1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strangest bike raced at a WERA event...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Oct 20, 2023.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

IMG_3136.jpeg

Yeah, that’s his Radbusa he called it… and yeah, he’s Elmer’s glue white… but pimp walked everywhere and spoke in Ebonics… :D funny times… I had dreads or braids down to my ass back then like a native grunge rocker :D

after he came down to concede that I could ride my little R6 well, but I was a little wild for his liking… I asked him if he hurt his leg because he was limping ;)

we got along well after that and like I said his wrench was a kick ass dude that sounded like a smoother Venus Flytrap with the name to match Lenny Love :D

dtalbott likes this.
  2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I remember seeing a can-am 175 (Blackhawk) , xl350( Dennis Somebody out of SE Cycles in Milwaukee), Hercules wankle rotary( Some guys from Ohio?), Maico 4?? (At Grattan), GS100e with stock tires (John Mabry at IRP), Yamaha 550 Vision (My brother), KZ1300( Brainerd), Suzuki GT750 (Brainerd and Summit Point), MBA 125 (Mike Schneider), VT500F (Mike Schneider), RD375, (Mike Schiltz) KTM 400 (Alex Bub), Vf750S Sabre (Erik Buell at IRP).

Once a Wanker.. and dtalbott like this.
  3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Someone raced a 88' ? I believe it was zx10.It was done up/sponsored by Castrol? One of the oil Companies.

I raced a Frankenstein RG 500 that Rocky Stargel had built.His first race bike,at Road Atlanta.I don't know
    what all he had done to it,but it was fast! I started on the last row,and had zero prctice on it.
    I made it all the way into 2nd place on the first lap.It floated through the corners like a Goldwing pig,but was
    stupid fast,once you plowed out the back of turns. I seized it on the last lap just before the gravity cavity.
    I believe,he and Rick Lance had been working on it together at the time,and I got to be the test monkey to see
    if it was gonna kill anyone

969, Boman Forklift and dtalbott like this.
  4. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Didnt Tripp Knobles race some monstered out ZRX1100 I believe with wera ? I remeber him running top 2 on it

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You are all WRONG!.

Strangest bike ever raced at any road course.....

A nice, Non-clapped out SV. Rarer than a Britten, Black Shadow or TZ750.

:D

6. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

@pickled egg was it Donahue that rode that bike with the big bars and whatnot. I remember seeing a picture. Friggin hilarious.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Brett did plenty of oddball shit, and I remember Chiodo frankengooning some GSXR stuff together too.

Were you around for the Barcolounger? Kevin Staples put something into a recliner, I remember (I believe) Greg White taking it down pit lane during an AMA weekend.

Ducman851 and dtalbott like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I keep having these dreams that my GS750 was factory trick and sano as fuck. :D

Thinking about it coldly it was a rusting, cobbled together heap of seat of the pants engineering. :D
    Minimum of three (sometimes more) oil coolers, milled down cases, total loss ignition that lost power often. Tuned to just side of complete of coming apart in a huge plume of oil smoke, tears and cuss words. Rattle can paint . . .

it’s what was cool. :D

969 and dtalbott like this.
  9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Hold up, Erik ZTL Brakes Buell road raced a V45 Sabre?! Dude clearly has a screw loose and I now like him more for it. My first bike I street rode was a V65 Magna, and I put way too much time into making a V65 Sabre nice before moving on to a Ducati ST.

dtalbott likes this.
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I don't believe any bike has gone 200 at BIR, including Rads Busa or any AMA superbike.

969 likes this.
  11. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

More Britten racing details ….let’s hear it

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I was on the track at the same time as this bike ... out lap at DIS, AHRMA practice session, 1997. In my head I am screaming to myself "WTF am I doing here, sharing the track with THAT thing!"

dtalbott and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  13. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

who owned it ? That’s pretty cool
    Give him a wide berth !

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

:crackup:Man I was coming to say I never actually witnessed it but heard rumors of a PRISTINE SV

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I took the kid to watch NHRA drags this year and when the funny cars launched I wish I had videoed it. :crackup:

a few days later she said she had never heard, felt, smelled anything like that. I told her she missed three things as visceral as that that will never happen again. Ever. Motörhead live, a V12 formula 1 engine at warmup and being around a Britten.

969, dtalbott and 27 like this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

cool, you guys would know… Rad was full of shit quite often so maybe it was his own radar gun and correction factor of 20% with projected estimated results only :crackup:

dtalbott likes this.
  17. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

All of this, the memories, the stories, would make a killer movie.

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was dead central for drag racing up in PA. A lot of companies had distribution points, executives had summers houses and they were all about (and also tobacco money). Shit, on my stink wheels one of my biggest backers was a cam manufacturer. :D

I had a ton of chances to go drag racing but I passed. Biggest mistake on my racing time (next to taking Dunpop development cast offs and trying to race on them).

PA was where the racing world revolved outside of nascar, motorcycles and F1 in the 70s and 80s.

Once a Wanker.., dtalbott and 27 like this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I said I was done naming names and telling past stories and I’m mostly sticking to that.
    No stories of Siebkens and the dick to ass pileups. No stories on the nitrocup. No stories of shooting road signs from a 928 with shotguns with two world champs. No point in outing them.

but WERA from vir and 2000 on, fair game!

20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Between 1979 and 1982? That was probably my father. Bob Kohlscheen. Out of Iowa. He had one for sprint races, and another he endurance raced. He rode a couple of years in Battle of Twins on a Norvin, too.
    We had a friend who regularly raced a Egli framed Vincent. Placed pretty well in one of the BoT classes one year, because he was able to make every race, lol
    I'm sure we saw, not only a 1100 Goldwing, but a CBX race around Mid-America in Wentzville, MO in the very early 80s.

Once a Wanker.., dtalbott and 27 like this.