1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Yawn......not enough material change to make me want to part ways with my Tiger

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Still too heavy. My 950SE is 410 dry. And, it is 14 years old. And it makes more power than the 660.

They have all the components and the capability. Why oh why does not someone make a light DS? 375 lbs and 75 hp. That will do it. Sheesh, you'd think it was rocket science.

Cheers,

Dave

Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.
  3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Doesn't the KTM (and various alternate color options) 690 cover that metric? 80hp, 330lbs?

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

low 70's at 8000 maybe..single cylinder...the 890 has more 89'ish but is 466lbs wet...meh. I'll stick with the old 950.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No way in hell I’d ever own an Aprilia, especially a 660 variant.

Once a Wanker.. and stk0308 like this.
  6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Well, survived my CO-BDR trip last week. 1100 miles over 8 days. Picked up the BDR north of Delores, and ended up in Steamboat Springs. Skipped Ophir and Mosquito pass, specifically, but did a number of other ones. Hurricane, Cumberland, Cinnamon, Hagerman, Cottonwood(paved, yes, but a great road!). The Tiger 900 Rally held up quite well, and complimented me in ease of riding. I did find a leaking left fork seal after day 5, the front suspension took a couple hard hits on the preceding days over some of the more rocky passes. I picked a less than gentile line a few times, and just went with it to keep the momentum up. I also found one damaged plastic bit, just below the left side of the gas tank, part of the radiator air management. It caught a very tall rock when I dropped it. That same rock put a good gouge in the front side of the Outback Motortech crash bars. Pushed them back, just a touch, but there was some momentum involved...again, lol Only had 5-6 drops for the week. Mostly on the first 2 days. The first day our ride leader took us over some wholly inappropriate dual sport routes. A tough, and frustrating start. It took us somewhere between 5-6 hours to go from Salida to Pagosa Springs. We had hotel reservations in Durango for that night, and his route had us get there via Silverton from Pagosa Springs. We veto'ed that and beat feet for the planned hotel.

Overall, a fun adventure. No one died, only light bruising on a couple guys. We got very lucky with the weather. It was dry, and mostly warm. Some of these damn fools are already talking about ID-BDR next year. We'll see.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Sounds like a good time!
    I guess dropping it is par for the course?

8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Too bad your guide didn't plan more appropriately. There is some great riding out there. And, it is to be enjoyed - not rushed or cramed into an impossible day.

The 550 side of Ophir is easy and enjoyable. The Ophir side is simply a long rubble pile. It is usually filled with day rental jeeps that ignore all aspects of trail etiquiette and thus complicate matters.

Mosquito is doable on your Triumph. There are a rocky, technical sections at the bottom and near the top that would have been a challenge, but with friends and a good attitude, you'd have been fine. I was with a guy years ago that went up it on a V-Strom 1000. Damn good rider. I was impressed. Momentum is your friend. I was on an XR650R and it gave me all I wanted that day.

The best part of the COBDR is south of I-80. Good riding north to Steamboat to be sure, but my recollectio is that is almost exclusively fast, flowy farm roads. There is a short section immediately north of I-80 that had small canyons that reminded me of some Baja-like stuff, and then you rode along the river. Fun, fun.

More than one person has eyes on IDBDR for 2022 . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

stk0308 likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Seems like I saw you posted about it on one of the FB pages(?). The posted pics looked amazing.

10. baconologist

That could be fun!
    Congrats on a great ride. Doesn’t feel good to get the first scar out of the way?

11. stk0308

Some of my group were posting to the CO-BDR group in FB, so, there's a chance.

ducnut likes this.
  12. stk0308

I did go in with the mindset that this bike was going to get dinged up, so it doesn't bother me as much as it would on a streetbike. So, I got that going for me, lol

13. stk0308

Section 4 was just opened a day, or so, before we got there. The got the fire contained. Didn't see too much fire scaring, but it was good riding.

Once you navigate the gypsum mining area above I70, it does opens up nicely. The run next to the river, and RIGHT next to an active rail, was interesting alright. We couldn't do the BDR route, proper, south of Steamboat due to the national park area being closed for the fire. But, by then we were OK with a nice small day.

14. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Story I read was it was a moto journalist. The crash really happened. The video with the chick came afterwards as they made a comedy video at the expense of the journalist because it was too good an opportunity to let it go.

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I did more research and it turns out that it was an accident after all. Lolo Cochet (the rider) is indeed a stuntman, but the crash wasn't staged. They were filming for another purpose entirely. He even broke his wrist in the accident. So there you have it, I stand corrected.

16. baconologist

Wife is tired of my shit and kicking me out for 3 weeks. Where to go?
    Tell me about Big Bend / Del Rio / W Tx
    Or leave the bike at home, take the Heep and head up into the snow.....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

NMBDR

ducnut, duggram and baconologist like this.
  18. baconologist

Lots of sand?
    I’m on a Street Triple with Shinko 705’s. I don’t mind dirt/gravel but sand and big rocks not so much.

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Sorry, not gonna work without lots of hustling it...there is some sand, mud, water and ROCKS..(Borrow a BigSingle)...LOL (Weather is looking Awesome)

duggram and baconologist like this.
  20. baconologist

Anyone selling a cheap DR650?