1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowmobiles?

Discussion in 'General' started by burnham, Dec 9, 2019.

1. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I did a search and didn't find much on this.

So a few of my buddies have snowmobiles, and I feel like I'm missing out every time they head north for a weekend. So I need one of these.

I've been looking at a skidoo renegade 850 two stroke, and the 900 turbo.
    I'm also looking at the Yamaha sidewinder turbo.

I'll be able to leave the machine at my friend's place in Maine, and all the riding will be up there or in Canada. I think about all of it will be on trails. I would like something that will last. I'd like to hold onto this snowmobile for a while, and don't want to have the urge to upgrade in a year or two.
    I also want something that's got more power than I need.

Are these good choices? Will a 4 stroke engine last a lot longer than the two stroke? What else should I be looking at?
    Thanks guys.

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

You will buy something else before you wear any of those sleds out. the 850 2 stroke gets my vote.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Make sure it has reverse....

4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

And electric start...

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Since it will be staying at your friend's house, why not ask him what he would enjoy riding?

Kyle Brosius and Banditracer like this.
  6. CRA_Fizzer

And you seriously need to look at how much you are going to ride this thing. New sleds are not cheap. If you have to trailer over an hour just to go riding, that is no fun.
    These things are so dependent on the weather. You can have a year where you might only get to ride for a couple of weekends. And this means EVERYONE will be out, the trails will be pounded to death.

So basically, if you can afford to throw away that money and not get upset about it just sitting in your or you buddy's garage, go for it.

I love to ride. But I just can't justify the expenditure.

t500racer likes this.
  7. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

How about renting one the first couple of times you go to make sure it’s for you. I can’t think of many things that depreciate faster than a snowmobile

8. CRA_Fizzer

This!

Never buy one of these new...

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Seriously, you can pick up a used sled for a fraction of new. Around here you can find nice stuff that's 10 years old for $1 -2000, you're obviously looking at spending alot more but I'd seriously consider used. Buy one from one of the guys that trade every couple years. I bought a 99 Ski Doo 500 Grand Touring 3 years ago with 2200 miles on it for $1000 and the open trailer it was on for another 200.

10. Or borrow one, snowmobiling is not for everyone. It can get brutally cold when temps start getting in single digits and you are doing 50-100mph. I don’t care what gear you have on, it’s cold. Mind you that as long as you keep moving and are not just going straight it’s keeps you a lot warmer but going any more than a couple miles straight sucks in brutal cold. Also look at cost per year of owning it vs the 2-3x a year renting one. You can rent some pretty good sleds in a lot of areas and is usually a lot more cost effective and convenient for a person that goes a couple/ few times a year. Plus buy GOOD gear.

R/T Performance likes this.
  11. I’d never buy a new sled, ever. There are so many with barely any time on them that someone bought and they’ve been used a handful of times. Usually some wealthy person wirh a place up north that wasn’t as hardcore as he thought.

CRA_Fizzer and Banditracer like this.
  12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard of a person that rode a snowmobile and didn't like it. They are the funnest thing you will ever ride. My wife wants to retire in Texas, I want a winter home where there's snow!

zertrider likes this.
  13. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I was pretty much anti snowmobile...until I got on one and went for a rip. Holy shit, I’ve never looked back. I feel stupid for how long I was telling people who the hell wants to rip thru the woods in winter.

I rented for a year just to be sure I was going to like it. Then I bought a used 2001 600 from my fire capt. It was well maintained and cost me $1k. I put about 1000 miles on it last year. I’ll ride it this year then look for something a little more modern.

I second the rent it motion, then buy used if you like it. Also, good gear is mandatory. I ride in the UP of Michigan and it’s often -10 F when I’m out. Good breathable gear with layers below and I’m comfy. Expect to drop close to a grand for gear and a helmet if you get into it. As for sleds, I’d look for a 136-ish track which can help take some of the whoops out when the trails get beat on plus gives you a bit more traction / floatation if you do minor off trail excursions. That’s my $.02.

You’ll have a blast

14. CRA_Fizzer

And if you ride in the UP, go during the week. :)

R/T Performance likes this.
  15. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

For sure - the best time to go. Too bad this work thing and a 4.5 hour drive gets in the way of weekday riding up there. :oops:

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be wonderful to live right along a trail.

Sprinky likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

OP, do this. Leave the snow and cold of MA and go rent a KTM from Highland Park Resort in GA this winter! More fun and a great weekend for you. Just saying...

MGM likes this.
  18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I do and now that I am retired I will be getting a cheap used sled. Probably 2.

Razr likes this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The US 27 snowmobile trail is right behind my garage, but I'm not a snowmobile fan.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What, Pirelli doesn't make tracks? :D