1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpaceX

Discussion in 'General' started by flyboy, Dec 21, 2015.

1. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Damn they did it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

3. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Crazy!!

4. oilslinger

oilslinger Well-Known Member

What exactly are these satellites? I'm clueless right now but interested...

5. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Some sort of communication satellite. Amazing they soft landed the 1st stage! That will supposedly lower the cost of future launches

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Ho-Lee-Shit. That's ridiculous.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

That's so cool, particularly the upright landing part...suppose they use the 6 axis control ECU out of a Ducati?

On another note, when I see this I am totally amazed by what NASA did 50 years ago with slide rules and vacuum tubes....

8. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

No kidding! It's still a difficult endeavor today but the old guys also didn't know what they didn't know.....materials are better ect. Somewhat surprising every rocket didn't blow up

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Actually the contract went to the lowest bidder so it was a Chinese forgery off a Bucati :)

10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Heck yeah, awesome stuff. Great things happening now, going to be a good time to be a space fan.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I hope they're showing this stuff in schools the way they did with launches/etc. in the sixties.
    If we want kids to be inspired to go into STEM, this is just the ticket.

panthercity likes this.
  12. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Setting a new benchmark for performance for sure. CAn't wait to see what this does to space travel when you can control the costs this much,

Fantastic.

13. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

When the first stage landed the crowd outside of mission control went bonkers! There was so much excitement that I momentarily forgot that the mission hadn't been completed yet. S1 landed before S2 finished its burn and delivered the payload. We cheered as each of the satellites was finally released into orbit.

I would compare the levels of tension and elation to being at a championship game combined with a rock show. Except with more nerds. :D

Best day of work ever.

Kurlon, ungwaha, Jed and 1 other person like this.
  14. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

I saw today some interesting numbers on launch cost.

Total launch cost was $50-60 million
    Cost of 1st stage is $40million alone!!! :eek:
    Cost of fuel for landing $200K

I guess if you can reuse a $40million part it will drastically cut down launch cost!

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I geeked out so hard I ordered two shirts and two hats from SpaceX just after the launch.

Anybody know the estimated turn around time to rebuild / refit stage 1? I guess if it costs less than $40M to get it back on the pad it's still a cost savings over a new rocket.

16. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Good call by SpaceX to have it at night. You know serve some cocktails to the nerds and watch them go crazy. :)
    I bet it could be the new rave events.

Watched it live last night on the interwebs and I'll admit I got excited when the light washout effect diminished a bit and you saw the stage upright and still slowing. Then bam, lights out and it was still upright. Kind of wish I was there with all the other nerds.

Wondered why this was on land and the other attempts were on a barge. Read the twitter link about the payload differences though, so next step is the barge?

17. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

From what I read from Musk, the turnaround logistics are still being figured out. Not sure they really know what has to refurnished and what has to be replaced to reuse the stage.

Jed likes this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I was thinking that may be the case. Until you have a used stage to pick apart you don't really know what you need to replace. If they can reuse the motors that alone would probably be a huge savings.

19. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

The party after Dragon first docked with the ISS got so out of hand that there was an email telling people not to bring booze to launches. There were still a couple pops of champagne being opened last night.

The first attempts on the barge were for safety reasons. We weren't given clearance for a land landing until we could demonstrate we could hit a target. Even though the pervious attempts were failures, we did prove we could navigate back accurately.

The orbit we're putting the payload into also dictates whether we're landing on land or the barge. Some orbits will put the rocket significantly downrange and we wouldn't have the fuel to make it back to land. The extra fuel needed to come back a further distance will mean less mass available for payload.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  20. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

Where do I send my resume? Surely they need someone to make coffee and answer phones there!

backbone and Hawk518 like this.