1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Yes that was mine, I rode with the fast old guy locals Saturday and Sunday on pavement. Had to use the Honda for that when my Suzuki’s fuel pump decided to go bad late Friday.

I have rode a pretty good bit of area in and around Clayton and all of the area around Suches over the past 20 years.

I am headed to Key West on the Honda the week of Thanksgiving. Not sure I’ll get back up to Suches area this year. I hate cold weather.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

What were you riding? I was up there Sat night. Shoulda brought a better jacket.

3. roy826ex

lol yea it got a little cool Saturday. Good seeing you up there. Sharp bike you were on ;)

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A month chilling in Porticcio summer after 12th grade is one of my best vacation memories anywhere. Camping across the road from the beach.

motion likes this.
  5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I was on my KTM 950 Super Enduro. It's hard to miss, huge white/natural tank (6 gallons but it looks like it's 20), kinda throaty exhaust and looks like it's been thru the wringer a few times...

SESideView.jpg

418 and baconologist like this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Looks really nice, I'll have to check it out. I'm camping as much as possible, so who knows, I might spend the night there.

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Picking up a 2007 DRZ400S with less than 1000miles. Can't wait.

baconologist, Banditracer and ducnut like this.
  8. baconologist

Anyone planning MABDR next year?

9. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Anyone here have the KTM 790R? Considering one after my hiatus of no street riding for the past few years. Figured it be a great all around bike. Commute, off road, Sunday rides with the wife, maybe a long trip here and there etc. Wanted someone’s opinion in the racing world if it was a good bike and/ or a boring bike etc.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Reach out to this guy. He’s very responsive and will give you an honest evaluation.

https://m.facebook.com/TheGearDude/

11. JBowen33

ducnut likes this.
  12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I did it this year. I can help with questions or whatever if you need anything. You DEFINITELY should do it. We had a blast.

baconologist likes this.
  13. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Any CADVR riders here?
    This year was my first. Can't wait for next year. Thus my purchase of a DRZ400S. :)

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

There’s a BMW for sale on advrider that I’d buy in a heartbeat in your position - local as well.

JBowen33 likes this.
  15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Two or three friends have them and I"ve ridden them. Decent enough bike and for what you want to do that might be the ticket. Define a bit more your "off road" needs as that will be the kicker with the 790. Not nearly the motor of the 1290 bikes but much more capable off road and IMHO unless you are doing long trips 2 up, would be fine for the pavement. Any street riding and it's much nicer than my 950 while off road it's probably 80-90% as good and more than capable of most off road conditions (more capable than most riders probably).

Biggest issue is just finding one, as the "R" model was sold out, but pretty sure they are getting easier to find and with the Yamaha T7 coming to the US that will take some pressure off the 790.

much more capable than just about any other twin on the market if you factor in any off road capabilities. If you are leaning more towards street/pavement then any of the BMW, Triumph, and other brands might be a cheaper option. The motor is good and surprising for a 790 parallel twin, but it's nothing compared to the 1290 adventure. If you are thinking dirt roads, maybe look at the bigger bikes. If you are thinking double track or maybe even trails, the 790 would be way more fun than any of the other "adventure" bikes IMHO.

JBowen33 likes this.
  16. roy826ex

I’ve rode the 790 regular street version whatever it’s called and my much heavier Africa Twin will pull ahead on a head to head on pavement. I’m the light factor edge on the AT though :D Nice little street bike though, ain’t gonna scare any naked liter eaters though in the curves or straight line.

JBowen33 likes this.
  17. JBowen33

I think I saw a few gs650s for sale for a good price but they don’t seem as off-road capable as what I want. Still keeping an eye out tho.

18. JBowen33

Off road as rocky ATV trails even some single track. I am near a lot of coal country which has very rocky/ mountain trails. I don’t plan on off roading with any luggage or anything other then maybe lunch. Two up rides will mostly be an hour or so with stints to head out for dinner etc.

I know people are doing/ have done some serious off roading on the full size GS bikes etc but I don’t want to pay the big price tag and more so it’s way to big.

Also most of my off road friends I ride with have 450 enduros which I’ve also considered but I don’t think I’d want to commute on one of those.

19. baconologist

690/701?
    My 701 had stupid power and still comfy for a dirt bike

20. JBowen33

For the price of those I rather spend a little more and get the 790r with the full fairings

baconologist likes this.