1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Motorhomes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Tired of the toy hauler and I need a motorhome. Mostly because I want a bigger garage, which means I need a separate trailer. I already know I want a Class A Diesel Pusher with at least 3 Slides.

There are some features that I know I want like a Dishwasher, full size (house style) refridgerator, automatic Leveling Jacks, 2-3 A/C units, 3 TV's inside and an outside TV.

What else should I look for? What should I avoid? Any particular brands I should stay away from? Got any "lessons learned" to pass on? I don't want to buy one, then 3 months later be like "I wish it had ____" or "this piece of shit won't even _____".

How long can I go (total length, RV+Trailer) before I need some type of special license or have issues otherwise?

I don't want one that is really big. The biggest I want to go is 38', maybe 40', because I want at least a 16' trailer. I don't want to get a 45' RV and then only be able to get a 10-12' trailer because that would be defeating the purpose; my garage is 10' now.

2. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Our funmover is about 37' long and we tow a 30' stacker trailer. The one piece of advice that I learned when my folks were shopping for our second camper while I was growing up was to buy the biggest thing you can afford. It may be a pain to get there, but the extra space was worth it. Now that we have the stacker, I wish we had a full size rig w/o a garage. I wouldn't go smaller than 40' on the next one.

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Oh Christ lol

Where's that impulse buy thread hahaha

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ah, first world problems...:D

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I thought an impulse buy was like a candy bar at the checkout.:crackup:

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can get upto a 45' then you can get a 8'x20' trailer and still be legal.

Look at John Cohorns rig. :up:

Anything in a diesel Id make sure you have a good warranty. :beer:

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

When I have more time later, I will respond. I am in the business.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Not for Broome or brown Broome. That can include some Pricey candy bars.

Barreto927 likes this.
  9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Oh, not this $h!t again.

Wait, this benefits me as well. Carry on.

:D

10. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

I can only but dream of owning one

11. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

12. I knew this kinda shit was coming. :crackup:

But I also know this forum is full on information and a lot of people have motorhomes. It makes more sense to ask here because this place will have people who use their motorhome for the same purpose that I will.

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Hey chaotic, I'm friends with the owner of Tennessee rv, exit 398 on 40. I can get you in touch with him when your ready. He is the largest rv dealer in the south.

14. I completely agree with that. I have the same mentality. Get exactly what you want and go big in the beginning. I went big with my toy hauler (2012 KZ Inferno, 41') but 10' of that is garage. It has 3 slides so the living area is pretty big, but i would like it to be a little bigger. Same goes for the garage; it is 8'x10' which isnt too bad. But by the time i get 3 bikes, toolbox, pit bike, tire cart and stands loaded, it is packed and it gets aggravating loading/unloading it.

A friend recently explained it very well; a toy hauler is a good middle ground, meaning it is a compromise on both accounts. It has a decent garage, but not really big enough. And decent living space, but not really the best.

To truly have the best of both, they need to be separated so each one can be maximized.

I didnt know you could tow something that long and not have any issues. If that is the case, then i might as well get a 45' motorhome because the 45' ones are tandem axle in the back and i think they look better. The ones that are long in the back, but only have the 1 axle look funny to me.

Excellent, thanks. :beer:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  15. I didnt think you would disapprove. :D

16. Once i make a decision, i will have you do that to see what he has and can do for me. I know the place you are talking about, i drive past it all the time on my way to the track.

17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I we just fuckin with ya, but yeah this is where I would come too.

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

19. randy955i

randy955i Well-Known Member

I have been looking, researching for about a year. A couple items
    BUY 3 - 5 years old USED. Many problems will be well documented. They all have problems, it is just which ones you are most comfortable with.

Go the smallest you can, and still have three (3) axles. Some start at 41', some start at 43'

The frame is huge, there is a big difference between the frames on different brands. CHECK out FRAMES, and that will give you your "pool" to start looking

Wiring always seems to be gremlin with motorhomes. I think it is getting better with later (2010+) motorhomes, but still not as solid as I think it should be. Wiring is not rocket science.

Most (if not all) tri-axle motorhomes will accept a class V hitch, the cost difference from a class III is about 75.00, get a class V even if you will not use the full weight rating.

Do not worry about interior as much as you might first think. There are a lot of good RV refurbishing companies that have very good reputations. If you find a great motorhome, with sound frame, engine etc, but the interior is dated and maybe not the colors your wife is looking for, you will be amazed at how easily and cost effectively you can do an interior upgrade. So lets say you find two coaches, one is 175,000.00 and has all the items and color scheme you want, another one is 80,000.00 has a little better engine, frame and layout, but not the interior your wife wants. You may find for 50K you can get a complete interior upgrade, were your wife picks all the colors and designs, and you end up with a better motorhome, for 40K less.

someone above says they are in the business so I suspect they will have a lot more detail and may even contradict some of my findings. These are primarily findings based upon talking to motorhome owners at RV parks, and attending every RV show in the Atlanta area.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

right? He's talking about 3 TV's inside and 1 outside.

I have 2 televisions in my house, and really only 1 that we use with any frequency.