was above average. :D

3. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

So the only reason people race is to chase contingency $$?

You could look at it a different way, now you will be able to have a wider pool of potential bikes to choose from to race since the 2 year rule is gone, and the bike you have is good till you get tired of it or destroy it. It might make racing overall cheaper.. That way you don't have to drop $10-15+K on a 'new' bike every 2 years for the potential of getting a few $$ back.

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i'm an average racer, nowhere close to a jensen or batey, plus i ride an sv, and i average between $5-6k per season with them. everything i got from them, i spent back on racing.

5. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

Ha! I guess I should have qualified that better.

What is the mean yearly dollar figure payout per racer for Suzuki contingency winnings in WERA club racing?

I hope that's specific enough. :D

6. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

That's pretty good money. How high do you place, on average? And how many events do you make each year?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He places 1st or 2nd and comes out to the Suzuki money races - that makes him far from an average racer :D

8. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

:crackup:

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's called re-investing in the business.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Statistical anomoly.

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Sorry Kris, I'm waving the BS flag here. You are definitely above average as far as race ability.

On another note, you could go vintage racing. Buy a bike and be able to race it for years. Very cost effective in the long run. I've been racing my RZ since 2002.

Would I like to be racing a modern bike? Yes. But the bank account can't justify a new ride every 2 years to stay competitive.

12. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

i think there is a misconception here

you dont need a new ride every 2 years to stay competitive........you just need a new ride in order to win money

its the old saying you have to spend money to make money, but in this case you spend A LOT to only win A LITTLE :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

That's another one of the downsides to this situation. I think most guys put whatever contingency $$ they make directly back into racing. I think that's what Wall means when he says he's "average". Most racers put any winnings back into the sport. Few actually use it to support themselves, even partially. Damn Kris, I hoped to cut into your Suzuki money this year with my used 2008 SV but I guess it's not going to happen... probably wouldn't have anyway...

14. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I think I'm closer to an average racer...if you're fast enough to win expert championships in a competitive class, you're well above average. What I mean by 'average' is that I'm never going to win any money, or run at the front of an expert class race. racing for me is 100% output with regard to money. I might squeeze out a little tire contingency here and there once in a great while, but that's about it. Overall % wise, a very small % of racers take home $5000-$6000 in contingency in a year.

Of course, the sad part about this is that this % is going to seem huge compared to the % it's gonna be if they keep enforcing the new bike thing. I really feel for you guys. There are _so_ few people buying brand new bikes every year to race...that really sucks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  15. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If you race SV's you cna be competive on any of them...no need for a new bike every 2 years. Hell, if you want to race LWTSB and F2, you can run at the front on a 10 year old SV if you build it right.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Average racers are the thousands of guys that ride every year without winning a single cent. There are very few who actually win any contingency of any sort, they are a definitely minority. Average racers pay all their racing bills out of their pocket.

17. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

That's what I do!!

18. blakej755

blakej755 Well-Known Member

me too i race on my $550 a week paycheck! if i win any money that just means i can eat lunch on monday! lets all race 250's!

19. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

well i'm definitely just average in my abilities, but maybe above average at winning contingencies. :D

i'm not really that upset at the move, i just wish i had known before i spent the money i spent. in the past it made sense for me to spend 3-4k on a used bike, or salvaged bike, because i could always win at least that back and then some. but for a lightweight guy, it doesnt make sense to drop $6k on a sv, only to win $500 for 1st place. i'd have to win 12 contingency paying races to recover that, and that would be difficult and an extensive schedule to boot.

20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Lets get a 40 bike grid for the GNF :up: