1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So anyway, about this coronavirus thing...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jan 21, 2020.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So the pandemic everyone fears might be here and might be a weaponized virus that the Chinese let escape.... or not.

Ducti89 likes this.
  2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Who knows what to believe
    China's been demonized quite a bit lately (some legit, some questionable) so who knows if this just isn't another angle
    When you have population densities like they have in their mega-cities it's hard not to believe something like this hasn't happened sooner. Same can be said for any other large city in the world (India, Mexico, etc)

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sounds like BS to me.....they are literally building pop-up hospitals

[​IMG]

sheepofblue likes this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Or digging mass graves...possibly both.

boxcrash, aaronson and Phl218 like this.
  6. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

South China Morning Post had some pretty disturbing videos up earlier, bodies just laying about hospital hallways, as they've been overrun. They're literally putting up concrete walls on the roads... desperate to keep this thing contained. Healthy and young people are now reportedly coughing up blood and dying from this now. While I haven't heard it verified elsewhere, out of Singapore's they announced that almost a quarter of those infected, come down with severe pneumonia.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yep the activity so far exceeds the admitted cases that there has to be at least a magnitude difference. The other possibility that makes any sense is the cases are close but they know what it is because they created it and are terrified.

I only hope those brought back are quarantined for a couple of weeks upon entry here.

8. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Agreed. That Wuhan is also the location of China's Biosafety Level 4 research facility and two reputed military biological research facilities, has been mentioned repeatedly. I would really hope that it's not man-made though, and don't see any reason to come to that conclusion yet though. Unfortunately, they are stating that the virus does spread during it's incubation period... and at least a number of the people we've brought back, we've simply asked them to pink promise to stay home.

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

With the level of response, it sounds like this is actually what they built up SARS and bird flu and the rest to be over the years. Man made? Doubt it. China has a fuckload of people, they have filthy habits and live with a ton of livestock. This was inevitable.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Is the first pic of Chinamen? They're not really known for QC. It's just not a thing out there.

13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

City's been brought to a halt.

sheepofblue likes this.
  14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

See the thing about this that gets me is the seemingly wide variance is just how dangerous this stuff actually is.

Case in point, I was in Yokohama Jan 4-10th. Funny enough I had a bit of a scratchy throat and some mild coughs on the way back and was feeling a bit crappy when I got home, but I just attributed that to the 14 hour flight in economy, dehydration/stale air and jet lag. A day later I was all good, and now 2 weeks removed obviously fine, but it did make me curious to go and look back when the first case presented itself in Japan.

Says here the first documented case was a guy coming back from Wuhan on the 6th, and hospitalized on the 10th....and Kanegawa Prefecture is only about an hour drive from where I was at: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...th/japan-first-coronavirus-case/#.Xi-Rgy2ZMcc

But he was treated, recovered and discharged from the hospital only a couple days later. That doesn't sound like a particularly deadly virus, especially since they can only give you supportive treatment. I'm assuming this is one of those things where its mostly just the very young and the older/immunocompromised that would be most at risk, for most anyone else its just like getting a typical flu....rest, stay hydrated and pump yourself full of vitamins/minerals and antioxidants etc until it runs its course?

16. In Your Corner

Last flu season roughly 61,200 people in the US died from the flu, 0.02% of the population.
    I know people who get it pretty much every time it comes around and they never die either.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

60K in the US alone ehh? I guess that does put it quite a bit of perspective.

18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

But what if China’s numbers are already there and they’re just not telling us. I don’t know. Just a thought.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. In Your Corner

It's tough to say with the Chinese. They seem to be taking it seriously at this point.
    They've put a ban on anything that can bite you back while you're eating it. Maybe.

20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Hong Kong cut off all trains from China. Mongolia just sealed its border. I think the ban is too little too late.