1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Lunches

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Sep 24, 2017.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I saw this on FB and it brought me back to my school days. I can remember when they handed out lunch tickets and the kids on free or reduced lunches were singled out by getting different colored tickets and were looked down upon.

Call me whatever political insult you want, I don't see why we can't just make school breakfast and lunch free. For a lot of kids, it's the only option they have for a quality balanced meal (while we're at it, we can work on the quality too). I'd much rather remove the stress of being hungry from the kids than buy the football team new uniforms.

IMG_3603.JPG

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

No such thing as free.

cav115, j cal and TurboBlew like this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Not sure where that is , but in a large portion of Illinois most of the schools are partially free and reduced lunches. In addition, many in rural Southern Illinois are 100% free and reduced. I don't have specific figures, just going off personal experience.

Shenanigans likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Of course, but we're providing the education for "free", so why not feed them?

Food is such an emotional subject. You probably wouldn't understand unless you've truly been hungry.

badmoon692008 and jase like this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

True, but those programs still rely on somebody setting them up. If the parents don't make the effort, why punish the kids?

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Better clothe them too. Can't have poor kids wearing beat up tennies while the other kids have $300 Nikes.

cav115 and crashman like this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There you go. Let us all see how big of an asshole you can be. What if it was your kid whose belly is twisted up with hunger pains. And don't feed me some bullshit about teaching the kids personal responsibility. How is a 10 year old kid gonna make sure his parents give him money?

8. pickled egg

If my kids were twisted up with hunger whose fault would it be?

Yeah. That's right. Mine. And you can be guarandamnteed that I'd be even hungrier than they are. As is, I don't eat until the wife and kids have all had their fill.

cav115 and sharkattack like this.
  9. onenut

onenut Well-Known Member

You got that mixed up for todays world, it's the poor kids with the $300 shoes now. Value systems are f'ed now a days....I do agree school food should be free though as it sucked being one of those free lunch kids when I was young. I hate to think what the public schools use my taxes for now, we pay for private school and know exactly where the money goes and it shows example from friday, stepson was doing a group interactive math class online with his school issued latop, public school friends came over after school and said we made tiedyed tee shirts today....this are highschool kids.

10. pickled egg

I was hoping someone would see through the irony ;) :beer:

11. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Personal responsibility won't exist in our culture anymore.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes it would be your fault, just as it is most likely the fault of these kids shitty parents. Why make the kids suffer? My even introduce the potential for it?

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

And these programs allow the parents to be shitty. I know far too many people around here that have money for all sorts of shit but take advantage of the "free" lunches because they can.

cav115 likes this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So eliminate it from the equation. We pay for transportation, we pay for real estate, we pay for athletics, we pay for technology, we pay for horny young teachers to have access to a smorgasbord of horny teenage boys, why can't we just roll food into it?

15. pickled egg

And clothes.

cav115 likes this.
  16. pickled egg

Oh, and here's what passes for a lunch entree at my daughter's elementary school...

Attached Files:

cav115 likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Should we buy everyone a car when they turn 16?

18. pickled egg

Sure. What's to stop us?

cav115 likes this.
  19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The food is certainly shit. Have they thrown out the Moo-chelle Obummer rules yet?

20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Hope (and Change) not...she needs that for the 2020 run for the WH. :eek: