1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So anyway, about this coronavirus thing...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 21, 2020.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

One issue on bans and quarantines IMO is that they are still struggling (in news articles) on how and when it is transmitted. For instance if it can be transferred during the 10-14 day incubation period that makes it far harder to contain and more dangerous. Does it transfer via the eyes or resperitory? Understandably there is a lot not known. One thing with the flu is the transmission and effects are fairly well known. Most deaths are to young, old and ill. While no death is a good thing it is easier to protect yourself. For instance Mom stayed completely away from people as much as possible during flu season last year. Further when I felt bad (not the flu) I stayed away and my brother came down and helped her. The flu would have killed her but she avoided it. Much harder to do on this at present. Then add in the fact that China has a history of lying including on medical items.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Most of the deaths from this new virus will be the old, sick, and compromised.
    This one settles deep in your lungs which makes it more dangerous.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So just like the cold I've had for a couple weeks now

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Do they make a quarantine area large enough to fit you in? ;)

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not very secure ones.

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

OK Chinaman, time to become a Bubble Boy.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More like time to stay the hell out of our office. Got sick in December from the boss then this one was Emilys daughter to Emily to both Evelyne and I. If I could just stay home every day it wouldn't have happened :D

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

speeddaddy likes this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They said on the news that 8000 people have been killed and several million have already been infected by the regular run of the mill flu this season in the US already.

I guess that kinda puts things in perspective a bit.

Quicktoy likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This guy is an Irish teacher that lives in Wuhan, he's been posting vids for the last couple of days in Wuhan.

That heartwarming little part @9:50, all I could think of was....

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

13. sheepofblue

So a few things to consider. If the number was only 2 million that is a fatality rate of 0.4% A recent count for Corona is 130/6000 or a rate of 2.1% or five times more deadly. Also the time it has been spreading is short. A lot of bad potential on this. I think the paranoia is justified even if it turns out incorrect. I also would bet the 130 and 6000 number are total hogwash. The supplies to test are in shortage and communists lie so I figure both numbers are higher, likely a lot higher.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm quite sure the #'s coming out of China are likely very underreported. How or if that skews the mortality rate %age though who knows.

sheepofblue likes this.
  15. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Whatever #s are coming out of china, add a zero and then take x2 or three

Quicktoy likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If you try to leave a mandatory quarantine...

can the cdc have you shot?

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Only if you have dirt on the klintons.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Probably just a stern talking to.

20. sheepofblue

I think in many areas you can be forcefully confined. Old laws from the era of stuff like Typhoid and Smallpox.