1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

This is what came out

95AF4A4E-817B-4B7E-8F3B-99A7D128FFC5.jpeg

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Spark arrestor.

baconologist likes this.
  3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I think FMF prides itself on LoudAss Noises..

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

So you can feel like a Fast Mother Fucker.

turner38 and Britt like this.
  5. baconologist

Screw the COVID!

702356D9-A29E-426F-90A7-26932568E61B.jpeg

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Well, went and rode the Tiger 800, and 900 last weekend then went back Friday and rode a 790 Adventure...

Picked up the new 790 Adventure R yesterday afternoon, really liking it so far but haven’t had a chance to get it Dirty yet, gonna head out in a little bit and see if I can find some trails.

Attached Files:

7. baconologist

What made you go with the 790?

8. turner38

Seems a bit more dirt orientated. I would probably be happier with a Tiger on the road pounding out miles, but figure I will be happier with this when the road ends....
    So I chose the KTM.

baconologist likes this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Did it start at the dealer when you went to pick it up ? :D

10. turner38

LOL, yep!
    Truth be told I was a little apprehensive when they said they had to
    Take it in the back to unlock it though....

Banditracer and Britt like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s a KTM thing, apparently. I just read where a 390 had to be “unlocked”.

Yep. I love my 800XCx, as a road bike. Staying from demoing a 900, for sure.

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

KTM locks the bike when they are on the dealer floor. Too many bikes stolen off the floor to be ridden around the inner cities of the US so the dealers/KTM started locking the ECU's on the bikes when they are on floor. In order to ride them they have to unlock the ECU.

At least that's what I was told.

I just got a new (to me) little bike. 2015 500EXC. Can't wait to actually go out and ride the thing. Hopefully this weekend, I'll get out for at least a day. Anyone got a Rekluse CX or Scotts that they don't like? :)

Phl218 likes this.
  13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

turner38 and baconologist like this.
  14. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I am planning on buying either a KLR or something similar later this summer to putter around the mountains and check out some dirt roads, no real ADV type stuff because I have some back issues that could be a problem doing hardcore offroad. I have ridden a KLR and I remember it as being pretty solid. My biggest concern is the seat height, I'm 5'8" and have short legs so it sounds like I may have a hard time stopping on uneven ground, but otherwise, I think the KLR may fit what I want to do. Just ride it.

I have also looked at the VStrom 650XT because it looks like it would be more fun on the pavement and still gets around Ok in the mild off road riding.

I am probably looking to spend under 5K so finding a good used bike is a concern too and I see KLRs on CL all the time with low miles. Don't see many VStroms or other brands that I would be interested in like the DR and KTM looks like it will be out of my budget.

Any thoughts on these models compared to each other.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/top-10-adventure-motorcycles-for-short-riders/
    Didn't read all of the short blurbs for each model pic but some seemed quite suited for toolin' around for the day without packin' for an expedition. Keep in mind, this article is six years old.

I would never own a KTM (too many horror stories) so any opinion I might have on them is without first-hand experience/knowledge.
    I can tell you I have crashed the shit out of a YZ426F and that thing is built like a tank. I imagine the WRs are just as tough.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  16. baconologist

At your height I’d look for a Tiger 800 low

jrsamples and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  17. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

You will struggle to touch your toes on the mighty KLR.

18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You could touch on this. Little lighter that a KLR, not as good suspension (but you don't need better for that riding), 6.9 gal tank (must buy), shit ton of grunt, no buzz at highway speeds, will go more places than you'd probably want to. Something different and a lot of fun on dirt and highway. Safe choice is Tiger low.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Ducati-HYPERMOTARD-1100-5011762289

[​IMG]

Norton 357 likes this.
  19. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

There is a Tiger 800 will all the extras for sale in Atlanta for $4500 with 52K miles. Does that sound right for those miles?

I like the Triumph but it is hard to find one with low miles in my budget, ($5k or less) and the Ducati would be cool but taking one off road just seems criminal. There is a 2012 Hypermotard 796 locally with 8K miles for $6500, a little over budget but sounds like a good deal.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have a variety of adventure bikes right now including a DR. I choose the DR over the KLR simply because the DR has better off-road prowess. I've yet to even put 100 miles on the DR but I'll say this...people that do long miles on a DR (or KLR for that matter) have my respect because I find it damn near horrifying to ride this thing on certain roads, let alone the highway. I guess I'm spoiled with bigger/better bikes. If it was my only ride, I wouldn't own either. I'd get the Versys or Strom. I've even thought about ditching the DR and getting a Strom but I have other stuff that fits the bill so the DR stays put for now. Just my .02.

Norton 357 likes this.