1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The only silver I have is some old coins I collected when I was a kid and didn't sell when the Bass brothers ran everything up around 80. I sold a bunch of my collection then when I was a kid.
    Interesting. 2 drops per shot worth? I will try it.

For me Jameson is the best tasting "cheap whiskey" I've had. I personally can't drink Jack straight, it is ok to mix with coke, but I like my whiskey/scotch straight or on the rocks.

Damn, I need to drink with you experts sometime.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

A buddy and I jumped on the Bass Bros bandwagon back in the day. During the runup, we hit every bank in town, buying rolls of quarters. Nearly every roll we bought had at least one pre '64 quarter in it. We did this for several days, until the banks refused to deal with us any more. We did pretty good at that little game. I think I was 16 or 17 at the time. Early investing success!!!

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Back in highschool I was working at a gas station and a guy paid for his gas with a roll of quarters (back when $10 would actually get you somewhere lol). When I cracked the roll I noticed the sound difference they made on the table when they fell. Then looked closer and notice the different colour and years. I didn't really know what they were at the time but had a hunch they "might" be silver (for you kids out there, we didn't have phones with the internet on it in our pockets at the time lol) so I bought the roll out of the till, and still have it. They are all varying years/purity, but still worth more than the $10 I gave for them.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

BigBird likes this.
  6. Dan Dubeau

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I used to collect coins. "For Fun" my mom would take me to the bank and I would buy rolls of pennies looking for wheeties and rolls of half dollars looking for 65-69 half dollars. Sometimes I would be lucky and get a 64 or earlier which were almost pure silver, but most my loot was made sorting out the 40% silver 65-69 half dollars. Almost never found 64 and older quarters or dimes, so I gave up on them.

I never made anything off the wheetie pennies, and probably till have them somewhere. Found a few WWII steel pennies. For birthdays or Christmas, my parents bought me a proof set of that year and I still have all of them from when I was born in 64. It was probably around 74 when I started collecting.

motion and YamahaRick like this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

A great market day today.

I only need a small increase in my stocks and I'll be at only a 50% loss. woo hoo.

I guess I can be a junior associate at Motion and Bird LLP.

Too be fair they are all swing for the fences type of stocks. But when a 50% haircut looks good you know you belong at Motion and Bird LLP.

:D

motion and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Motion & Bird were SNAP owners? :)

motion likes this.
  10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its on sale. BUY BUY BUY. Thank me later.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm right with you... I finally capitulated on my Robinhood portfolio yesterday and dumped everything. -47%. I was at -70%, so I'm calling this a victory :D

BigBird, SuddenBraking and ChemGuy like this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You guys have a weird idea of "growing your wealth". :D

motion likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

-50% is still a better return than racing.

Racing = -200%, minimum.

So from that perspective it is a win....:D

BigBird, KneeDragger_c69 and motion like this.
  14. Elsinore

Elsinore Well-Known Member

Looking for beeb reviews of Wealth Assistants dot com.
    They claim 1 year investment money back guarantee. $35k min.
    If yes,no, or maybe - anyone know real life examples of good or bad luck with investments into e-commerce? Amazon AWS in particular.
    At a minimum, enforcing the actual ability to recover the initial investment if they go south...or further south....assuming the Miami office is legit.
    Should I play along with them and learn more? or does it look like a case of bait and switch.

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

BigBird likes this.
  16. auminer

Ponzi.

/thread

17. Dan Dubeau

If people are trying to sell you a path to riches, you are part of the path to their riches.

Stock market in general? :D

motion likes this.
  18. auminer

No. The stock market in general is an excellent place to invest in your LONG TERM financial goals.

I was only referring to the situation outlined in the OP. No one can guarantee performance over the course of a year unless they are counting on future investors to pay off past investors. Which is the textbook definition of.... ???

19. Dan Dubeau

A sound investment? ;)

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Sure it is, if you're selling it...