1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunglasses

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Jun 17, 2018.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I'm finally ready to upgrade from the $10 pairs I've bought in the past. I know Ray Ban is the standard but at $200 am I only paying for the name? Are there less expensive but quality options I should look at?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

He said LESS expensive.

4. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I'm still rocking my Oakley X Metal's that I paid close to $400 back in 2000. Replaced the lenses once for about $70.

Hope to get at least another 5yrs out of them!

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oakley has good lenses. Maui Jim has pretty amazing lenses. Ray Ban used to be great but not sure lately, been a while.

Polarized is the only option.

Kind of research the brands, I think a bunch are owned by the same company. I've been sticking with Oakley lately myself.

Funkm05 likes this.
  6. Oakley

...btw, if it matters, Oakley is a huge sponsor in our sport. They help a lot of racers from Club level to MotoGP.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  7. njracer

Luxottica owns like every freaking brand.

Jed, cha0s#242, BigBird and 3 others like this.
  8. njracer

Do you replace and throw them out like your face shields?

If so, I'll be happy to take them off your hands!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Lens clarity is what it's all about. I love my ray bans, and also love my oakley's. Just go try on a bunch and be able to go outside with them to test first hand. Fit is essential for all day comfort, how the lenses make things look to you matters, and of course...how cool do you look in them. :D
    Maui Jim have always seemed to be heavier than most..must have something to do with the lenses.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I had been a long time Oakley fan. Last pair of polarized the polarization layer started peeling of the lens. Switched to Maui Jim’s and they are definitely better IMO.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Bolle - 40047. Light, comfortable, impact resistant, UV rated and good for indoor/outdoor use. They're like $20, max. I use 'em for everything...weedwackin', chainsawin', shootin', topless Jeep drivin' - day and night.
    Just a decent pair of everyday wear.
    [​IMG]
    Why buy a $200 pair of glasses? You're just gonna lose 'em in a blue-water boating accident. :D

K51000 likes this.
  12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Oh hell no, unless its for fishing!

I like Oakley. Been wearing them for many years and they are reasonably priced.

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You use a lanyard on them, sheesh :rolleyes:

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I've only ever needed a lanyard when/if I put them on top of my head/hat. Defeats the purpose of havin' 'em. :D

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

16. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Watch the video on YouTube about them. Talk about a total monopoly.

17. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Rayban copied all their popular designs from Shuron who have been around since the 19th century (pince nezes and the like). I go for the originals. They are based in Greenville, SC and the owner hangs around the showroom in business casual and barefeet waiting for his next round of golf. Good people and great glasses.

18. Not quite. :D

If they get dirty, I will wipe them off.

But if they get scratched they get shitcanned.

19. njracer

I'll take the scratched ones!

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Zenni.com
    I use them for my prescription glasses but you can buy plain sunglasses from them...cheap. You can upload a pic and then see what the glasses look like on your face.

or wear poo-glasses like Dave does.

your choice.

Murcielago311 likes this.