1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sepang, Malaysia | MotoGP 2015 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Oct 22, 2015.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

We're going to have to assess 6 penalty points against your license, requiring you to perform stop and go penalties every lap for the next 17 races, for your failure to take a decisive line and spearfish a competitor who done disrespected your territory. Bitch.

:D

2. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

3. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Valentino Rossi's twitter post 45 mins ago:

"Thank you for all the great support, reading your comments helped me to overcome the hard times. From today we are working for Valencia."

Guess that one dispels the retirement rumors :rolleyes:

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:
    Ya, imagine that.

5. condon66

condon66 Member well known

RD may have seen it that way had Rossi not looked at MM more than once in order to manipulate his position. He made it soooo plainly obvious. Couple that with the manipulatee going down...... I know position manipulation happens every race and all through the field, but, the way this one was carried out....eeehhhhh.....just not quite the same.

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Countless, I am sure.

I believe the root issue here is being missed. Read/listen to what Rossi said.

The penalty did not come about because MM had to alter his line. The penalty issue was a result of pilot deliberately altering the racing line of another racing leading to an incident.

This issue is not about MM. It is about Rossi clearly (as he himself revealed) taking action to annoy another rider resulting in contact.

Yes, yes. We know. MM made first contact but it was Rossi that initiate the contact. Words have meaning as do actions have consequence.

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am sure someone has altered you line before. :Poke:
    :D

8. condon66

condon66 Member well known

To my dismay, I'm afraid, yes.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Here's where your steadfast opinion is meeting the brick wall.

Yes. Rossi was running Marquez out to the edge of the track. Boo-hoo.

Marquez has three options: continue the run around the outside trying to pass on an ever-narrowing section of track; back off and let Rossi get by then take an inside line; torpedo into the side of 46.

What would *you* have chosen?

No.

Words have meaning, and Rossi's action may have spurned the action by Marquez, but it was Marquez' *choice* to perform the action *he* did.

10. VIR North Course, Turn 14. Braking for the downhill right, I left a bit too much room on my right (just like Marquez did). A competitor came next to me and pulled slightly in front of me, blocking my line (just like Rossi did). At that point I was committed, so the only other option was to run wide and launch off the top of the hill into the ravine below. Instead, I turned with him (just like Marquez tried to do), leaning on him all the way down the hill.

The big difference is that he was turning, not drifting wide, so we were both going in the same direction. If he had been drifting wide, one or both of us would have crashed. It would have been a racing incident.

And yeah, it was annoying as hell, but (like Marquez) I left the door open. My fault.

Edit: I see others have responded with similar stories. Hawk, I think you're done here :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  11. Chango

Chango Something clever!

If Márquez hadn't crashed, I suspect both of them would have gotten a stern talk from race direction, and Márquez may have gotten a penalty point for riding like a dick, and Rossi may have gotten one for purposely showing him the edge of the track, nothing more. I remember both of them making some questionable passes before "the incident," though Márquez made more then Rossi did. Granted, I've only watched the race once.

12. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I'm curious as to what your reaction would be if said rider confronted you afterward and told you he was intentionally pushing you wide because he didn't like you. Would you still consider that a racing incident?

13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Bah, I doubt it. Guy own 30 pages of this discussion just by himself. I'm surprised his fingers aren't worn little nubs from frantically punching at the keyboard for the last 3 days straight.

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

But isn't that exactly what Marquez was doing to Rossi prior to the incident? Slowing down in the corners to force him to slow thus annoying him? Rossi just didn't turn into Marquez at any point.

So if Rossi would not have said that he intended to hold Marquez up your argument would be invalid because they were both essentially doing the same thing to each other? And Marquez by your own admission did it first.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Of course Rossi ran out wide on purpose.
    Of course Rossi did it to disrupt MM.
    Never said he didn't.

Rossi still maintained position and had the line in the corner. How MM chose to react to this helped develop to the end results.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

C'mob guys, pick it up here.......we should've been at 100 pages by now.

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

To the question, the answer is clear, self-preservation: Option 1.

I have to go to work on Monday. :D

My steadfast opinion is rooted in actual analysis. It appears to be an opinion that is shared by Race Direction.

The key here continues to be, not the options available to MM but how we arrived at those options. It is that determination that has resulted in point assessment (penalty).

There is no dispute that MM made first contact.

That response (deliberately) came about Rossi's deliberate action to annoy. But don't take my words for it. :D

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Right? On break right now but conference reconvenes in 7 minutes!!

19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Marqueth reminds me of a soccer player. Purposely runs into someone else and falls down just to draw a card. And it did. And his Dad is a complete fecking soccer Dad (Kart dad?)

20. Yes. When racing, none of the others on the track were my friends :Poke:

I recall one race at CMP where I intentionally held up my off-track friend Ennis in every corner, just so I could finish in front of him (for once). Screw you guys and the bikes you rode in on :p