1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersport Build = Loss of 8 HP

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kiggy74, Apr 25, 2011.

1. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Did you have yours dyno'd on pump gas before you switch to the race fuel?

2. SJC1000rr

SJC1000rr Well-Known Member

Yes, originally I only had FS/PC3 and airfilter with 93 from Bp at 108.4. Redyno tested with 93 after build and slightly adjusted pc3 map and came out with 118. Then I changed to bazzaz and retuned. (Same dyno/guy) Slight temp/humidity chance but U4.4 gave me 120hp and 93 on the same map was 117.3 with the richened map.

3. kiggy74

Wow, that's a good result. Where'd you get your dyno done?

4. SJC1000rr

SJC1000rr Well-Known Member

Brian Turner at dynotune motorsports in Columbus over on West broad street. He does cars and bikes and has always done a good job for me and everyone else I know that has went. Think its at $200 for a full custom tune at every 10% throttle increment.

5. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I picked up about ten HP on my recent SS build ( head work only). And yes, it had to be remapped. The map from the stock motor was way lean.

6. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

Brian did mine as well, good guy.

7. Chip

Chip Registered

1.) I would not do ANY rebuild and not reserface the valve seat. Complete waste of time rebuilding the motor if the combustion chamber does not seal.

2.) For the OP - Either something was done wrong or you have an external problem with the bike.

8. kiggy74

Thanks Chip. If the combustion chamber wasn't sealing properly would you expect other symptoms with the bike, like heavy oil consumption, blue smoke, etc?

In regards to an "external" problem, are you referring to air/fuel delivery, such as the injectors issue that others mentioned?

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Not speaking for CHip,
    but a leak down test would show if there was a significant issue with sealing of the valve to valve seat (think you said that was done?). It is a critical test to perform. 2% leak is pretty darn good if not mistaken (almost like new?), 5% leak is decent, 8-10% time for a rebuild, way more than 10% something isn't right

One thing we see with injectors, and talking with tuners out there that send em. IF and injector is having an issue, that cylinder is gonna be lean. The tuner reads the A/F on the dyno and as it shows the mixture is lean, they richen till it shows the right mix. Problem is, unless you have a sensor drilled into EACH header pipe you are reading the "average" of all 4 cylinders.. Thus if one injector is bad, you can end up with 3 slightly rich and one slightly lean, but your overall average is read "correct" when it ain't.
    We also see in MOST CASES, injectors that simply varnish and get buildup reducing the flow fairly evenly across the board. THus, a newer machine or one with clean injectors that gets mapped today, could a year later be running lean..

Not saying injectors are your issue, but when you put the bike back on the dyno and got the loss of power, did the tuner indicate it was lean from the last dyno tune??

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  10. kiggy74

Thanks Greg, yes a leak down was done, and I was told the result was 98%, but I really wasn't sure what that number meant exactly (98% sealed? 98% efficient?). I'm very thorough in my maintenance with this bike, including oil changes and Stabil added to fuel in winter. I change the oil every two weekends and have only ever used Mobil1 4T Full Synth. I know the engine has a lot of miles for a track bike, but a lot of that is novice coaching too. Again, bike runs great.

I totally get what you're saying about injector issues. If one or more of the injectors were bad, and that cylinder was running lean, would the header pipe for that cyliner look a different color than the rest? What's the process and cost for getting the injectors inspected/serviced?

And no, the tuner didn't mention anything about the bike running lean vs the first dyno run. I'm assuming that this would be captured by the lambda sensor (?), but it doesn't appear that the lambda was included on the graph for the second run.

Tim

11. MELK-MAN

yes, had he said on the latest run it was lean, that could mean an injector with way less flow. I doubt you could see a diff in the color of a header unless it was big time differnt. Using a lazer temp gun to check header temps works when one cyl isn't firing at all, but not sure about minor differences in how the bike is running.

SPray PATTERN and good atomization is equally important for making power. You say you put Stabil in the fuel.. it takes at good few minutes for that fuel that now has stabil to reach the injectors. And unless your operating the bike ABOVE 8000rpm, the uppers won't even fire.. So, that means if your storing your bike, unless you ran it on track for 5 minutes, ZERO stabil got to the uppers.. (but not even sure if an 07 cbr has uppers?). Anyway, you still have to run the bike longer than you would think for the stabil fuel to get to them. There is the fuel line AND the fuel rail you need to account for.. and unless your hamering it, it could take 10 minutes. The fact your bike gets stored for winter is something to thik about, here in FL bikes get ran nearly year round..

taking them off is pretty easy, you just need to get to your throttle bodies by removing the gas tank and air box. Not overly familar with that bike, but call me.

If he said 98% it would mean you had 2% leak and that is very good news. So.. something else is going on or there was a variable in the dyno run your not accounting for.. Like real low psi in the rear tire, im not really sure what else to say..

12. kiggy74

At this point an injector service might be worth it just due to the fact that the motor has so many miles and because this thing only really gets used about 20 times a year with a 6 month off-season from weather. There's a lot of opportunity there for varnish to form.

Can you pls PM me some pricing info and turn around time for an inspection and cleaning of all 8 injectors? Is this something you can typically turnaround in a week?

600RR does have both upper and lower injectors btw.

13. MELK-MAN

click my link in signature to our website.. Print out the shipping form from the "shipping" page. low as $19 per inj. for full service+shipping. Serviced same or next day. UPS back to you.

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

:beer:

15. foster

foster Well-Known Member

Wow this is something I never even thought about. I mean after I put in the stabil I let her run (idle) for about 10 minutes, blip a couple times and then shut it down for the winter.

16. MELK-MAN

.. i come up with a good one every now and then :)

17. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

The 600RR's have uppers, and they come on at 4,400RPM (same as the 1000RR) and 10* TP for all years.

:up:

18. MELK-MAN

ok, good to know. The R6 uppers come on above 8k (at least that is when the velocity stacks go up, maybe the uppers spray at a lower rpm than 8k), shows what ya get when you assume. :) Still, it is unlikely most reading this and the original poster to this point, realized you have to run the honda above even 4,400 rpm to get the uppers to fire. And to get fuel from the gas tank to the uppers would take a minute or 2 as the throttle is just not open that much in neutral even getting the rev's to 5k.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  19. kiggy74

Pulled the injectors and they are on there way to Melk Man. Planning on another dyno tune after I get them back. Might help, might not, certainly worth a try.

20. MELK-MAN

inexpensive way to rule it out as an issue, and with the mileage/time on the bike it is a good idea to have done. Won't hurt a thing...will get em done ASAP. Got some Ducati injectors from a customer today, NEITHER flowed anything.. totally clogged as the bike had sat for about 6 months.