1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slicks for big bike

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisarillo, Feb 17, 2002.

1. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

That could be said about every person that doesn't finish first. This statement would be in regards to the tires I used to run that would spin in every corner. Nothing says confidence like a highside.

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I recall telling MichelinJason last year at Roebling how John was talking crap about the Michelins. This was a couple of weeks after he switched off of the Bridgestones. I am not a liar, I told Jason to watch his back because this two-face BS is going on...that's a fact jack, not smack...now he wants to try to new 'stones...anybody else see a trend?

ps - there are only 3 tire brands at most of our races...piss off those guys and you'll have a hard time getting what you need. Talk manure to one about the other and I'll just bet they'll share a laugh about you over a beer in the evening. They are a close knit group. Who helped Stick rebuild his axle last week?...uh, that would be Greg the Pirelli man.

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i wonder, if we had blindfolds over our eyes when we got on the bike. then, we took them off and rode. what tires would we like then? who on this bbs can really tell a difference? opie? josh? that's about it. nicky hayden shows up at talladega on ching shens and would smoke all of us.

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

BTW i got ching shen sponsorship. they gave me one set of tires and told me they would last the whole season!! [​IMG]

5. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Hey Stick, I'm still a Team Bridgestone Rider till my contract is up. Karl has been raving about the new shit and can't wait to try them. [​IMG]

6. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Dude!!!!! I use to work at Tucker-Rocky warehouse here in the ATL. I hated those days when I had to unload a whole container of them things. I bet there was enough rubber dust laying in the trailer to make at least one more tire out of. [​IMG]

7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Define 'good deal'.
    I'll run anything for a good enough deal.. [​IMG]

Buck

8. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Even at full price the 'stones are cheaper than the rest unless you do one of their(Dunlop, Michelin...) "10 sets" deal.

9. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

I really hope you are kidding, man! I never said anything bad about Michelins or Jason and Buff. I consider them friends of mine. They gave me good service as well.
    WTF people? I can't try a few brands of tires and decide which one to go with being a new racer last year? I have not spoken badly about any tire or tire service person and will gladly go to each of them and apologize for anything that someone took out of context. If someone asks me for feedback on what my experience with a certain tire was, I will tell them. Otherwise they can figure it out for themselves, like I did. Joe, e-mail me off line and let's talk about this fabled conversation you and I had that you went to Jason with, rather than assasinating my character here on the BBS. Better than that, call me on my cellphone 404-822-4826. I have always liked both of those guys and really liked their tires.

My only beef with michelins, as it is with alot of people, are that they are too expensive for me. Jason knows this and so does Buff.

You guys are making me out to be a tire whore and that is not the case. I found what I am happy with and have stayed there since. BTW, how am I pissing off different tire makers at the track? As far as I knew, I am square with Jason and Buff, Derrick, and Moose. I try to buy stuff from all of those guys. If any one of these guys wants to e-mail me offline, or for that matter, get on the BBS and publicly talk about how they feel with regard to my dealings with them, I will welcome it and straighten anything out that needs to be straigtened out with them. Dammit this BBS pisses me off sometimes. This is BS!!!! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by UGA Dawg (edited 02-19-2002).]

10. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Karl isn't the only Morrow that has had great success on stones. [​IMG] I've run them for 6 yrs on my rz and have won a few races on them. If you have an 18" rear, they are the ONLY choice!! I have to agree w/ johns earlier point that they aren't the best for max lean type riders. I always pick the bike up early and never have had problems w/ grip, but when I do get beat, it's usually by someone thats carrying a pinch more speed mid corner.(more lean angle) One area that I think the stones excell in is feedback. I'm not too big on sliding my bike around, but when I do, the stones always let go w/ a minor slip/grip/slip/grip wich makes it easy to recover from overriding. I've never ridden a "big" bike w/ stones, but it seems that they suit smaller bikes far better. (125's love em!!) Back in '98 I ran a michelin front when jb didn't have any tires and thought it gave me a little more confidence in the front.(lasted longer too) They don't make acompetitive 18"rear though and the increased confidence wasn't worth trashing bridgestones excellent(at the time) contingency program.
    Last year, I raced endurance w/ several teams on all sorts of bikes; sv, tt600, gsxr750 and an r1. All of them were on metz/pirr and I have to say that they are a cut above the stones. We won the lightwieght class at the summit 6hr using 1 set of metz/pirr slicks and there was still plenty of tread left on the tires at the end of the race. On the r1, (160+hp)I ran a 93min. stint on the dot's and only started to get some slides out of the rear on the last 5 laps.
    Derek, do the new stones come in 18" size? I'd be curious to try them on Ricks rz sometime just to see if I can notice a difference.
    In closing, I have to say that although most of us on the bbs aren't really good enough to quantatatively say one tire is better than the other, whatever tire FEELS best to you and fits in your budget, is the best tire to use. ALL of the trackside vendors are great people and they all sell a great product.

P.S. BTW, IMHO, Bridgestone makes the BEST rains!!! [​IMG]

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

1. As I stated using my real name, I am not a liar.

2. I told Jason what I read in your posts on here about Michelins and cautioned him to watch his back. The "Fabled conversation" occurred on about the 5th race of the day when they were camped over by T5 and we were watching Max rail around chasing Gio.

3. I am not a liar. I have been forthright in my disclosure. You know me, I am no troll lurking around to bash you, but at that time I was doing what I felt best for someone who had taken care of me.

4. This is also why I asked Mongo about the Username search not working yesterday. I wanted to pull up your old posts that I did not agree with, let you read your own words, and not get into a pissing match with you about he said/she said.

5. You stated in this thread that the Bridgestones were squirrelly, yet later post that you've never said anything derogatory about them...?
    I will find the old posts when I have time, but in the mean time, don't even start "calling me a liar" or "inferring", or alluding to" or any other lame crap. I told Jason what I had read because I knew that he didn't browse around here and would probably not be exposed to it.

12. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

First of all, I have never had a beef with you, Joe. I don't understand why this couldn't be handled in e-mail. Did I do something to piss you off or something? WTF is the deal here? I also never called you a liar. You must have me confused with someone else. I spoke with both Jason and Buff today and they have no recollection of this conversation. Nor do they give a crap.

About the bridgestones, they were squirley for ME on the old tires! What about that do you not understand, Joe? You forgot to quote the part where I said they worked fine for riders of different riding styles, like Karl. Mark Morrow even agrees that the old ones do not suit "leaning" riders. Hence the revamp in technology. Talked to Special Ed today and he stated that the new ones were awesome.

Secondly, I just searched under my old user name, Duke Boy, and under my present user name and found that I had nothing but good things to say about michelins and Buff and Jason in my entire history here on the BBS. I am not liar nor a basher of service providers. You must have me confused with someone else, Joe. Search it, you'll see. You need to get your facts straight before you bash someone here on the BBS.I am also showing my real name, friend.

------------------
    "GasTard" In More Ways Than One-
    PMF Racing
    John W. Walters #21 Expert Rookie Black SV
    http://home.mindspring.com/~jwwalters/index.html

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, again, it's John who's been misunderstood, poor poor John...no one has ever seen you walking around the pit pitching a fit about your tires, or the other riders in your session, I mean you having a very calm air about you. Maybe it was when I was standing in the endurance pit (at Talladega next to the bulding on the left side between the concrete barrier & the fence) and you told me, then another, then somebody else about how your front tire wasn't good. You handed it to me, and pushed in your fingernail and told me to look at it, "that is what they call a soft compound, just look at it"....yeah, never happened...oh yeah, and sometimes I just make things up to make you look bad to Jason?....yeah, keep making excuses and denying it. It won't change the truth.

I came clean about talking behind your back to inform you of the reality that people around here have interest in protecting each other.

14. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Yeah, that's right. <Putty voice> I am highstrung at the track. I am a competive person and always will be.

Joe, this conversation is over. And, I am well aware of people protecting each other. I do it too. You can believe what you want to believe. The fact of the matter is that what you have stated here is unsubstantiated bullshit and you have no proof whatsoever that I ever said/posted any of these things. My girlfriend knows me as well as anybody and she knows that I have never said a bad word about Jason's tires. She was taken aback by this as well. Her question was,"why would he say that? You like Michelins." For you to bring it out into a public forum is totally a mystery to me. The only time I saw you in my pits that day at Tally is when you filmed me crashing. And that was before the first round at Road A in July. You been carrying this crap around in you for that long?

I don't give a crap if you come clean to me about talking about me behind my back or not. Talk away, pal. I was not put on this earth to be liked by everyone. But you had better be able to back it up. I always thought that I would never find someone at the track that I didn't like because of the comaraderie that happens there. Looks like I was wrong. I will not waste another moments breath on defending myself to you.

The bottom line here is that I couldn't care less what you think and what your opinion of me is. Both Jason and Buff know where I stand with them and that's what is important to me. You can badmouth me all you want and it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

------------------
    "GasTard" In More Ways Than One-
    PMF Racing
    John W. Walters #21 Expert Rookie Black SV
    http://home.mindspring.com/~jwwalters/index.html

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

at this time i would like to invite everybody into a group hug.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, you can feel the love on this thread. At least I haven't raced yet this year. What's these guys' excuse? [​IMG]

17. rob600rider

rob600rider THE MAN

ok... so what about those cheng-shins now?

18. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I'm thinking about running cheng-shins on my rd. I run em on my streetbike and they seem to work great. Only $175/set, how can I go wrong? Front looks just like a metz laser, lasts a lot longer than the avons. Hmmmmmm...

19. werase643

werase643 Well-Known Member

scary thing is....you probably would win on them.

20. mad brad

mad brad Guest

damn!! it's icier in here than on the confiscated thread. quick mongo, get in here and put this fire out!!