1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scandalous O

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Buckwild, Feb 15, 2020.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You wanna see a half dozen pissed off Irishmen rioting in the streets? :crackup:

cav115 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lost me there. Was thinking that there are still comics pushing the envelope like Chappelle and so on that could make a movie like it.

3. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

It would definitely have to come from an African American producer.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

“We’ll take the Big N’s and the Peoples of Asian Ancestry, but not the Irish!”

cav115 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahhhhh, I only remember the good bits about Mongo :crackup:

cav115 likes this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Were there any?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of them of course.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Don't you mean Senator Byrd? :Poke:

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m not. It’s been demonstrated time and time again that they’re not America’s best or brightest.

Buckwild likes this.
  10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

[
    Lots of variables in every case, impossible to judge as a group.

How many times are things skewed by media/perps?

I know many very sharp Police, Sheriffs/deputies/ State patrol officers.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ignore Garth.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, please by all means. :crackup:

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Alex Karras was hilarious in that role.

Honestly- he was good in most his acting portrayals

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It is true that language evolves. However, I'm not so sure I would equate my father calling me uppity, which is shorthand for impertinent given the context, with one adult calling another adult uppity.

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

You failed to read his text.

From what I read about the incident, both Gates and Crowley failed to back down and were at basically at fault.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I had professors call me uppity when I raised questions regarding their qualifications. I was, in fact, uppity. Can it have racial connotations? Sure. There are some that feel describing someone as lazy is now racist. I have a problem with people looking for way to be offended and to pigeonhole people based on non-universal criteria. They essentially say "we don't care what your intent was, we don't care how you have been using this word, phrase, sign for the last 75 years. We have unilaterally determined that it is now racist and we will define you as such if you don't alter your behavior." Seems uppity to me.

cav115 likes this.
  17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Uppity bitch...

is usually the way I have heard it and typically directed at uninterested females. I can imagine it paired with other nouns or used in other contexts, but just haven't heard it.

XFBO likes this.
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It is not surprising that you were called uppity, by your father, by your professors, you are an inquisitive person, and learning does not move in a linear fashion, plenty of discomfort to be had all around. But both those examples were in a context of learning. The context in which the term uppity was first used here is decidedly different.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't get uppity.

cav115 likes this.
  20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I actually agree with your use there. Living 98% of my life in the north east, I KNOW how I've used it and/or heard it and it was usually in a ball busting fashion as you just did with Rick. I've also heard it to describe not the friendliest of women or men, typically interchangeable with a snob.

Now, because frankly, I'm sick of seeing the silly word still being discussed, I googled it and now see that THAT word was negatively used in the south by white men disparaging black folk. I'm truly sorry to all people of color who were likely wronged by those evil racist southern white men [who were, incidentally, most likely Democrats BTW but we'll keep IGNORING that reality] but just because those people dirtied up a f'cking spoken word in the English language does NOT mean everyone else who uses it is racist, get a f'ing clue already.
    CNN would be very proud of some of you tho. LOL!

uppity
    adjective
    up·pi·ty | \ ˈə-pə-tē \
    Definition of uppity

: putting on or marked by airs of superiority : ARROGANT, PRESUMPTUOUS

BTW- Both Gates AND Obama fit the definition above, as does the Cuomo's including Fredo, DiBlasio POS, and countless others. I'd even say Dick Cheney had an air of arrogance, back in the day. ;)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    cav115 likes this.