1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowmobiles?

Discussion in 'General' started by burnham, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have never ridden one, are they more fun than a motor sickle?

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

in the snow they are lol

Boman Forklift and Razr like this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

To me, they are the closest thing to a bike in the fun factor category. Gridding up on a race bike probably generates more adrenaline or a buzz. Time in a racing go-kart is a lot of fun also. But there's something about traveling the countryside on a sled. It's being free to go any direction, any trail, any speed you want. Stop any time and take in the view, you're on vacation. Look at the trail map, see a destination 100 miles away, no problem, you can be there in 90 minutes easily (depending on trail and conditions)

But there can be drawbacks. It can be more dangerous than bikes, hopefully if you go off the trail, you hit snow, not a tree. You can get lost, ride with a person that knows the area. Leave the ego at home....it can be a little intimidating riding on a 12' wide tree lined trail doing 80 mph for a newbie. Or coming out of a blind turn at 50 mph and instantly face another sled doing 50....that's 100 mph approaching speed, let an experienced rider lead the group. It can be a huge learning curve for some. One year we brought along a guy we thought would be a great rider. He was Tony Stewart's crew chief in his Beast Midget and Sprint Car. He wouldn't go over 40 mph, and that was on a lake or a straight trail. Our vacation sucked until my brother took one for the team and rode with him at a reduced speed for 3 days, while the rest of us rode on (can't leave a guy behind)

But when the conditions are good, good snow, recently groomed, not too many sleds out, it can be a total blast. Lots of variables, but usually a great time. Plus you're in the wilderness, no dipshits around.

4. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Yes and no. In the right conditions they absolutely are the most fun you'll have dressed. But get stuck in a ditch or deep drift, or run out of snow somewhere, run low on gas in the middle of nowhere and you'll be cursing the damn thing to no end.

I've had a good number of sleds, and they have all been fun in their own way. One was an '02 Yamaha SRX 700. I'm telling you, that 2-stroke 700cc triple, with triple pipes was absolutely amazing. It handled like shit compared to the newer upright seated machines, but that motor was incredible. There were times I went out in the yard and just started it up to hear it run. It would scream like 1000 banshees coming for your soul. And on a frozen lake would stretch your arms a couple inches. Fun times. But I had to work my ass off to keep up with my brother on his SkiDoo REV600. Night and day difference in handling. Kinda like someone on a stretched Hyabusa riding with someone on a KTM 350 exc.

Another fun machine was an old '94 VMax 600 (pogo stick). It also handled like shit, but was light enough to throw around. The track was not studded and basically worn out, so I just pretty much had it sideways everywhere, which was a lot of fun.

It's always been a love-hate thing for me. I've had such fun times on them, crashed them, broken bones with them, spent too much money in a weekend riding them, giggled like a little girl coming out of a corner on a nice groomed/packed trail and just mashing the throttle. I sold a SkiDoo 600 last year and currently don't have one. But I guarantee that bug will bite again and I'll be right back in the ring. Sigh.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

That sounds like fun, last month my wife and I were talking about renting some and trying it. Last November we went out on quads with another couple in Colorado. Beautiful scenery, but honestly quads were very boring for me. Still fun company, and the best thing was seeing how much my wife liked it.

I understand the fun of dirt bikes on single track in the mountains out here, plus the joy of road racing and the thrill of the start.

Also love kart racing, because I can reach the edge and even cross over and it usually doesn’t hurt, unlike a bike where it usually does hurt.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Our riding group, about 20-30 people over the years, have had women riders. My brothers started out in 1980 on 3 new Scorpion sleds. We might go with 8-12 people, but try to ride in 3-5 man groups. To me, 3 is a good number. In the last 15 years, they will go on a yearly "couples" trip, 2-3 couples will go, and the women really like it, Deb can ride really well. There are snowmobile rental/vacation spots all across the country. I guarantee, you and probably your wife will really like it.

Or, find a men's group. We usually talk a newbie into going about every year or two.. We have an extra sled, all the gear, show up have fun. It's cool watching a new guy blabbering on about his new found hobby. It's very addictive.

The only places Ive ever ridden away from home is the UP of Michigan, and the northeast corner of Wisconsin. It's cool to hear and see all the different accents and dress apparel from different locations. I can always spot the Chicago guys!

Banditracer and Boman Forklift like this.
  7. Boman Forklift

[QUOTE="Razr, post: 5662441, member: 17928]

Or, find a men's group. We usually talk a newbie into going about every year or two.. We have an extra sled, all the gear, show up have fun. It's cool watching a new guy blabbering on about his new found hobby. It's very addictive.
    [/QUOTE]

Cool, when we going?

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Bring a buddy and Fly in to the UP next month and you can join our 4 day backpack trip.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Cool, when we going?[/QUOTE]
    Haha....my nephew just texted me about a trip to the UP in 3 weeks. I'll probably be in Cali. maybe we can meet them there!

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Be advised, sleds are one of the rare vehicles that accelerate way faster than they decelerate.... Unless a tree is in the equation.

tony 340 and Razr like this.
  11. tony 340

No better feeling than getting on the ice wide open with a couple buddies in a staggered row.

We went long ways across Lake Gogebic last winter......I'll never forget that.

My next conquest is to ride across from St. Ignace to Mackinac Island

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

How often does that even lock up?

13. tony 340

Every couple years.....you need a good subzero stretch for a few weeks.

The locals stake their old Christmas trees out there to mark it.

Visibility gets bad from the wind whipping the snow up off the ice and there has been more than a few guys that rode into the water and died because they got disoriented.

My buddy that did it said definitely take a compass or GPS because it's like being in a cloud if the wind whips up.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Have they found the five French tourists who disappeared on a frozen lake in Québec last week? Last I heard, they had only found the body of the guide.

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i just drove accross the mac on friday... there will not be an ice bridge this year. open water. warm temps, rain, wind... been an odd winter. with that said, our place north of the soo in ontario is plugging away with over 3 feet of white gold now. probably got close to a foot of fresh since i arrived friday. Ski

zertrider likes this.
  16. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

How far north of the Soo? Really hope to get up that way one day.

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

3 hours north of the soo, small francophone community called Dubreuilville. Ski

18. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Just got back from Calumet / Copper Harbor. Basically no ice at all on Lake Superior. The Copper Harbor was only 1/2 full of ice chunks. Mackinac Island ice bridge is on my radar too.

19. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Ah, home of Luc, the Groomerguy.

Razr and skidooboy like this.
  20. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I have rode from St Ignace to Mac Island 3 times on the ice. It is one of the coolest sites/things I have done on the sled. The island is almost 100% available to ride in on the sleds. Really neat, if i can find my pics ill post some. Another cool trip is to ride out to Drummond Island. A lot of folks trailer out but we have always rode. Pretty decent trail getting there and riding a sled onto the ferry boat in Detour Village is a pretty cool experience.

Razr likes this.