1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowmobiles?

Discussion in 'General' started by burnham, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I spend most of my free time in the U.P. surrounded by national forest land that's open to backcountry exploration with a really good trail system. I get the landowner issues, noise issues, etc. I have spent most of my adult life chasing grouse in these woods so I keep updated maps / gps of public vs private land.

In all reality I'm limited to trails with my old 600 121", and I'd like to get out and explore the areas that I spend all fall bird hunting, which will be mainly limited to two tracks. That's why I'm really kind of looking at the crossover sleds. I'm into my 40's I don't need to turn gasoline into extra noise just for the hell of it anymore. I'd be most likely 70% trail (to get to the open woods) / 29% two track (just exploring) / 1% off trail woods (because why not). A jack of all trades master of none is just about what I need. The wife has me on a budget so new is out of the question. Just like bikes I'll probably buy and sell (and regret) and bunch of sleds. As always, this place rocks with it's wealth of knowledge. Braaaaaapp on!

ducnut likes this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of doing some off trail exploring with my vmax last year, and instantly regretted it :) lol. I can see how it would be pretty fun on a proper sled though. Around here it's just all trails and lake running aside from my own back 40. And towing the kids around on Gt's never gets old.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Any of my off trail stuff is if we get enough snow to be able to ride from home across the fields. Other than that it's a half hour drive to the Adirondacks and groomed stuff from there. Jealous of you guys that need a powder / mountain sled.

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You don’t get lake-effect?

5. Banditracer

No, I'm a little too far north, 40 - 50 miles south of me is where it usually starts. We haven't had good snow here in 20 years, it sucks.

ducnut likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That REALLY sucks. What’s the point of freezing your ass off 1/2 the year, when you don’t get anything good from it?

That’s what central IL has become, as well. We don’t have the duration or quite the extreme cold you get, but, we don’t get much snow, either. Hardly anyone owns sleds anymore, as we’ve gotta get up into northern WI for anything worthy. And, people just aren’t willing to drive the 7hrs up there. In fact, many are just planning longer trips and heading out west.

Up until the late 70’s, we used to get a lot of snow and everyone had sleds and at least one 4X4. Not anymore.

7. Banditracer

Same here, when I was in high school, graduated in 80, we'd be able to start riding in early Dec. most years and it stayed. We'd ride almost every night, get done barn chores, go in and eat supper then jump on the sleds. Unless it was real cold and mom wouldn't let us. :(
    Now if we get a good storm it warms up or rains within a week and it's gone. :mad:

R/T Performance and ducnut like this.
  8. Sprinky

8EFF5FC8-933B-4A9A-976D-C017E252FFC2.jpeg D393DB70-9751-4723-9EC2-4A1C0A2F6C30.jpeg
    So I ended up picking up a 2008 Polaris 700 Switchback Dragon. Engine rebuilt, front suspension upgraded to newer version with Walker Evans, rear suspension worked over by Walker Evans. Track is picked. $2700.

I was able to get one day in before New Years in the UP before the rain started up there. Put in about 225 trail miles. What a difference compared to the old XCSP 600. Handled the whooped up trails with no problem. I stayed on trail since there was so much water and unfrozen ground below the snow plus I was riding solo.

ducnut likes this.
  9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Studs

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My nephew has that exact sled, has't had any problems with it. He's put over 10k miles on it. It's still completely stock.

Sprinky likes this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's me :crackup:

12. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Just got home from the U.P. Kind of a bust for me. Got 35miles on Sunday after we arrived at 4pm. Next morning got 5 miles in and engine broke. Rented a sled for the next couple days, but just not as fun riding a 900cc 4stroke vs my own 800cc 2stroke. She is at the dealer now for warranty repair.

13. Sprinky

That sucks. Heading up to Calumet on Thursday for a long weekend. The snowcast is looking good

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have a 4 day backpack trip in the UP starting last week of February.

Our 4th guy bailed and we are looking for a replacement.

PM me if any of you are interested.

Munising-baraga-copper harbor-michigamme-munising

Starting at Buckhorn resort and leaving trucks there. I always rent from the place right down the road.

15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully will be doing another couple of rides soon, but they will be on this side of the border this time. With any luck, the snow we are getting right now will stick around and I can ride from home to the trail. They are only half a mile away.

16. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

That sounds like a great trip. I’ve been to all those places, lots of snow. If you are in Copper Harbor is suggest going just a few more miles east to the end of High Rock Bay and the missle launch pad. Cool spot.

tony 340 likes this.
  17. Banditracer

We haven't got enough to really ride on. I just got mine out and rode around the field a couple times then pulled it into the shop. Been slowly creeping down on the jetting, thing was stupidly rich from the factory, going to drop another size on the pilots, getting it close.

18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just started snowing here, supposed to get 8" from now till sunday. Sled is ready to go, just need snow.

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

We were suppose to get 3-5, then it was 1-3, actually got less than an inch, some freezing rain and now straight rain.

20. Banditracer

That's usually what happens here. :mad: