1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strangest bike raced at a WERA event...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Oct 20, 2023.

1. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

He also had the Rotax motored TZ250 chassis and the destroked 748R aka the 699R.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why? That’s gotta be a horrible ride. Vibrate your fillings out and put your hands and arms asleep.

Those rotax singles in a woods chassis were cool.

3. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

I ask myself that same question multiple times when I talk to Brett.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

He rode that thing like he stole it, though.

And you’re right, how every joint in his body didn’t vibrate apart tipping into turn one at full tilt boogie, I’ll never know.

5. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I recall some guy showing up at Talladega back mid 90's on a Rotax.At the time Grant Lopez,and Patrick Luwig
    owned the place.This guy on the Rotax beat Ludwig I believe 3 outta 4 races,before he finally crashed it out.
    He was very fast,and that was my first time even hearing about a Rotax motor.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Was it Green with a drum rear and disc front brake? Might have been an MT125?
    I remember there being one at the Honda dealership in stroudsburg that was near the mall.

7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Did a trackday at Tally once and someone had a Gurney Gator. that was pretty weird.

stk0308, DJ Baker and dtalbott like this.
  8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Cool story about those Rotax engines.

being a flat tracker I know a great deal about them and still have a few.

anyways, one of the heads I’ve saved over the years still has the “Wood” stamp with some very nice porting.

even cooler, about 5 years ago I scored a complete 99% DOHC Rotax kit that turned them into water cooled DOHC hot rods. Unfortunately I’ll probably never get around to using either of them as the Rotax is basically extinct.

Also, there about 5 years ago there was a team in AHRMA that actively road races CBX. Maybe Tim’s CBX or something like that.

some of the best sounding bikes against the front wall at Barber.

9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I raced a TLR, was a complete blast at vintage days at Mid-Ohio. Also raced a gs500, another total blast. No power but handled great and would go wherever you pointed it.

stk0308 likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, find pictures of the Woods Rotax GP bike that was allowed to run versus the 250s.
    Wish I had the money when it was sold, it’s right up there with the RC30 on bikes I could have bought but stupidly passed on.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

That was probably Mr.CBX or MRCBX as the liveries changed. I’ve been to their garage. Some absolutely beautiful CBX superbikes and OEM restores he has.

12. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I believe he was at the Barber Vintage Festival a few weeks ago.

13. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's extinct as far as racing goes, but, like most odd machines, still has a good fan base.

I can get any part I need for my 490 cc from several suppliers.

Just ship all that old junk up to me

dtalbott likes this.
  14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Fixerated..:)

15. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

There were two of those at VMDs this year. Local guy to Mid Ohio has them in great working order. Cool as fuck.

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Can't forget the RADBUSA!!

stk0308 likes this.
  17. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

"In this corner, Winner, by default"...
    winner.jpeg

DJ Baker, ChemGuy and dtalbott like this.
  18. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

DJ Baker and dtalbott like this.
  19. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Rad's rear tire broke 200, 203 if I recall, but his front was only doing 196 or something. I remember Don S. laughing about it and wishing he would concentrate on that get out of the back-marker spot he loved, cause he got on TV every time the race leaders passed him.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

no bodywork i recall but the 87 or so had spoked 18" wheels. the first year. the mt was air cooled but i know there was a water cooled conversion kit you get for them. i wouldnt be surprised if we somehow missed out on that detail though. lol. he had some really cool stuff up there. cool dude.