1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowmageddon 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jan 5, 2017.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I grew up there. Plenty of good riding to be found.

2. No one in the South has winter tires. No one. On top of that, they all use the standard Southern Automatic Transmission Driving Technique - mash the gas until you're going too fast, then mash the brake until you're going too slow; repeat endlessly until you crash. But everyone thinks that worn-out all-season tires on FWD/4WD/AWD will let them drive like this on ice.

BTW let me know when you're coming. I can give you some suggestions for regional events to visit. The Germans definitely like to celebrate!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Oh heck yeah. My buddy owns the property on Lake Louise on the hwy 17 side, I made a nice little track there, not too long but if you set it up to do lap times it's fun and 5min from home. Oakey is very close which is a great place as it has a big mix of stuff. Few other buddies have some great property to ride on as well.

Where did you grow up? I live on Oak Creek Cir, moving to the lake soon.

4. I have my MT's mounted to the Jeep with 33psi in them. A bit of traction but enough air in them to do good 4WD donuts. The SUV 4wd drivers are the worst. It's like liquid courage in snow.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Saw -14 on the way in to work this morning. Wish we could get some snow.

6. During the last "big" snow in Nashville (last January, I think it was) I had winter tires mounted on a 420hp RWD car. Got out, yelled at the idiots stuck in the snow blocking the on-ramp to Briley Parkway, then went around them on the snow-covered shoulder, after they all told me I'd never make it. It felt good :)

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just a couple few years ago ATL didn't pay attention to forecasts and wound up with a storm at rush hour, icy roads, and traffic stuck to the point of people having to abandon their cars. This was after a few years of nothing happening. Given the lack of this type of stuff here it's better ot overreact than under.

Yeah icy is normal when it freezes - go take a look back at the last moth and all of the wrecks up north where people are supposedly great drivers in bad conditions when they all had their first icy conditions of the year. We don't get the 40-100 car pileups even if people can't drive.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When we had the really bad one a while back I was out in the jeep playing around. Roads were all sheets of ice - in the travel lanes. The emergency lane on the interstate was a nice rough area of snow/ice - lots of traction as I drive around everyone :D

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's like the local media warning us 8 days in advance of the upcoming storm, then have the weather advisory ticker on our TV screen for 3 days before the storm is supposed to get here. Then when it doesn't show up, get in their SUVs and drive around looking for snow!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The 80 or 90 days of nothing but sun was hilarious here with all of the "storm" trackers and their sponsored storm vehicles looking for anything remotely weather related to talk about :D

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

They cancelled school yesterday for the city and county schools here (southern IN.) It's ridiculous. Growing up in Northern IN, you just had to actually put your winter coat on instead of the barn jacket.

12. The ice down here is no joke at all.

13. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Not saying the North has good drivers, just saying we don't puss out and close everything at the threat of snow. The reason there is a 50 car pile up is because we aren't cowering in our basements eating french toast.

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah but snow and ICE are two different things... Especially with busses and kids...

15. Crybaby™

Originally, planning mid-Septemeber to hit "October"fest activities, but the GF said the weather when she went a few years back wasn't all that nice. Looking at mid-August now. Not sure weather will be much better, but might be warmer. Looking to start in Paris and make our way around Europe for a couple weeks. Originally traveling by trains, but maybe rental cars as it looks like it might only be $20-30/day. Especially if I can get one of these

We are looking for sechs. That'll do Audrey

[​IMG]

Also, are there snails/slugs all over the ground in that area that make walking/driving interesting?

Potts N Pans likes this.
  16. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

You guys still ok down there in Atl? Any cars on fire yet? 285 shut down yet? Jus wondering. figure it won't be long (lol)

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I saw -13. Kitz said it was -17 at his place.

And why would you want snow? Then you'll have to plow the ice track. ;)

18. Crybaby™

Back in my day we walked to school in 5 feet of snow.... uphill..... both ways

Considering when they close schools up here you'd think all of our teachers and admins were from Georgia too. Seems like the closing decision has to do more with how many extra teaching days they have than with the weather. I kid you not, early in the winter they close them for a dusting, by the end, when they realize another day off means they will extend the school year in June, they'll have school with a foot of more of snow falling. BTW Schools are the only ones that act like the south around here. Everyone else just has to deal with it

BigBird likes this.
  19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I like snow in the winter. If it snowed a few inches every few days, that would be perfect.
    Ice track? I haven't done that in 10 years.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Chad, you should fear the snow. You're so white that you'd completely disappear from sight in a snow storm and might get hit by a snow plow.