1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

stk0308 likes this.
  2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That just made my day. I watched it at least 10 times and laughed harder every time.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Not to burst your bubble, but that's a professionnal stuntman, video was made in France.

stk0308 likes this.
  5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Really? Well that's disappointing. He did seem to dismount rather cleanly.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Here's the full video :

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

And it's been going around the internet for the last 15 years.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

Well...you did, Buzzkill. :D

That's the kind of buzzkill that happens when you and your closest friends are trippin' through the German countryside, in autumn, and come across a huge tree standing all alone. We could see spirits hangin' out on the branches and being all natural and shit. It was awesome!
    Then Lurch, the guy that was most "mental" calmly says, "Looks dead to me."
    And just like that <snap>, it was a dead tree. WTF? :crackup:

9. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

Thanks and no problem, I didn't know anyone with an AT either and never sat on or was close up to one before deciding on the ATAS. Found this one about 8 months old in late 2019 old with 1500 miles, bone stock and had it shipped, guess it was too tall for the guy. Only around 8500 miles now since last year was a wash.

Camel-ADV high fender kit, stock ATAS upper light bar with Hepco & Becker lower bars as I liked the factory look of the H&P lowers. Also installed the H&P bracing bow for the stock "light" bars for reinforcement. The Stomp Grip was pre-cut "Volcano" kit but didn't like the shape so peeled it off and cut to shape. Could never get any grip on the tank previously, especially under acceleration or standing so was beneficial in just about every situation.

Yeah, Doubletake mirrors, figured they'd hold up better to crash damage + replacement parts availability/cost. They work well, no issues at all. Pegs are Fastway Evo 4 stainless pegs, on the ATAS they only fit in the low position. Wasn't sure if I wanted lower pegs but my legs are less cramped and more comfortable on longer rides and the wider platform is nice. They came with 10 & 12 mm cleats (grub/set screws) and I replaced with 8mm so still get some traction without tearing up boots. Ohlins cartridges and shock - the suspension was terrible, huge difference with good valving and proper spring rates.

A few other things here and there, I'm happy enough with where it's at so mostly just maintenance at this point.

10. fastfreddie

Thanks. Sounds like you're gonna work it more offroad than on. :cool:

11. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

Probably not, I like it too much as an everyday all-around bike so quite a bit of road use with some big ADV bike approriate offroad.

12. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Anyone found a decent fully integrated bark buster/turn signal/flip up mirror combination? Zeta makes the guard/turn signal, HDB makes the guard/mirror (I think), but I haven’t found a good solution for all three together.

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

hard to find any more but HDB did have integrated LED turn signals in their hand guards a while ago. I bought a set directly from them a couple of years ago when I was replacing the plastic guards. Might be worth a call and see if they have any more... plus IMHO they are the strongest hand guards on the market if you mount them with the huge tapped threads in the end of the bars. Mine are bent to shit but given how often I throw down my 950, the fact that they are still on the bike is a minor miracle.

Britt likes this.
  14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Not sure what the most current options are as there are quite a few full on "street" tires for the ADV crowd as like SUV's many are not really ridden off pavement. The limitation for track or hard street with the 21" front is trail braking, try to get your braking done straight up and down before you start throwing the bike into corners, but after you build a bit of confidence you'll be shocked at the speeds you can carry with a semi knobby front tire on the pavement.

As for actual tires, the Pirelli MT90 ST was always a good option for more street riding but still worked decent on dirt roads, or the MT90 AT version is a bit more dirt (but not even close to a "real" dirt tire). I had a set of the ST's on a spare wheels for my 950SE for street use before I bought the 1290. Very grippy and worked great in the rain.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

A first look with 1 pic of the headlights? Sheesh.

I bet it's a pig.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Within 10 pounds of the T700.

19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Now that looks cool. Take off the mufleur and lose 80 lbs. Front fender broke off in a week. So 450 wet minus 10 is 440 without racks. Nice number for the classmates, indeed. But still too heavy for me. My Hyper is ~380 dry plus 41 lbs. of gas (full at 6.9 gal, 40-45 mpg, 275 mi. range) = 421 pounds. That bike has bigger tars and much more off road capable, but my bike has 90 h.p. and 103 Nm of torque, I can blast that bike on highway and dirt roads, and I can still do Mosquito Pass on it. IMHO, these guys need to focus more on killograms. I expect more between old tech 2008 and new tech 2021. Still look cool.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Agree.... lightweight is the holy grail and for some reason, probably cost, it is still elusive.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.