1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

That's good to know. This will be my only bike for now and while I tend to stick to back roads there are times when you just have to pound the slab and I was concerned about an under powered single for that.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm sure others will come along and say it's no problem at all but I'm not comfortable riding it on the highway for any distance.

3. FZRCraig

FZRCraig Offensive to Most

Kind of a odd duck, but pretty fun to ride...

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Don’t stress over the miles too much. Several 100k bikes out there. I’m at 60k and would go back to the arctic tomorrow.
    This one?
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/d/atlanta-2011-triumph-tiger-800-abs/7115185912.html

The CEL is NOT “par for the course”
    In have the same 2011 “roadie”

5. FZRCraig

Lemme try that again. This is the odd duck...

20191020_114646.jpg

6. Norton 357

Don’t stress over the miles too much. Several 100k bikes out there. I’m at 60k and would go back to the arctic tomorrow.
    This one?
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/d/atlanta-2011-triumph-tiger-800-abs/7115185912.html

The CEL is NOT “par for the course”
    In have the same 2011 “roadie”

Yep, that's the one. I didn't think that would be par for the course either. Just trying to get an idea of what these bikes are worth and what would be considered high mileage.

Thanks for the input. Can always depend on this place for good info.

7. Norton 357

Lemme try that again. This is the odd duck...

I must have been away longer that I realized. Had no idea BMW made a bike like that

8. FZRCraig

It’s mostly Aprilia with a Rotax motor. BMW offered it for only two years.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Jeez Craig, 3 posts on the same day, is that some kind of a record ? :Poke: :D

How's things up there with you and yours ?

10. FZRCraig

It’s a record, Ken! Being stuck at friggin home does that to a person. Next I’ll be joining Facebook......nah!

Banditracer likes this.
  11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

normally I'd not worry about the mileage on an 800 but the CEL seems strange especially when it was just in the shop. If it's nothing, then clear the code and move on.

DR's are much more dirt oriented compared to the KLR. Buddy has 2 of them and loves them but he also put shit like Ohlins suspension and RMZ forks on them to bash away. He's got 3 KTM 500's and 2 950 SE's so he's kinda weird like that. I've ridden plenty of stuff with him from blasting freeways to single track, but he's also tall and a good rider. Same for the KLR, with a well set up example you can do whatever you want. One of the guys on our 24 hour race team raced his 24 hour ironman class at Perry (decently hard 24 hour race in Alabama) with his KLR. Rode to the race a couple of hours, changed tires, raced 24 hours and rode home. I think he's hit his head a few times. :)

KTM's are hard to beat, but unless you look at the 1090 I think most might be out of the price range but now that the 790's are out, I think the prices on the 1090's are coming down. Might look around and see if you can find one for your price range. Lowering it shouldn't be too hard. Motor is solid for lots of miles, maintenance is good, and just a fun bike to ride.

Vstroms are great if you only plan light forest service roads, the cast wheels and 19" front limit the exploring that you might want to do, but that's an option.

It's a good time to be looking for a bike!

12. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Slowly coming along! Its DR790 XL now :D

19" not at all...works great! I got Warp9 Adventure wheels (17 x 4.25 and 19 x 2.25) so I can use all readily available Adv tires!

thumbnail_IMG_20200508_175041_5.jpg

418 and motoracer1100 like this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

They're all available in 21”, too. Nice choice with Motoz, as well.

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I had a light on my 2012 tiger 800 that showed up the day the previous owner came to meet me. Ended up being some issue with the battery being dead and there being some lack of communication to the immobilizer. Anyhow there’s something where that issue pops up then goes away on its own after 10 cycles of actually riding the bike a little. (Aka you cant just turn the bike on and off 10 times). So that light went away on its own.

15. Norton 357

Are there any issues with the Tiger 800 that I should be wary of?
    If I could find a deal on one I would be interested.
    Obviously I like British bikes based on my avatar.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The 1st Gens (2010-2014) have stepper motors that control idle speed that need to be kept spotlessly clean or they start hanging up. It’s best to remove it and install a manual adjuster setup from a 675. Starters are becoming an issue on these earlier bikes. CCT’s can be something to lookout for.

The 2nd Gens (2015-2017) gain electronics and eliminate the stepper motor. Upper models are CANbus and have cruise control, TC, etc. The only issues I know of are the XC bikes can have stability issues related to their WP suspension having what amounts to 450MX spring rates and them being overly sagged in the frontend. Obviously, this reduces trail and creates the problem. The other thing is frontend hop related to the front wheel. I had/have both problems. My suspension is reworked and rides ~25mm down into its travel, so it’s much taller and is dead-stable, now. The frontend hops ~33-38mph. I just need to send both wheels out Dubya and them rehooped with quality rims. Both are very common, though.

I know nothing of the 3rd Gens (2017-2018), other than they’re an improvement over the previous bikes. Many owners having moved up.

The 900 is all the rave, now. I’m staying away. Haha.

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

thats predominately XC problems when they are ridden off road alot.
    my XR has been as reliable as a Honda when kept to pavement and gravel roads

malamute likes this.
  18. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Just picked up a WR250R. As I've been exploring around socal, I'm losing count of the times I sat in my truck and said to myself, "I could make it up/down/over/through there if I were only on a bike." Guess it's time to nut up or shut up.

ducnut and Britt like this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Next week I'm throwing the GS and 990 in my truck and heading to Columbia PA to ride with my son over Memorial weekend. Any tips on places to go in northern PA or southern NY? Watkins Glen State Park looks pretty nice but they aren't allowing camping until June. Need someplace to pitch a tent.

Boman Forklift and Britt like this.
  20. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Tons of great State Forest roads in north central PA and dirt/limited maintenance roads in the area. PA is probably a better bet for camping in the next few weeks, easy to find campsites there depending on the level of accommodations you are looking for. Hopefully food for those on the go is a bit easier to find by then, still a bit hit or miss. I live 45 minutes west of Watkins Glen right on the NY/PA border, smack dab in the middle of nothing. If you get jammed up you are welcome to camp here. I also have a KTM 690 enduro R if you were interested in a local guide/tag along.

For PA you can use this site: [URL]https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateForests/FindAForest/Pages/default.aspx[/url]
    Then pick a forest/region and pull up the map for the area to pick roads. They used to have print copies available and may still if that would help. I have ridden all over NY and PA if you have any specific questions once you start setting a plan.