1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpaceX

Discussion in 'General' started by flyboy, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

haha well... i skipped a grade for math and sciences and was in honors level stuff in MS and HS, and i have a hobbyist type interest, but no... no... freshman physics was all that was required of me and then i was far away from a science field. i can only go so far. somehow i feel like the acceleration or mass equation is a few levels more basic than this haha.

but air moving over a metal object would still have an affect on its surface temp, not just human skin. but yea you're right... that, then depending on all the other factors above.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure it's no effect up to a point but it's been a while since we've talked about it on here and even longer since I had any science classes where we looked at things like that :D

Sweatypants likes this.
  3. Sweatypants

i'm gonna just tweet at Neil DeGrasse Tyson to explain it to me haha. maybe he'll respond...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pick an altitude before you tweet him :D

5. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Only until it reached ambient temperature, then it would have no effect (assuming we're below the threshold that friction is creating heat)
    the reason we have "wind chill" is because our bodies are always above ambient temperature... well, until we're not... or if you live somewhere stupid like Arizona.

6. Sweatypants

haha probably have to pick a specific object too. i'm afraid to tweet him, he's gonna be mean (or not respond). i imagine it to be like when people tweet their terrible cooking to Gordon Ramsey hoping for a nice response.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh, go for it. Don't add the windchill part tho. :D

Say 30k feet - at what speed does friction start warming an object.

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I'm going to change my answer a bit because I was assuming subsonic speeds (motorcycle/airplane). At super high speeds friction doesn't dominate, but pressure or compression heating does.

The equations you'll need to know are Bernoulli's Equation (relates pressure, density and velocity), the first law of thermodynamics (relates pressure and density) and an equation for Isentropic Compression (relates pressure and temperature). All of those equations relate the properties of the air flow at two different states. You have three unknowns (the pressure, density and temperature of the second state), but you have three equations so you should be able to solve for them.

There are a lot of other effects at such high speeds, but using the above equations you should be able to get a ballpark answer.

9. Sweatypants

haha i will do some reading. something tells me i asked a question for an answer i will now regret.

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

It's a rabbit hole for sure (if you're into that kind of thing). The equations are relatively straight forward, but the why is important too (if you're into that kind of thing).

Bernoulli's: p1 * .5 * rho1 * v1^2 = p2 * .5 * rho2 * v2^2
    First law: p1 * (1/rho1)^gamma = p2 * (1/rho2)^gamma
    Isentropic Compression: p1^(1-gamma) * T1^gamma = p2^(1-gamma) * T2^gamma

p = pressure
    v = velocity
    T = temperature
    rho = density
    gamma = ratio of specific heats (1.4 for air)

What's interesting here is that the velocity of the first state is the speed of the vehicle while the velocity of the second state is 0. This is because you're assuming a reference frame of the front of the aircraft which is slamming into the incoming flow (stagnation point).

11. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

The answer is three-fiddy. The answer is always tree-fiddy but if you want to tweet him, ask him about the airplane on the treadmill

Sweatypants likes this.
  12. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

13. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Cool shots! Surprised the little dude was awake at that hour.

14. Inquizid

Are you kidding? He hopped right up!
    Wants to be a pilot... “gotta get off this rock”

We are staying on St Augustine Beach. I try and time our family vacations with launch dates.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

That one is carrying a scientific experiment designed and built by some DFW area public school students.

16. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I wanted to be a pilot too when I was little. I wanted to fly an F16 so bad. Dreams were ruined when I grew over 6' tall in 8th grade :crackup:. Tell him to keep studying. There's more than one way to get into space if you can't be a pilot.

I still haven't made it out to watch a launch. Could you hear it from where you were?

17. Inquizid

No only see it
    We did New Smyrna Beach one year and heard it there.

Yeah his fallback plan is to be a Ninjaneer...that’s a ninja who’s also an engineer.

panthercity and OGs750 like this.
  18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I didn't quite make it up in time to watch this morning, but thanks for the photos!

19. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

20. ton

ton Arf!

thanks!

so glad i got to see that. booster landing on the drone ship still blows my mind.