1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I believe city of ATL is cracking down on airbnb listings. Once they figure out a way to tax them, the pressure will ease.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

without getting too political, I’m of the opinion that there is conflict coming. I want to be able to arm those closest to me. Read the books generations, and the 4th turning.

You may be right about the Airbnb thing, but I only plan on doing two… one in downtown LA and one in Santa Monica. No one complains about them here, and everyone I know with an Airbnb has them rented at minimum 23 days a month. It’s at minimum 5k cash flow per unit plus cleaning fees. On top of any equity I may build. And I’ll be able to afford the mortgages on both should I find myself needing to. I’m waiting for the LA market to drop to pull the trigger on buying, which looks like it will be in the next 9-24 months. that way I can at least dump them if shit goes haywire politically or if I move in the next 5ish years to a more conservative state where my family will feel safe if California gets too crazy. In the meantime I’m stacking paper and buying metals/btc so I can take advantage of the recession.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Sweatypants likes this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Don't worry about the Koreans. They can handle any situation on their own. Awesome people.
    [​IMG]

cortezmachine likes this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

o_O

KneeDragger_c69 and R1M370 like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The only thing hard with BTC, is the junk in his pants.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You want to avoid "crazy", yet Santa Monica is about as crazy as it can possibly get. DTLA will be a no-man's land one of these days. You're not in your 20's any longer, @cortezmachine, so your tolerance for risk should be minimized. I would suggest that you go talk to a professional about what to do to meet your financial goals. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a professional would recommend a vastly different strategy than what you have outlined.

7. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Seams reasonable. Except I don’t share your views on either dtla or Santa Monica. When I say crazy I mean direct confrontations in the streets between rival parties. I have an inkling that there will be a right wing wave in these dem controlled cities at some point when people finally start realizing how far it’s fallen. The writings already on the wall. I’m not giving up on my home that easy. I worked my fucking ass off to get back here. I’ve started contributing to campaigns and am going to start doing volunteer work for candidates I support.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

i was wondering about that like, lolol

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

What a bunch a fuckin pussies.

I love the redefining of the terms of recession too

10. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

This is far too reasonable and logical to be coming from the c0-founder of MBI. Somebody has hacked your account, @motion

YamahaRick, motion and cortezmachine like this.
  11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

hahaha

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

See my signature line.

13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

?

14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

It's a documentary, not a comedy.

I prefer: “Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” You guess where we are in the cycle.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

You’re more right than you know.
    As I said, Read the book generations and the 4th turning

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

If only I could take my own advice

Boman Forklift and YamahaRick like this.
  17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Know it well along with Thucydides trap.

18. Boman Forklift

If you took your own advice, you would buy another place down here by me.....but instead of being in the family area like me, you would be in snobville, and we could go riding once in awhile.

Next time you are down here, hit me up and you can crash at my place. Kids are gone and rooms aren't being used, but have nice comfy beds.

motion likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks for the nice offer, Rob. I do need to get back down there to see my kid. I doubt I'll ever buy a place in SoCal again... the state's politics are in my rearview mirror now. I was thinking of renting a crashpad in south OC or Miami... maybe next year. Really miss the Calif racing scene and Perris skydiving, as well as Salt Creek beach and of course, Trader Joes.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Boman Forklift

Funny you mention Trader Joes. Tyler’s apartment in Manhattan is close to a Trader Joe’s. He said that is a selling point in NYC and you often see a little higher rent on places close to Trader Joe’s.

Wouldn’t it be cool to own a business that is so highly thought of, it actually effects peoples renting decisions, and drives market rates.