1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Motorhomes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Socal thanks for the input. That is some great information. :beer:

2. socal

socal Well-Known Member

3. :crackup:

And you know im driving. Always. I am the awesomer driver between the two of us. :D

4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Now this is an example of first world problems :)

Super pursuit mode engaged

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  6. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Should read Queen size residential mattress is larger than a queen size RV size mattress...

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Not always the case. Depends on model and manufacturer of coach.

8. zertrider

Do not lump all class A coaches under the same umbrella.

Personally, I would never own anything built by Forest River, as all their stuff cuts corners in ways most people never see. Same with Damon and a lot of Thor products.

You would never find spray foam on a Winnebago built coach.

9. zertrider

Another thing to keep in mind is that a class A motorhome has more living space in the same length as a super C. The front seats swivel and become part of the living room, and you are not losing 8 ft to the hood. And the view out the windshield is so much better if you have passengers on a Class A. And with what you are looking to tow, the 15,000lb hitch capacity on anything with a tag axle should be more than enough.

Another thing about a standard motorhome is that there is much more market for them when you go to sell it again. Not that many people around that want to have 40,000lb towing capacity, but tons of people want a place to take south with them.

10. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Things like this remind me how poor I am. The asking price of this eclipses my home purchase price, both cars and my bikes combined :eek:

11. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

12. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have residential mattress in my and it is across, bed is on slide out.
    All other points are good, I would add to get biggest hp motor you can get if going class A.
    My is 38' with Cat 330 and I wish motor was bigger even tough it does fine for my use. I do go over Sierra all the time so bigger would help.
    Best part of motorhome for me is multi use. One weekend I will tow trailer with bikes, next one trailer with car, or nothing and just go camping with wife and dogs.
    Texas has good prices on motorhomes. Friend and me just went down couple weeks ago to pick up his rig. Long drive but saved about $10k compared what was available locally.

13. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I have been looking at that one.
    I currently tow my racing (cars) rig with a vnl780 but the thought of having this, and not having to share the volvo with the other ranch duties that it performs is very tempting.

would like a different engine transmission combo though.

14. TWF2

Aren't all truck/mh tires rated to 75 max?

15. zertrider

Other things to put on the want list when checking out motor homes.
    Fibreglass roof. Rubber is a much bigger pain in the ass and is harder to repair and keep clean.
    Go with at least an ISC cummins if going with a 40+ft coach and planning to tow. And no you do not need 500hp to tow. I know a NHRA Alcohol funny car guy who tows his race trailer with a 40ft coach with a 400hp 8.9L cummins ISL with no problem. And that is a stacker trailer filled to the gills. And he has been really happy with it.
    Go with an Onan generator. Much easier to find service centres than the alternatives.
    As mentioned earlier, look at tire age if going used. They age out long before they wear out.
    And never worry about engine longevity on an RV. In 14 years, I have yet to see one with more than 150,000 miles on it, and that was because the guy drove to about 11 Nascar races a year, from Ontario to all over the US. And that was a gas Ford V10 with nothing done but regular service.

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

yup.

i know all the 'stones that we on our trucks are rated to 75

17. zertrider

18. TWF2

I just bought 6 new Sumitomo's for my. Good tire at good price. Had highest load rating for that size as well.

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

on yours, they all take the same tires, right?

I think our trucks have different steer and drive tires, I think we also use different tires on the trailers/haulers.

20. TWF2

I use all position so they are all same.