1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Lunches

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Sep 24, 2017.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Do you think private industry and defense contracts are completely different companies?

Example, do you think some fairy f*cking Godmother mystery company made the Hummer?

Wanna know who designed the M1 Abrams? Go to a Dodge dealership.

Boeing makes the C5 Galaxy AND the 747.

Good Business practices don't work in Government because Government is not oriented in profit and loss. The Government often spends more money trying to save money than they would have saved trying NOT to save money. The aquisitions process is so bloated in it's checks and balances...that's the $400 hammer. Instead of just getting hammer, there has to be a bidding process to procure the hammer from different vendors, there has to be a selection committee, and oversight by the Inspector General's office to ensure the hammer was purchased at the lowest cost and done ethically. Once the vetting process is completed, the hammer is obsolete compared to the ones available at Lowes with fiberglass handles instead of the wood ones the Government initially ordered, so they ask for a redesign that incurs further cost overruns. Total up all that up, and it represents the $400 hammer.

And spare me the woe is me over Alzheimers...it's in my family, too. So is diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and strokes. So cry me a river on that one.

2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

No, GPS is a requirement for sailing. Otherwise we go back to sextants and spherical trig. If you are within a couple miles then you are good with a sextant.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Or LORAN, which is making a comeback...

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Having a vision isn't inventing.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, in shipping I could see it being a huge benefit, didn't think about that. But would they have paid for it if the US DOD didn't? Would they have paid for the satellites and all the R&D on the receivers?

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Back to the whole school lunch thing, I drove past an elementary school during lunch hour yesterday. You would be hard pressed to convince me that many of those little fuckers missed meals and that there was a need for me to feed them...

SWAT_Spyder76 likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That tired old argument? I'll beat the left to the punch with nutrition ghetto.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

And I will beat Dern to the punch and say not my problem. If parents are so stupid that they buy booze, smokes and other unnecessary shit instead of healthy food for their kids then I doubt the child that was the result of the pairing of those less intelligent genes would really become much anyhow. Of course there are exceptions but I would need to see some tangible results before I would be happy spending a shit ton of money feeding others kids.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I drive past an elementary school, a special learning center, and a middle school four times a day (to work, home for lunch, back to work, home for the night). Kids are FAT. One kid (the school goes through 7th grade, so he couldn't have been but 13 or 14) was easily 250+lbs and had a FULL BEARD. Moral of the story - cheap, shitty food will make you fat and fuck up your endocrine system.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What's weird is seeing normal size parents with fat kids.
    When I was in school, there weren't that many fat kids, and the ones that were usually came from fat families.
    You'd think reasonably fit people would do something about their obese children.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

This morning I made the kid a turkey sammich on gluten free whole grain bread with soy-free mayo, a handful of grapes, four baby dill gherkins and a wholly guacamole single serve cup. For her snacks she got an organic fruit and veggie gummies, an organic fruit leather and a gluten, soy and dairy free energy bar. That was after making her breakfast of three nitrite free sausage links and a fried egg.

Guess I should have given her the $2.70 so she could eat chicken fingers and some slimy over cooked institutionally packaged vegetable thing and slept another 10 minutes.

SGVRider likes this.
  12. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Out of curiosity, do you and the wife eat what she eats or do you prepare special meals just for her? How difficult is it to food shop for her?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fuckin hippie....

:crackup:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Whole fam damily eats like that.

Not hard at all if you're not buying processed, prepared foods. Raw ingredients for the most part, and we know the things can get that are OK.

No.

15. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Is this why you're grumpy all the time :Poke: :D

:beer:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No such thing as nitrite free sausage. :Poke::D

17. In Your Corner

Dad worked for the DOD, mom worked for the IRS, please do fill me in on how and why the government is inefficient.
    I wasn't crying over your ignorant Alzheimer's remark, just saying you're a jerk for saying it.
    Just because someone in your family has it doesn't mean you get a pass on being offensive.

So what you're saying about Boeing is that the government just paid them to build shit they were already building but to different specifications.
    The government didn't invent the airplane.
    They paid to have Jeeps produced, but they didn't invent the automobile.
    The inventions that changed the world weren't created for the purpose of war.
    The cotton gin, the steam engine, the internal combustion engine, the automobile, the airplane, electricity, the light bulb, radio, television, telephones, home computers, smartphones, etc.
    The government affects the process and drives the development of certain technologies, but other technologies not thus driven still advance.
    Capitalism and the need to produce increasingly useful products drives technological advances just fine.
    Yes, there is the transfer of technology and products to the private sector here and there, but there is far more produced for the military that is useless to the average person.
    I suppose M&Ms are a benefit, but who needs a railgun?
    Of the things that are useful to society, there is no reason to believe they would have gone uninvented or unproduced.

18. In Your Corner

Yes.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:Puke:

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You eat like this because of allergies right?