1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strangest bike raced at a WERA event...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Oct 20, 2023.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Has anybody ever entered a race with a scooter, or maybe a Goldwing?

What's the strangest stock bike y'all have seen on the track?

Give me some stories?

2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Blackhawk Farms 1982'ish? Pit bike races, I believe? Older Honda Z50 with a sidecar added. A rolling floor seat was used for the frame, with some kind of axle and wheel attached. I was the Monkey.

Sometime between '84 and '86, I raced a Honda MB5 at Summit point regularly in the WERA pit bike races. Guys had stepped up their game there, with a maximum displacement of 100cc. I was way sideways on many occasions, trying to catch Roger Lyle on his Kawasaki KE100. Worked hard trying to make up time with my faster corner speeds. Some of my best saves happened on that MB5!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Rich Oliver on a TZ375 (or so).

dtalbott likes this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Brian Drebber should’ve gridded up that crazy wing thing he made… who remembers what it was… I’m not sure…

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen one pit bike race and it was total carnage with injuries for a few and destruction for all…it was at Gingerman and it was worse than a c production race from the 90s with plastic scooter parts everywhere

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Did Robin Tuluie ever bring the Tul-da or Tularis to any WERA events?

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Pit bike races = real life Road Rash. :D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I saw someone actually try to race a tlr. Those things are barely even bikes, let alone track worthy.

And my buddy Turpin on the MotoCzysz. That thing was strange. And very cool.

Ah, but neither one at a WERA event. Oh well.

dtalbott likes this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

that’s all that was missing… weapons :crackup:

pickled egg likes this.
  10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I think I remember pics of it at Blackhawk… I know Robbie tested it somewhere but I’m sure that would’ve been Brainerd…

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

There was a guy out of Colorado that used to bring his TLR’s to Brainerd, guy was hauling the mail on them!

brex likes this.
  12. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

AAMRR used to have Dandy Pocket Bike races. Helmet, gloves, and full leathers required.
    USCRA had races out back in Frontierland. One time the Soho Vespa factory team showed up.

dtalbott likes this.
  13. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Saw an electric cruiser at a Wera West Willow Springs. It was fast. You knew it was coming every time down the straight. Didnt look like it handled very well, was running a class on his own I think. was in 2021 I believe.

dtalbott likes this.
  14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

[​IMG]

15. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Yes, the Tul-da for sure; I raced against him several times on my FZR400 in D-Super and F2.

Once a Wanker.., 27 and pickled egg like this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you’ll appreciate this odd connection egg…

so Chuck Sorensen’s dog named Jessie just died and I sent him condolences and a link to the video for the song Jessie from the band PAW, a grungy 90s rocker group… it’s a song about the guys dog named Jessie that died… Chuck said he’d forgot about PAW but his buddy used one of their videos for the video game….. Road Rash :crackup:

our tiny little racing world where nearly everything is connected

Once a Wanker.. and pickled egg like this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Watching Photo Ken @JGP in full battle gear on a pocket bike around 2008 or so was enough to make everyone lose it.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honda (I think Al Luddington) actually built that, the Frankenwing. Stripped down and modified 1500 Wing...truly cool.

dtalbott, Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, raced a bunch up north back in the day.

Once a Wanker.. and pickled egg like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lemme see....

PW50 at Tally in a mini race, kept cutting the course from the 90s to the old front straight...
    Tuluies stuff
    Britten
    Kennys old 500 GP bikes.
    The barstool - can't remember what it was exactly but it was a clubman bike (maybe a Honda dual sport stripped down with no bodywork), I think John Kennett
    Any number of cool stuff like JUs Moriwaki endurance machine, the Methanol Monster, the turbo CBR900s and on and on

dtalbott and Once a Wanker.. like this.