1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What are you guys using for throw-over saddle bags on the narrow seats? I'm looking for a set of "weekender sized" bags that will fit on my WR450, but the stuff I have seen is either too expensive (I'm cheaper than Dave K between paydays) or the saddle material between the bags is too long, allowing the bags to hang too low.

2. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Try CL...and if you find a set of bags that are basically what you’re looking for but have too much saddle material between the bags, buy them and take them to a seamstress and have the seamstress fold over the saddle material until it fits on your bike and then sewn up saddle material so it works for your needs.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

2020 Africa Twin comes out in March. All kinds of new; lighter, more power, electronics from the CBR1000RR...
    2020 Honda Africa Twin 1100 Review / Specs + NEW Changes Explained! | CRF1100L
    Lotsa good info, galleries and accessories.

Highlight of feature differences...
    [​IMG]
    Prices:
    - base, $14399
    - base DCT, $15199
    - Adventure, $17199
    - Adventure DCT, $17999

Its predecessor in action. Could put this in the Dirt Bike thread...the guy's good.

roy826ex likes this.
  4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Yep and I’ll have one by this time next year :D

and just imagine how good they become when you upgrade the stock suspension :Poke:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Worth a look:

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Dry-bags-Accessories.html

pscook likes this.
  6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Check out Giant Loop. It is compact, watertight and durable for serious offroad. Access can be an issue if you want to be in and out of the bags often.

If you want more conventional bag arrangement, checkout Mosko.

None of the good stuff is cheap. If you're just doing day trips, no big deal. If you're doing week-long trips or multi-days, spend the $$'s and get good kit.

Cheers,

Dave

baconologist likes this.
  7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

8. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I’ve got enduristan bags on my desert sled , they’ve held up great through multiple fallovers. They’re a soft bag so you can stuff them pretty good .

9. Critter

Critter Registered

Giant Loop makes the best stuff out there https://www.giantloopmoto.com/

https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product-category/saddlebag-systems/

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Check out Tusk Pilot soft bags at Rocky Mountain. I heard about these on the ADV forum and thought there is no way they can be very good for $140. Then people started buying them and posting reviews which were all excellent. So I bought a set Monday, got them Tuesday. I've alway been a big Wolfman guy and these bags are as nice if not better than Wolfman. I'm shocked how nice these are for the price point. These will fit on any rack system. Since I'm weeks away from getting my DR650 I can use them on it or my GSA.

I can't stress how blown away I am at the quality for under $150.

ducnut likes this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Wow, lots more diversity of options than I thought! I figured that there is one brand/make and that's it. Some of these are WELL outside of my price point, but a couple look pretty good. I looked at the Tusk on RMATV and found these:
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/nelson-rigg-dual-sport-saddlebags-p

They look a little more in line with what I'm looking for as they are narrower than the Tusk, and I would rather have narrow bags for maneuverability, plus I have a tail bag for extra crap.

Thanks for the suggestions!

12. Critter

Critter Registered

If you skimp on luggage on a dual sport bike you will be sorry in the long run.....where are you going to put your stuff when the bag breaks or the zipper fucks up.... trust me on this one buy the good stuff, because stuffing your shit from your saddle bag in your pants for 150 miles sucks ass

Stumpy and GarrettRick like this.
  13. rd400racer

I'm weeks away from getting the DR650 that I've been thinking about for the last 6 months. Reading everything i can about them and getting ready to have fun accessorizing it for endless KAT adventures and then disaster strikes. While looking for more examples of the DR I come across an 06 KTM 950SM in great condition for a decent price.

Keep in mind I am no KTM fan. As a matter of fact I basically don't like them (for no particular reason). Yet this bike is calling to me. It just looks so...mean! Someone please chime in and tell me to keep my eye on the prize and forget this damn hooligan machine that will cause no good to my life. Actually, I want somebody to tell me I can use the KTM for 90% of what I was asking of the DR and have 10 times more fun.

Fire away

14. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Way to far apart, only answer is to buy both and that is an easy answer because DR650's are so cheap. Shoot my brother talked about wanting to buy a dual sport for a couple of years, I got sick of hearing it so I just bought him a nice low mile few year old DR650 to shut him up!

Boman Forklift and rd400racer like this.
  15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Duh. Of all people, you know that you shall have both. Sheesh man, don't clutter up the thread.

rd400racer likes this.
  16. rd400racer

Y'all are killing me! I've got a garage full as it is! I'm seriously thinking about this KTM. Guy lives fairly close and ends up I kind of know him. I'm thinking I can throw a set of Conti TKC80's on it and it will be close to a DR on steroids.

[​IMG]

jrsamples likes this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d rather have a 950 Super Enduro.

gt#179 likes this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That looks like losing your license to me. :crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

have your cake and eat it to. find a good 950 Super Enduro and then find a good set of 17" wheels. The rear wheels from any of the 950/990 SD/SMT/SDR will bolt right in, fronts just need a small adapter you can get from CJ designs. Presto, 950 dirt bike and 950 SM. They actually use a lot of the same bodywork, but it's easier to convert the SE into an SM version vs making an SM into an SE.

there's a really nice stock SE in NC right now, and usually 2 or 3 or more on ADV Rider.

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

950 SM's are running 1/2 what an SE is.. I'd love to have both.. but man that SM looks FUN..