1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, looks like we have a plan. Found a place called Colton Point State Park that will be open and is a decent ride from Columbia. Camping is FCFS so we should be OK in that respect, and it's right next to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Should be a great time!

2. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Good deal, that is a nice area. If things are open back up the Ansonia Inn/Burning Barrel on rt6 right close by has good food and a decent beer selection. Wellsboro PA is close and a nice town. Route 144 is a bit west on rt6, runs north and south from Galeton PA down to the State College area and is a fun paved motorcycle road with lots of State Forest road off shoots. Just to the north of the Grand Canyon is the Asaph State Forest area, fun roads there to, remote camping as well which is almost always empty on the odd chance Colton Point is full. Have fun and I hope the weather is decent.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to copy this and look into those routes. Big thanks on the alternate camping too. I have a feeling it could get crowded if things are opening up all the sudden.

And that is too funny...my son sent me this picture yesterday!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Just returned from doing the New Mexico BDR north to south, Antonito, CO to Truth or Consequences, NM. I highly recommend this to anyone thinking about it.

1. All routes were open. Only the dam area just west of Abiquiu was closed. Slab around it.

2. No gas in Luna.

3. All campgrounds are closed, but the is ample dispersed camping available.

4. Dry, dry, dry.

5. The "expert" sections are for experienced, capable big bike riders. If you're in doubt, make sure you have friends with you.

6. The sliver Tahoe's on the reservation with the light bar hidden on top are reservation law enforcement. The wide open, fast reservation farm roads that have speed limits posted are subject to speed limit enforcement. Jus' sayin' . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Looks like the Caroo 3 tires that came on the 790 will be gone in another 1,000 miles or so. What is a good choice for a aggressive tread tire? Anyone had any luck out of the Anakee Wilds?

Seriously considering a chainsaw mount for local stuff also, anyone done that? Went and rode trail 81 up at Ocoee a couple of weeks ago and got stuck by trees near the end, had to turn around and go back the way I came. Not fun at the time.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Britt likes this.
  6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Have you used the tent space resource on advrider? I did it once and it went perfectly.

I'm thinking about heading out on the KTM for a couple of days by myself this weekend. I've been feeling really cooped up. Maybe a ride to northern KY at least.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Check the weather cause it was looking like shit last time i checked but if you do make it.... plenty of cold beers right across the river. Just shoot me a PM.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d look at the Motoz Tractionator ADV (what I run on my 800XCx).

If you wanted more front tire, the Rallz is a good choice with the ADV rear. The dude over at XLADV has been running this combo on his 790 and really likes it.

A buddy who has ridden his 800XCx all over UT, CO, SD, WI, etc, says tires with knobs straight across, in a rows (like the Karoo), side-step on bigger bikes much worse. He swears by Motoz, as well.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Mefo Super Explorer.

Dunlop 908, albeit expensive.

What size? I may have something you can try . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It has a 150/70/18 on it.
    That is the only size WPS lists the 908 in. May try that next. Or still may try the Anakee Wilds. Always had good luck with Michelin’s...

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Danny - you have a PM.

Cheers,
    dave

12. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

You guys are really giving me the itch to get out there.

Anyone have an opinion between a 2011 BMW F650GS with 800cc vs 2o12 Triumph Tiger? Both have pretty low miles and prices are close enough to not be an issue. I have never owned or rode either so have no idea about whether one is better than the other for what I want to do. Just forest service roads and mild off road.

13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Tiger

ducnut likes this.
  14. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

Thanks. That where I was leaning

15. baconologist

Spoke or cast wheels on the ‘12?

16. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

KTM. It’s been covered in this thread. The answer is always KTM.

cBJr, CowboyRR and Britt like this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The Tiger will eat the BMW for lunch.

If you were anywhere around central IL, I’d let you take my 800XCx for a few days, few weeks, whatever.

baconologist likes this.
  18. baconologist

I’d offer up my XR but it’s getting new shoes and a blood transfusion for a big ride :)

ducnut likes this.
  19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

The Karoo 3 rear I like a lot. It doesn't have a solid across the tire pattern (as mentioned above) its' more of a V configuration. The Pirelli Scorpion Rally rear is straight across. The Scorpion Rally front is my current favorite and the Karoo 3 rear is very good in the summer when the trails are more hard packed. Not a fan of the Karoo 3 front or the Scorpion Rally rear. I've run the MotoZ tractionator HT and it's very good off road for traction, durability is decent enough. I typically get 700-800 miles out of the rear tires, fronts will go longer depending upon how much pavement and pace on the pavement. For reference I typically run 140/80-18 rears on my 950 and 90/90-21 or whatever 21" front size the tread I like comes in.

just got a 500exc and it's got a fatty front (shinko?) and a Metzeler MC360 Mid Hard rear. That's a pretty solid combo for off trail exploring so far but I only have a couple of rides on them.

[​IMG]

Britt likes this.
  20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Tiger.

Cheers,

Dave