1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slicks for big bike

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisarillo, Feb 17, 2002.

1. chrisarillo

chrisarillo Well-Known Member

I plan on running a big bore bike on slicks this year and am wondering who makes the good stuff that club racers can buy. I used Metzellerellis (DOTS) all last year and have never bought a slick. My understanding is that Pi/Metz slicks are their DOTs without tread. Are Dunlops or Michelins any different?

2. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Dunlop and Michelin have a huge array of slicks available.

Temperature range, traction characteristics, tire life, sensitivity to heat cycles, carcass, profile, etc.

We had a bunch of problems with Dunlops (other people have not, that is great for them) with tire failures, tires out of round and other quality control problems so we switched to Michelin.

Michelin has everything you could possibly want but you have to be willing to do a little testing. Walt will be able to save you a lot of time if you can accurately describe what you are riding, where, and the conditions.

IMHO, YMMV, FWIW etc etc...

sam
    AOD

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Bridgestone!!!!!! Because they will be the winning tire of Moto GP this year!!!

[This message has been edited by Tracee Polcin (edited 02-18-2002).]

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

ATTENTION!! This is an unsubstantiated claim, and is slanderous in nature.

5. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Uh right.

Check with Leaning Lizards and/or Clinton Cycles for the word on the Bridgestones.

I think Jim actually thanked Bridgstone for sponsoring our competition one year.

Sam

6. Tracee Polcin

Whatever guys. [​IMG] When was the last time anyone of you actually gave them a fair shot?

7. WFF

WFF Well-Known Member

=====>The last time I decided to flat-track the entire roadrace course. [​IMG]

8. Tracee Polcin

Better check your settings then. [​IMG]

9. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

I tried them midseason last year for about 6 races and consistently went backwards. Definetly no offense to who was providing those tires. Great service and always willing to help. However, the feedback I got from the tires was a relatively squirly front end and the rear wouldn't hook up under big lean angles. I spent those 6 races frustrated and in fourth place (6 4ths in a row) with 10 seconds in front of me and 10 seconds behind me, with heart starts every lap. They weren't very confidense inspiring. I even gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe my bike wasn't set up properly for those tires. I spent an entire track day "tuning" and the best I could do at tally was a mid 1:06. I changed tires, the last session of the day after running Bridgestones all day and ran a 1:05 on a beat up set of Michelins. Which, funny, subsequently tossed me on my head. Not the tire's fault, mine for trying to push it on old tires.

Some people have a great experience running them though. Karl Morrow loves em. Mine and his riding styles are completely different though. I lean the bike more and hang off a little and Karl Hangs off more and keeps the bike more upright. I think that his riding style in more suited to the Bridgestones.

10. Tracee Polcin

So how many times did Karl beat you last year on Bridgestones UGADawg?

11. Tracee Polcin

Better yet Dawg, how many times did you beat him. Since that should be easier for you to remember. [​IMG]

12. mad brad

mad brad Guest

[This message has been edited by brad wilson (edited 02-18-2002).]

13. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Mr. Polcin,
    Karl is an extremely talented rider whom I have learned alot from and I won't succumb to your shit stirring tactics, sir. [​IMG] Yes, Karl beat me many times last year considering it was my first roadracing season. I would hope that a seasoned rider like Mr. Morrow would beat the pants off me with me being a newbie and all. He was the rabbit I chased all year and I caught him at the end of the year. Not that I had his number or anything, but we had some good battles at the end of the year. I can honestly tell you that it wasn't because of his tires. He was just a better rider than me almost all season. I just got to where I could hold a candle to him late in the year after learning from him all season. In a pinch or tough race on the right bike he would still probably come out on top, now, because of experiences that I have yet to uncover. He schooled me at Road A in D-super on the last lap at the GNF for a podium spot. How's that for a polical response, Mr. Buttface? [​IMG]

Secondary to that, when are you gonna come out and play? I can't wait to beat the pants off you, "Mr. I'm Not Racing Anymore but Still Have the Balls to Call Someone Out on the Carpet" [​IMG] Hee hee!

Game, Set and Match goes to Mr. Walters. [​IMG]

------------------
    "GasTard" In More Ways Than One-
    PMF Racing
    John W. Walters #21 Expert Rookie Black SV
    http://home.mindspring.com/~jwwalters/index.html

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

Well go on then, what do you have to say sir?

15. Tracee Polcin

Karl a seasoned rider? [​IMG] That was only his second season. He was taken out in his first season and had to chill. But I taught him very well. Ever notice how he passes with such ease? Just ask him who taught him that. Blah,blah,......

You'll get your chance to get spanked this year, don't worry. And don't come crying to me when I pelt your helmet with rubber. [​IMG]

16. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

UGA Dawg is my hero.

Buck

17. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Who me? Well, the way I see it, the only claim that can be made here is that I had a bad experience on Bridgestones which is an accurate representation of my feelings at that time regarding those tires. By implying that Mr. Morrow had a good experience, I have committed an act of treachery and will rescind my statement immediately. It is based on hearsay from Mr. Morrow and cannot be used in a court of law. However, I am sure that Mr. Morrow would testify on my behalf that he indeed did have a good year on the Bridgestones.

How ya like that? I guess I better simmah down now cuz the WERABBSIFL (big brother) is watching. [​IMG]

18. rob600rider

rob600rider THE MAN

DAMN Tracee! it would have taken me all day tothink of a reply that good in such short notice [​IMG]

19. rob600rider

rob600rider THE MAN

Like my man B.Bos!

20. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Sam,
    Have you had any experience with Pirelli/Metzeler and if so, what sort of opinion do you have on them? Also, what compound Michelin are you typically using?

I think I may have asked the 'how much for a bag of groceries?' question... [​IMG]

Buck